Author Topic: Boot people who have latency greater than 1.5 sec from the arena  (Read 2534 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Boot people who have latency greater than 1.5 sec from the arena
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2011, 01:19:54 AM »
I was there when the guy ardy is talking about started warping.  everytime i got on his six he would warp. there was no less than 10 people around looking at it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Boot JoeBlack
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2011, 12:25:15 PM »
Hey Scuzzy
eek, I pressed the wrong button, I didn't intend to press the 'report to mod' on Grizz's post, but rather the quote button...

:furious

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
Re: Boot JoeBlack
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2011, 03:04:07 PM »
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2011, 03:56:37 PM »
The argument seems to be between those that are saying people with bad connections should be kicked out/handed tickets and those that think that is harsh. No one seems to be saying that lag is good or desirable. 

How about this? Put all the laggers together in one arena. X number of lag incidents over a certain period of time, they get moved to a "lag arena". There they will have no advantage or disadvantage, all will be lagging and the rest of the players can have a better experience. Everyone is allowed to play and no one gets kicked out.

Or flag them with an inverted tag so that people can choose to engage or not engage with them. If they engage, they get what they get but at least they have a choice.

A service designed for games should provide an even playing field or information that allows the player to choose their experience. This is what XBox does. You can't even connect without a broad band connection and players with bad latency are flagged. It doesn't make it perfect but it does make it better.
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2011, 04:01:25 PM »
How about this? Put all the laggers together in one arena. X number of lag incidents over a certain period of time, they get moved to a "lag arena". There they will have no advantage or disadvantage, all will be lagging and the rest of the players can have a better experience. Everyone is allowed to play and no one gets kicked out.

Or flag them with an inverted tag so that people can choose to engage or not engage with them. If they engage, they get what they get but at least they have a choice.

Thats not a bad idea at all :aok
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2011, 06:34:59 PM »
Minimum RequirementsCPU/Processor: 1.8 Ghz
Memory: 512 MB
Video Card: DirectX 9.0  64MB
Internet Connection: A 28.8 modem or faster Internet connection
Sound Card: DirectX compatible sound card
Input Devices: Joystick or mouse.
Optional:Speakers and microphone are optional.

Seems a good chance any player with the minimum hardware requirements per HTC policy might warp a bit constantly.

With a dialup 28.8 connection as the minimum requirement to access the arenas opposed to xBox's strategy, how much real discrimination against players do all of you honestly want to demand HTC impose on it's customers? In effect you are publicly demanding HTC identify and either force paying customers to quit the game or uniquely stigmatise them. Banish them to an Aces High gehtto seems to be one of this lynch mobs ravings. Or a bright lavender badge of "Evil Connection" attached to their arena icons......

And when they came for you there was no one left to defend you...... Oh I forget, this MOB is on the side of whats good and right for Aces High per their world view because they have the "Good Connections" opposed to those bad players with the "Evil Connections".

OOps, Sorry, carry on....torches, ropes and pitchforks for sale at my gehtto stigmatisation sales stand. Ardy, I have a special "Ring Leaders" uniform with bright LED's for you so your MOB can follow you into the dark. Ahhhh, I just love a good MOB howling with richeous something or another off into the dark after their enemies.....is that the sounds of breaking glass.....
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2011, 06:59:38 PM »
Internet Connection: A 28.8 modem or faster Internet connection

rules out satellite then ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2011, 07:11:03 PM »
Seems a good chance any player with the minimum hardware requirements per HTC policy might warp a bit constantly.

Not true... as posted before...
Average dial-up Internet connection latency is only 150 to 200 milliseconds. I believe the game only sends a packet every 200 ms or so. The threshold I was suggesting is well over a second and would not affect any customer that meets the min standards specified.

http://www.hikaro.com/communications/broadband-internet/broadband-satellite%C2%A0%C2%A0.html

And when they came for you there was no one left to defend you...... Oh I forget, this MOB is on the side of whats good and right for Aces High per their world view because they have the "Good Connections" opposed to those bad players with the "Evil Connections".

The same could be said about people with old computers, but that doesn't mean we should support 486 SX (33hmz) computers and be stuck with 'dos age' graphics and flight modeling.

do you think these graphics would compete in todays landscape?

