Author Topic: Damage display  (Read 1955 times)

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Damage display
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 03:01:25 PM »
the only thing u need to do is press ctrl d at the beggining of your flight...

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 03:35:42 PM »
I think it would be very convenient if there was a box to check under prefs/flight that would leave the damage display on all the time, as opposed to having to type control D   every hop.

+ 1, I would also like the option of having a "Check Box" in the preferences/flight to either check to have the Cntrl D ( Damage List ) show up automatically or leave unchecked to leave it up to do manually if people desire not to have it showing the current "All Systems Normal" in "Green text color" as it currently does.....

this wold be the same options as checking the

Flight Preferences:
-Auto Takeoff
-No Tracers
-Auto Combat Trim
-Enable Stall Limiter
-Auto Film Sorties
-WW1 Engine Governor
-Auto DISPLAY DAMAGE <--- New requested wish

and all though some think it is quiet easy and simple to type CNTRL D to toggle the show damage display, it is not as easy as it appears when one is in a knock down drag out dogfight with another or against 1 vs 2 or 3..... having the ability to have this auto checked to display at the launching of each sortie would be beneficial to anyone who desires this preference as well as helping the new incoming players.... I would go further and request that the game automatically loads up after a New fresh install of the game with this New Feature automatically enabled. then if some wish not to have it enabled, they can go in and uncheck it... just like unchecking the Tracers option, the combat trim option , the Stall Limiter option...etc....

if hitech creations decides to coad this, I think it would be very much a welcomed "new" preference option, most would appreciate....and for those who do not like it, they are well versed enough to know where to go to turn it off, if it eerks them to have it automatically on

:aok Great wish/request  SF !  I like it

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 03:41:20 PM »
what's wrong with ctrl+d when you hit the runway...if it's really important that is
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 03:43:57 PM »
Meh...

I check my wings and look back when I hear a snap.  That's plenty to look for radiator, gas leak, flap, aileron, elevator, and vertical stab damage, and it takes all of 2 seconds.  If all is good, all is good.  I see no reason for this crutch, personally...  Then again, I like realism.  Pressing a button at least pretends like you actually checked for damage.

-1 here.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 03:53:46 PM »
what's wrong with ctrl+d when you hit the runway...if it's really important that is

to me, I have no problem with it, I actually do that now and then, when I launch  somtimes....

it would help the newer players and the new incoming players to have it in the Flight Preferences, and have it automatically set...so they would know when they got hit by another opponent, that they have damage, because of the way the Damage list has changed from the old days, it showed all possible components that could be damaged in green, which turned rad when a component became damaged...now with the new revised Damage list, it only shows a one lien "All Systems Normal" in green...in the top left corner of the screen.and onlyif dmage is occured does it start listing each individual component damaged in red....

the new comers just getting into the game are most times unaware that this function even exists ( as well as prob a good portion of current players who may have been here for a few months or year possibly )

so what is wrong with HTC coading one little extra "Flight Preferences option", which would not really affect any of the current players, but would indeed help the newer players or new players that have yet signed up to play aces high......

It would also help benefit these newer players in learning what parts that get damaged allow them to continue to fly and fight, and which ones are a little more important and hamper their flying......and then which parts actually cause them to be unable to continue controlled flight or stay airborne...

once the newer players become more adapt at the finer aspects of the game, they can go in and uncheck the box if they desire to not use it.....

I am looking at it from a different perspective I think than most.... some call it a lazy request, some call it a crutch.. I call it a learning tool

just my view
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 04:18:17 PM »
The problem I see as using it as a "learning tool" is you are teaching with a crutch that will never be taken away.

The reason things like the "stall limiter" works is because there is a performance benefit to shutting it off.  So once you get past the learning stages, you have a motivation to shut it off.

I would just make the arena message on first log-in display a few of the commands they may need.  That'd serve multiple purposes.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:22:19 PM by SectorNine50 »

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 04:37:11 PM »
Have you seen the damage list in WW1? It takes up half the screen. I realize such an occurrence would be a catastrophic event, but still....

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 04:53:12 PM »
Meh...

I check my wings and look back when I hear a snap.  That's plenty to look for radiator, gas leak, flap, aileron, elevator, and vertical stab damage, and it takes all of 2 seconds.  If all is good, all is good.  I see no reason for this crutch, personally...  Then again, I like realism.  Pressing a button at least pretends like you actually checked for damage.

-1 here.

me too  :aok it works great, especially in the p-51D, any of the bubble canopies actually

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 09:23:12 PM »
Have you seen the damage list in WW1? It takes up half the screen. I realize such an occurrence would be a catastrophic event, but still....

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 09:25:03 PM »
 :rofl the sad thing is... thats real. :(

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 10:09:20 PM »

wrongway

wrongway

wrongway,
that is from an older version of the game, it no longer shows up showing every single component, if nothing is damaged, it shows up in Green Text color when Ctrl D is toggled as:

"All Systems Normal"

when something becomes damaged it shows up in red text color:

left flap
right elevator
left gun

and only shows those components that become damaged.... this goes for both WWII and WWI aircraft

I fail to see it as being a "learning tool crutch" , that will be teaching new players using a "crutch", that will once learned of what cause planes to fly with missing parts a certian way & what missing or damaged parts make the plane unflyable...would be something that would never be taken away.... if any individual did not want the "All Systems Normal" green text line showing, then all they have to do is disable the Auto Show "Display Damage" in the Flight Preferences......... if HTC was to provide the community with such a wishful request....

I have nothing further to say about it, if HTC ( Hitech Creations / Aces High ) thinks this is a good potential wish request, then they will prehaps grant this wish.... if they ( HTC ) feel like it is an absurd wishful request, then they will not grant the AH community with it.......

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 11:00:31 PM »
Meh...

-1 here.
when i hear a snap, the way i find out is when im spiraling through the air uncontrollably and about to go boom :D

but honestly i say just ctrl D on the runway. problem solved. just make it a habit to do it if you need the damage markers so badly

I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 02:10:25 PM »
ctrl-d should stay on just like ctrl-i does. theres no good reason it should reset between flights.. just a waste of a keystroke for no reason.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
The problem I see as using it as a "learning tool" is you are teaching with a crutch that will never be taken away.

I like having the damage list up, and here is my reasoning...  It gives immediate information that you would have known immediately if you were in a real aircraft.  You see, if you are flying a real aircraft and somebody pounds off half of your elevator, you feel it through the controls AS IT IS HAPPENING.  You know instantly theat your elevator has been hit.  Currently in AH, you hear the hits and may OR may not immediately know that your elevator has been hit.  If you are in straight and level flight, you may not even be able to SEE that half your elevator is gone when you look back.

With ctrl-d up on the screen, you get the instant information that the limits of a video game cannot provide.

I would like it if I could set a preference for the list to default on.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 02:21:39 PM »
Would you feel it though?  Wouldn't the whole aircraft shudder when being hit?