Author Topic: Met A Fellow The Other Night  (Read 6707 times)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Re: Met A Fellow The Other Night
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 12:48:10 PM »
Oh lord, really? Its a tradition to mess with the "newbs" like that. Hell, I got all the tricks pulled on me when I started.

Poor behavior is poor behavior regardless of how many times, or how long, it's been done.

This kind of teasing of newbs kind of ranks up there with torturing puppies or kittens --- it takes a very weak person to do it.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 12:48:25 PM »
Wait a minute Zoom, that's not what you told me when i was first asking on country channel about how to get my gear up in the Stuka... :D

was that right before you asked me wheres wep?  :D   beside i told ya fly low the tress will remove them  :D
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 12:49:35 PM »
was that right before you asked me wheres wep?  :D   beside i told ya fly low the tress will remove them  :D

You are typing too fast, slow down please! I am trying to write this in my Aces High Journal... :rofl
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
While it may be the new guys responsibility to do a little learnin' on his own folks need to remember that although it's the 10,000th time you've been asked the question it's the first time the new guy has asked it.

Very true, but while it's good to help new guys, I don't believe it's every player's responsibility to do so.  Trainers are there for a reason.  I do believe it's every player's responsibility to not hinder them getting the help they need.

If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all. ;)

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 12:53:55 PM »
Oh lord, really? Its a tradition to mess with the "newbs" like that. Hell, I got all the tricks pulled on me when I started.
Pat yourself on the back sloe. Im cooking up some cookies. Want one?

lol it was a tradition even 9 years ago when i started

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 12:57:38 PM »
You are typing too fast, slow down please! I am trying to write this in my Aces High Journal... :rofl

hey I'll be putting all the info on disc, well and a big book with words and pictures even some pop-ups for the reading impaired

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 01:33:45 PM »
Thanks for helping the guy out Sloehand.  I really appreciate you doing that.

WTG you guys that were jerking this guy around, you are poor sports and you are liars, be proud of that.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 01:34:19 PM »
It was fairly late at night, only about 100 people on total.  This guy was upping M4's repeatedly and very determinedly trying to take down (as I found out later) the radar on a Bish airbase.  Well, he was obviously a newb as he died gloriously and repeatedly first from a couple of aircraft, then from me in a GV.  Eventually, he slowed down and I PM'd him about one of his tactics being a bad idea.  He responded and I learned he'd been told a number of things from his Knit "countrymen" as this was his first night in the game. 

First and foremost was that Alt - F4 would get him out of trouble (which it did of course, sending him to Windows).  Then they told him that smoke would kill enemy tanks and use lots of it (the tactic I called him on).  Further they told him to attack until he took out the radar no matter what cause they were sending a mission in to capture.  Of course, over a half hour or more, no mission ever got started even after the radar went down.

Over the radio, in text, I talked to him for awhile and offered some much more accurate advice, etc.  Most surprised was he when he found out he could change countries, as I guess he'd been told he couldn't.  He changed to Bish.  And though a newb, we're happy to have him.  He learns real fast.  That very night after I told him how to level bomb, he dropped 2 hangers at a Knit base with pinpoint, single salvos in a single pass.

The point of this is, I was appalled that veteran players would jerk around a new guy like that (there was other inaccurate "advice" as well).  And this guy was NOT a kid.  In fact, he was older than most of us and very interested in learning the new game he'd just found.  Frankly, even though they were Knits, I'm was a bit ashamed of for the community as a whole.  This is not what we need to keep the game alive and fun.

:salute Sloehand.  I get fed up with the crap some vets tell newbies.  If you want to have a good fight and battle, help these new guys out so that competition gets better.  Giving them false information on playing will turn them away from play AH.  
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 01:34:53 PM »
Guys, I was simply relating what happened as I heard and saw it.  Wasn't intended as a Knit-bash.  I'm sure there are dweebs in every country.  And, just to be fair, the knits involved may have had better or worse intentions, but we'll never know not having heard directly what was said to the new guy.
As for helping someone learn the game, I actually enjoy it.  For one thing, as I go over stuff, especially ACM, it reinforces in my own brain.  Over time we often forget some of the basic lessons of success.  Teaching helps remind me of what I need to remember.
But even more so, I get to meet, and have recruited, many a good guy just by offering to answer a few questions, or show him how not to get killed so fast.
This was the first case I've seen where it seems some vets were really trying to seriously jerk a newb around.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 01:37:41 PM »
how do you know they were vets did the guy say there names?   how would a new player knows a vet from another new player? 

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 01:38:13 PM »
Guys, I was simply relating what happened as I heard and saw it.  Wasn't intended as a Knit-bash.  I'm sure there are dweebs in every country.  And, just to be fair, the knits involved may have had better or worse intentions, but we'll never know not having heard directly what was said to the new guy.
As for helping someone learn the game, I actually enjoy it.  For one thing, as I go over stuff, especially ACM, it reinforces in my own brain.  Over time we often forget some of the basic lessons of success.  Teaching helps remind me of what I need to remember.
But even more so, I get to meet, and have recruited, many a good guy just by offering to answer a few questions, or show him how not to get killed so fast.
This was the first case I've seen where it seems some vets were really trying to seriously jerk a newb around.

Don't let some people get to you.  you did the right thing by helping out a new guy.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »
Some people believe hazing is king when it comes to new people.

Last week rooks had a guy who played Air Warrior but not since and was unaware of the learning curve.  Pretty cool to see other rooks help him out and the next day he even logged his first air kill.

If I see some brand new guy come on and someone start with the hazing I try to get him on squad VOX (most don't have headsets yet) and answer whatever questions he/they have.  We never recruit this way, but it does spread good will months or years down the road.  

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
That's how you do it Sloehand  :aok  It's hard to convince new comers that the Training Arena is where they can get up to speed fast, but a few friendly suggestions to noobs and then the gentle push  :ahand towards the TA I believe will help to keep the roster growing.   :salute Fellow AH addicts.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 01:54:09 PM »
That's how you do it Sloehand  :aok  It's hard to convince new comers that the Training Arena is where they can get up to speed fast, but a few friendly suggestions to noobs and then the gentle push  :ahand towards the TA I believe will help to keep the roster growing.   :salute Fellow AH addicts.

This has bothered me for quite some time.  Telling a new player to go to the TA, a large percentage of the time, results in him logging in to the TA to find...  Nobody there.  Or nobody there who can or will help.  The correct answer, in my opinion, is to direct the new player to this section of the forums, or the Trainers site, where he can start a thread asking for a Trainer.

Just saying, go to the TA is much of the time going to result in the new guy wondering how an empty Training Arena is supposed to solve all of his problems.

My opinion would be different if there were Trainers available 24/7 in the TA.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 02:02:09 PM »
Good job slowhand!!

Seems to be a lot more dead wood on these days.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)