OOps, Sorry, carry on....torches, ropes and pitchforks for sale at my gehtto stigmatisation sales stand. Ardy, I have a special "Ring Leaders" uniform with bright LED's for you so your MOB can follow you into the dark. Ahhhh, I just love a good MOB howling with richeous something or another off into the dark after their enemies.....is that the sounds of breaking glass.....
Thats funny, I'll give you that though
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:00:28 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2011, 08:51:22 PM »
Hey bustr! Ease up dood! This isn't a freedom of speech issue, its a connect speed :).

The thing is this is a multiplayer game and there HAVE to be some minimum standards OR you have to be ok with an unlevel playing field. People who make a connection to the game that they KNOW is going to cause warps aren't doing anyone favors. They frustrate the people that they are playing with and they know it. I'm not saying, throw them out or don't let them play, but let them play with people who have similar connections so that its an EVEN playing field for all of them and all of the people who have good connections. This is not a "ghetto", its like grade school. You don't have high school seniors playing basketball with first graders. You put people together that have common qualities to improve their experience.

I understand that not all internet connections are created equal (as opposed to people). I cite Xbox because its multiplayer experience is generally very high quality and trust me, its really NICE to have non-warpy play. That can be done here as well.

Does a person who owns an unsafe, falling apart car have a right to drive on the freeway? It may be the only way they have to get around but safety is an overriding factor. In most states and countries they say NO. What we are all paying for is the EXPERIENCE. We should all have equivalent opportunities for a good game experience.
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2011, 06:41:53 AM »
Not true... as posted before...
Average dial-up Internet connection latency is only 150 to 200 milliseconds. I believe the game only sends a packet every 200 ms or so. The threshold I was suggesting is well over a second and would not affect any customer that meets the min standards specified.

Right, and the one well-documented/filmed no-scheisse highly suspicious activitiy I've seen was a 14-second disappearance. Cheats, given the "characteristic time constant" (coining a phrase here) of an ACM as executed at WWII combat speeds, would need to be on the order of seconds - well above dial-up latency. Anybody who has latency on that order of magnitude has either some serious problem or is doing something untoward.

I give this idea the thumbs up after careful consideration. I think HTC should institute a latency standard and disco those who exceed that standard. Those who disco can reconnect and play as normal since no penalties need be applied and no questions need be asked. The standard should be posted along with the hardware requirements (and perhaps an example ping to check your transit speed?).
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2011, 09:53:12 AM »
How about adding another option in the right click drop down menu of the roster that allows you to see the "net status" graph of that person?

Offline RobMo68

• Nickel Member
      • Pigs On The Wing
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2011, 02:09:33 PM »
Can't believe I even read this thread! :bhead

NEXT whine, please!
Speed68a
Special Forces Wing: POTW nUb:"Get outta my mud, biotch"

+~WARPIGS RACING~+
ERL S3R9 Winner

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2011, 07:54:20 PM »
I'm not understanding how it is a "whine"?

Do you prefer that people blink in out of view?
Do you prefer that they zing 300-1000 or more yards in position?
Do you like being hit by planes that are showing to you at 1500 or more?

I played AW on a 300 baud modem and that was slide show that was barely, barely playable. 20+ years later we should not have to put up with the same thing. Are we saying that after two decades this is the best that can be done? This is a nearly totally preventable thing. All it takes is to give the players the information to deal with the problem. Flag them and you can choose to engage or not.

Cars and vehicles that cannot maintain freeway speeds are not allowed on the nation's freeways. By the same analogy connections that cannot keep with the game, should not be allowed on or at the very least they should be flagged (like a farm tractor on a roadway).

BTW, no one forced you to read :). No refunds :)
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2011, 09:08:11 PM »
Hey, you think Ardy is complaining about players who actually warp is bad?

One veteran player complains fairly regularly and loudly about the age old Internet Lag/lead problem...I.E, the fact that, due to the speed of light being finite being finite, you can be shot while it *appears* your opponent's nose is still in lag. I mean seriously, I agree, damn that speed of light, I want my intergalactic vacation!
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2011, 06:57:12 AM »
Fact of the matter is you can ask for whatever you want.

HTC however is in this business to make money.

They already do disconnect people who lose too many packets/don't have good connect to HTC.

Your asking them in hard economic times to tighten up their controls.
Sorry guys but I don't see them doing it.
Not in their best interest.

And as I said before some 6 pages up, be careful what you wish for, it might be you on the end of an iffy connect someday.