Author Topic: Which P-38?  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
Which P-38?
« on: April 02, 2011, 08:10:38 PM »
I've been playing the game for a few years and now that im really getting into the aviation world i started playing online. I really like the P-38 just wondering which of the 3 is the best? I like to dogfight but prefer the attack role.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
Re: Which P-38?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »
Attack role, chose the P38L. It carries more ord and the rocket configuration has less drag than that of the P38J. For pure dogfighter role, all three models are great. The P38G has the tightest turn radius of the three. The P38J and L variants have nearly identical performance, with the L having boosted airlerons which improve roll rate. It really just boils down to personal preference.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 08:41:01 PM »
 :aok Thanks ive mainly been flying the L  :salute

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:03:26 AM »
P38G naturally :)

Don't listen to those J and L drivers!
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:11:51 AM »
To follow up on what Plazus was saying the 38L is the best for hauling ordnance, it carries more with the smallest drag penalty once that ordnance is expended.  The J/L weigh more than the G does but have more powerful engines, the extra power will help vertical performance, and they fight uphill better than the G does.  Some people believe that the J handles better than the L, I can't speak to that directly as I never flew the L very much (I just like the skin options on the J more).  The J and L have the same engines, the same airframe and the same weight in game, the L has the boosted ailerons which will help roll rate at high speed and the dive recovery flaps (not dive brakes), as a result the performance is very similar. 

These days I fly the G for the most part because I think it looks better and I like the history associated with the F-H models more so than the later J and L series.  The G carries less internal fuel so be aware that it will have shorter legs for the same fuel load than the other two it also lacks WEP so vertical performance isn't quite as good either, most will say that it turns better as well although I'm not sure how true that is anymore since an error was found awhile back and a few hundred pounds of weight was added as a result.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 01:21:10 PM »
No Matter.

With my spittie i will shoot down all p38 models and pilots.

rat-tat-tat-tatttt-ttt

ck your 6!

:neener:
mobilis in mobile

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 01:30:13 PM »
No Matter.

With my spittie i will shoot down all p38 models and pilots.

rat-tat-tat-tatttt-ttt

ck your 6!

:neener:

:rofl
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 04:02:13 PM »
L also has the dive flaps which help with compressibility marginally. Main thing with the 38s and diving is to control the speed so that you don't lawn dart.
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
A real peelot flies the L because it has more closet space for your collection of high heels...................

+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 06:56:20 PM »
Thanks a lot guys I'm still playing with it and deciding which i like the best  :aok :salute
Hope to see some of you guys in the skies :airplane:

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 04:56:22 PM »
I've been playing the game for a few years and now that im really getting into the aviation world i started playing online. I really like the P-38 just wondering which of the 3 is the best? I like to dogfight but prefer the attack role.

Check out the 113th Lucky Strikes, a Knight, Late War, Squad that uses the P38 in both the attack and fighter mode.  We fly every Saturday evening starting at 7:00 PM EDST, Vox 113.  Come wing up , check out our AHWIKI page .
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 02:58:02 PM »
Traveler- Thanks for the invite i'm gonna be a little busy for another week or so but before if i get on ill let you know  :aok

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 03:38:09 PM »
I prefer The G for most everything

I will use the L if im flying into a horde and need speed to extend to a better vantage point

J is overrated IMO :neener:
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 05:59:29 PM »
Note performance of the 'dive flap' isn't just drop flap and not compress. Combat trim and the need to deploy the flap before you dive can greatly effect it's effect.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 07:27:39 PM »
So then which model has the dive flap? Often when i am using the 38 for attack i get to altitude and dive bomb on the target? Thanks