Author Topic: Met A Fellow The Other Night  (Read 6910 times)

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
Re: Met A Fellow The Other Night
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2011, 08:56:51 PM »
Define the word tool plz.
Tool: n. Someone who is useless and idiotic in all aspects.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2011, 09:23:44 PM »
Edit.

Define the word tool plz.

Urbandictionary.com will have your definition!
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Bellator

• Copper Member
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2011, 10:30:53 PM »
I guess I was one of the lucky ones.
The first person I encountered in the game was Yenny.
Nuff said......................... ...

<S> Bellator

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2011, 11:20:54 PM »
This isn't a chesspiece thing, I started as nit and found plenty of nice folks to help. The problem was all those tools on the rook and bish sides who kept shooting me down!  :lol

New players are the only thing that will keep this or any other game going. A little razzing is all good fun, but abuse all the new folks and make sure their playing experience is a miserable one and you'll see subscriptions dwindle and our favorite game eventually die off.

Butcher, do you fly under that game ID? If so you either had some previous online flight sim experience or are a very fast learner!

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2011, 12:58:00 AM »

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2011, 01:42:30 AM »
The first time I fell for alt+f4 it wasn't directed at me. I saw someone ask how to get lead computing gunsight in p51, and someone told him to alt+f4.

I thought it was pretty funny, but I was 11.

Says something about the people who like alt+f4ing noobs.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2011, 07:57:20 AM »

The point of this is, I was appalled that veteran players would jerk around a new guy like that (there was other inaccurate "advice" as well).  And this guy was NOT a kid.  In fact, he was older than most of us and very interested in learning the new game he'd just found.  Frankly, even though they were Knits, I'm was a bit ashamed of for the community as a whole.  This is not what we need to keep the game alive and fun.

Around 2004 and a bit prior, "kid humor" began to predominate.  School yard stuff.  BBS reflected the change too.  Well as along as there's some grown ups like you Sloe we in good stead still.

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2011, 08:32:44 AM »
Hence the reason our rotation into Knitland, which is scheduled for 2 months, normally only last a month or less.  Although we try to get along with everyone, the knits seem to have an overabundance of arrogant @%%hol

If we Knights have so many arrogant individuals,you could just skip the Nits on your rotation!I've flown for all three chess pieces,and believe me there are just as many arrogant,non six calling,kill stealing,vulgar,etc, on each chess piece!
Dobey

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2011, 08:04:54 PM »
This guy was upping M4's repeatedly

How does a newb have enough perks to up an m4 repeatedly?  :headscratch:

Offline Navy84

• Zinc Member
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2011, 10:52:35 PM »
WTG Sloehand, we need more like you :salute

LT. Navy84
VF-17 Jolly Rogers

It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from it's government - Thomas Paine

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2011, 12:17:38 AM »
Tool: n. Someone who is useless and idiotic in all aspects.
Im thinking something else. But, good try.
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2011, 12:19:34 AM »
Began my subscription a week ago, thanks to the Rooks giving me the Alt + F4 advice, I went knit. So far everyones been just awesome to fly with, whether its FB, 68th, AK or the many other squads (these are just a few recently I winged with daily). While I get the joke some think they are Aces, in reality its a video game and some of us are just trying to learn, it doesn't hurt to tell someone what the command for dive breaks are.

Its one thing to ask "How do I fly my plane" - which needs the TA, however other advice like difference between AP and HE would really help a player out.
Believe it or not, some haven't played war games like some of us have.
If the sun ever gets too hot, just get under the nearest shade tree  :aok
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline JDOD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:26 AM »
I remember when i was new, I was in a Mission and someone asked how to calibrate their bombsite and some said use ALT + F4 for laser guided bombs, something like that. Well i hit ALT + F4, i was in that flight for about 45 min I believed. Was mad at first but got over it. Good Times... Good Times.

I hate seeing tho ALT + F4 Trick been used on the new guys, all ya need is for him to switch countries or leave for good and later possibly becoming a Great Stick. I try to help the new out the best i can. I even help this one guy out for about 3 hours I believe. I'm not the best here to teach a new guy the tricks but if no one will, ill try my best.

<S> Sloehand
C.O. of the -=Dirty Aces=-

Possibly one of the worst sticks in game.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2011, 09:55:12 AM »
I don't think I've ever used the Alt-F4 line, but it is possible. I have a theory on it.

There was a time when being online, being in an online community, and playing games online in that community took a predefined level of skill. There was an intellectual prerequisite that meant you earned your place to be there. You were technically savvy enough to do this, so you belonged. Things changed. Partly Microsoft and Apple's fault for making getting online so idiot-proof.

I don't see the Alt-F4 as a 2nd grade humor. I don't see it as children repeating it. It's old-school. The older folks are doing it and perpetuating it. It stems from a time when you had to actually know how to dial in with a modem or fill-in-the-blank. Now every foul-mouthed 8-year-old with an ego complex is filling the game and forums, I see the Alt-F4 resurgence as a reaction to this. I see it as... possibly... a way of getting back at those that don't belong. Perhaps there's an element of elitism in there. Perhaps it's also about retaining the "good old times"... And perhaps it's also about teaching these young people they don't know it all and that maybe there's a lot they have yet to learn.

I think all of those combined play a major part.

At least, that's my pet theory.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
How does a newb have enough perks to up an m4 repeatedly?  :headscratch:

:headscratch:
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74