Author Topic: "horde" moratorium  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
"horde" moratorium
« on: April 02, 2011, 04:39:18 PM »
I propose a moratorium on using the word "horde" until HiTech provides us with a definition.  Currently it seems that the word is being used to describe any group of planes larger than 1.

Please officially quantify it so it can be used properly.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: "horde" moratorium
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »
It is all relative to where the vTARDS are at. ... .... ....  What?   Did I say something wrong???   :devil
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 05:34:16 PM »
It is all relative to where the vTARDS are at. ... .... ....  What?   Did I say something wrong???   :devil

I'm flattered but a lot of Bishops see hordes as a good thing and I can only assume, at least some citizens of the Rooks and Knights.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 05:52:35 PM »
I'm flattered but a lot of Bishops see hordes as a good thing

Did anyone ever say that hordes are bad?

A large group of people working together, seems like a good thing to me.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 05:54:56 PM »
The players that hate them the most are those that realize they like to fight but haven't yet learned how to effectively fight the horde yet.  So what I'm saying is, if you detest hordes, it is because you have a lot left to learn.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 05:58:55 PM »
The players that hate them the most are those that realize they like to fight but haven't yet learned how to effectively fight the horde yet.  So what I'm saying is, if you detest hordes, it is because you have a lot left to learn.

+1, thanks for putting it in perspective better

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 06:20:45 PM »
its funny how people complain about hordes when they sometimes fly in one...

its like screaming sand in a desert, pointless.

But...id like to see how many people it would take to be classified as a horde maybe 5? 10? who knows....

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 06:24:04 PM »
I think the numbers of the people in the horde depends on the ratio, if there is 1 nit and 5 bish that that's a horde, if there are 4 nits and 5 bith than that's not a horde, if there are 5 nits and 20bish than that's a horde.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 06:37:33 PM »

I wouldn't call picking the lemmings as they dive into their latest capture "fighting the horde".

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »
last night the rooks and the knights were hording each other in one epic battle at a53.  I was with the knights and somehow a bishop accused me of going with the horde on the other side of the map.  apparently you can also fly with a horde fighting against another horde and somebody else from another horde in a different part of the map, can accuse you of hording.  am I the only one confused here?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline climber

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 10:42:38 PM »
Well I usually keep quiet and just read but a couple of beers have made me loquacious (sp?).

The word "horde" and folks talking about it being a bad thing is starting to get under my skin.  Yep there are those folks who like to furball, be it in aircraft or even gv's (yes they furball too but in their own little way) but there are others, like myself, who like to take real estate.  I don't especially like to die even in cartoon world.  Do I get ticked off if I die, sometimes, but I try to tell myself it's just a silly game and reup.

For those realtors of us it makes sense to have as much of an advantage as possible when doing our thing to keep our cartoon planes flying.  I don't have a military background but did attend a college that was one of 4 senior military colleges in the states.  This meant that I was in a corps of cadets, lived in barracks-style dorms, wore uniforms and took four total years of Army ROTC.  I never served active duty for personal reasons but hold an extreme respect for those who did/do.  There we learned lots of different things from history to basic squad infantry tactics.  There was an interesting acronym (goodness how the military loves it's acronyms) that I always think of when folks begin to state their disgust in hordes.  This acronym is MOSSMOUSE and here it is spelled out:
Mass
Offensive
Simplicity
Surprise
Maneuver
Objective
Unity of Command
Security
Economy of Force

The first one is there for a reason (not to make a cute acronym that sounds like a slow moving rodent) MASS.  If you out number the enemy you have a good chance of beating him.  Did Stormin' Norman go into Iraq with only a wing of attack aircraft?  Heck no!  He hit them with everything he had including a coalition of nations that dwarfed the Iraqi army. 

Here is that acronym again in AH terms:

Mass: already said. enough pilots/gv drivers to get the job done even with attrition
Offensive:  taking the attack.  Move forward and not wait for the enemy to attack first
Simplicity:  mission planner puts together a mission with a select group of A/C to accomplish mission
Surprise:  NOE???
Maneuver:  "we pop right before town, buffs hit town, JABO's hit hangers and hold remainder for gv's and provide cap, goons standby until needed"
Objective:  we hit this first then, next, then next so on and so forth until we get the base to turn green
Unity of Command:  simple in AH.  This is mission vox, I made the mission therefore I'm in command...
Security:  Hey what are those fighters doing over the field?  Some say vulchers I call them security.
Economy of force:  make sure everyone is working toward the objective.  If you die come back in a ...

I'm beginning to think that the folks who complain the most about the "hordes" are either too inept to fight them, want everyone to fight where they will get an easy kill (sorry but you don't pay my $15 for me), or have had their sister taken by a horde.  I don't want to tell someone how to play the game any more than I want them to dictate to me how I should play but get over it folks!  It's part of the game.  If you don't like it, find a way to beat the horde (pork their ords to prevent the attack) or go to the DA. 

Well, i'm sure i've offended someone and i'm not really sorry.  It's a tough world, wear a helmet.  The excess beer in my system is screaming to get out and i've said all I wanted to said, and I plan on saying nothing more.

Thanks for your time.

-Climber
77th FS "Gamblers"
Usually found on fire being shot to oblivion in some "horde"/base take.  Occasionally even attempting to get some furball action in order to try to learn more ACM thus bettering myself in game and take more real estate.
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 11:06:21 PM »
I detest the 'horde' because I like small scale engagements with people who
like to fight as much as I do, starting off on fair or close to fair setting,

I do not recall a single time time I've seen a vtard that engages without a
total numbers advantage.

Being gangraped by 30 cons with a huge alt advantage is not my thing, sorry.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 11:26:09 PM »
You may as well keep detesting us because we certainly aren't going anywhere.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 11:33:12 PM »
What do you think I've been doing, genius?  :rolleyes:
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 01:07:42 AM »
I detest the 'horde' because I like small scale engagements with people who
like to fight as much as I do, starting off on fair or close to fair setting,

I do not recall a single time time I've seen a vtard that engages without a
total numbers advantage.

Being gangraped by 30 cons with a huge alt advantage is not my thing, sorry.

They use the horde is a different way. Can't think of a good way to explain it but here is an example. If you have one noob fight an experienced pilot that the noob will die, but if you have 10 noobs fight one experienced pilot the noobs will win. So while other squads train their pilots to be good, they just use hordes.
So I'm ok with the vtards using hordes because that does not give them any advantage, it just makes them sort of equal.

no offence to any vtard
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn