Author Topic: A more strategic AvA (feedback requested)  (Read 2484 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
A more strategic AvA (feedback requested)
« on: May 22, 2011, 10:37:08 AM »
I've been toying with an ongoing, strategic, winnable war concept for AvA.

As it stands, we cannot use the MA concept of territory capture for an automatic win. If the arena gets it's bases run, the reset defaults to an everything enabled MA state.

Whatever we do has to be manual.

This idea is a fairly simple, mostly unsupervised strategic game that can can be "won."

To further differentiate AvA from the other arenas, I have removed base capture as the criteria for a war to be won.

Base capture simply becomes a strategic option rather than the main focus.

Victory won't be based on base capture, but on a combination of strategic targets destroyed and number of enemies killed.

Base capture will be possible and can be done to gain strategic position from which to launch attacks on enemy strats, but will not in itself, be a factor in victory.

The foremost objective will be to destroy the enemies factories. Once they are destroyed, they will not regenerate for the length of the set up.

This will represent the total destruction of the enemies war material production capability.

I believe we can set the arena so that factory destruction does not otherwise have an automatic effect.

On some terrains, these factories are deep within enemy territory or tucked in out of the way places. It will be players choice whether to use bombers, fighter bombers or ground vehicles for these strat attacks.

Depending on how difficult this is to accomplish, city strats could also be added.

The second factor will be a higher number of enemy kills. These numbers will be taken from the AH stats and will be separated by aircraft/vehicle country origin. Those that cannot be distinguished, such as those accomplished with ship or field guns, chutes, or any aircraft/vehicles that are substituted and in use by both sides will be thrown out of the totals.

Once either countries factories have all been destroyed, the kill numbers will be counted and if the prevailing country also has the higher number of kills, they will have won the war.

If the country does not have a higher number of kills, the war will continue until both conditions are met by either country.

Once a victory has been determined, the arena will either be reset back to the beginning, advanced on the same map or changed to a new set up and new terrain.

Strategic targets will only be in play between the hours of 6pm to midnight est. At all other times the targets will be hardened to indestructible.

The arena will be open for dogfighting at all times.

There will be no time of day restrictions on kills of other players.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 10:49:08 AM by jimson »

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: A more strategic AvA (feedback requested)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:31:03 AM »
Thinking outside the box?

:aok

Perhaps you could find out how many AC were in theater. When the number is up, the war is over. Last government standing wins.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:32:51 AM by Melvin »
See Rule #4

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:56:25 AM »
Thinking outside the box?

:aok

Perhaps you could find out how many AC were in theater. When the number is up, the war is over. Last government standing wins.

Interesting.

Might be too realistic though, and really throw it in favor of the Allies.

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 06:20:19 PM »
what would make this interesting and maybe throw it off a bit is the constant side switching to balance the sides.  No one really has a true home country in the AvA that im aware of so there may not be a point to winning the war so to speak.  I like the idea though, maybe make it a special night once a week?
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 11:03:36 PM »
what would make this interesting and maybe throw it off a bit is the constant side switching to balance the sides.  No one really has a true home country in the AvA that im aware of so there may not be a point to winning the war so to speak.  I like the idea though, maybe make it a special night once a week?

Well, people do side switch but they tend to favor one side or the other, and such affiliations could get stronger.

I view it as a way for the whole arena to have more of a point. Give people a reason to fly missions and such, create a place for bomber pilots etc.

It's been said many times that there are two main type of players The strategic minded who are goal oriented and like to have objectives and the "fight for the sake of fighting" folks.

While the latter can occur as a byproduct of the former, the reverse...not so much.

By making kill numbers a part of the criteria, even the furballers contribute to an overall objective.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:08:48 PM by jimson »

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:03:42 AM »
many of the AvA maps are based on actual battles though. take Okinawa for instance, the US wanted the island, the Japanese wanted to keep it.

Make the objectives for this, US makes beachhead (obj1), US kills certain number of aircraft (obj2), US kills certain number of GVs (obj3), US captures major locations on the island (obj4), US takes island (obj5 total victory).

Japan holds US at beach and maintains absolute control (obj1 after a period of time total victory), Japan hold US at beachhead (obj2), Japan kills certain number of aircraft (obj3), Japan kills certain number of GVs (obj4), Japan sinks certain number of ships (CVs count as 3) (obj 5).

What do you think? If you have enough people watching the battle daily you can keep score easily <S>
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 08:37:56 AM »
I agree bar.  Maybe This would promote staying on one side more.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:00:56 AM »
I agree bar.  Maybe This would promote staying on one side more.

THE Problem with not side-switching in the ava is that the numbers change rather rapidly in there. it could go from evenly matched battles, to a one sided slaughter in the blink of an eye. there are those of us that willingly, and quickly switch to keep things even........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 10:06:18 AM »
how can you win if you don't slaughter the bad guys?  :D

I'm with cap on this one. if we had regular squads in there with the numbers we had a few years ago, ok time side switching. but the way things are now, you need it or things will go askew pretty quickly.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 10:33:33 AM »
many of the AvA maps are based on actual battles though. take Okinawa for instance, the US wanted the island, the Japanese wanted to keep it.

Make the objectives for this, US makes beachhead (obj1), US kills certain number of aircraft (obj2), US kills certain number of GVs (obj3), US captures major locations on the island (obj4), US takes island (obj5 total victory).

Japan holds US at beach and maintains absolute control (obj1 after a period of time total victory), Japan hold US at beachhead (obj2), Japan kills certain number of aircraft (obj3), Japan kills certain number of GVs (obj4), Japan sinks certain number of ships (CVs count as 3) (obj 5).

What do you think? If you have enough people watching the battle daily you can keep score easily <S>

I like these ideas, but IMO they are more suited to special event nights.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do those things as well, but as the AvA is open 7 days a week, I am looking for a way to run a strategic sort of game on a mostly CM unattended basis, for that it needs to be ultra simplified and easy to track.

The more specific and complicated it gets, the less likely it is to get done.

Also keep in mind that with the lower population we have there are a lot of times the arena is empty. To keep unopposed tool shedding at a minimum, it helps to be able to have just a few settings to change during "off hours."

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 04:09:42 PM »
it wont hurt to give it a go and see what heppens.  if no one bites game play as we know it now isnt affected but you could get info and changes that need to be made to make it what you want it to be.

Offline TEXICAN

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 03:19:46 PM »
I love the strategic idea wish the MA's would go this way!  Keep it!!!
If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck!

Offline 1azbaer

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 09:08:51 PM »
vote Drop it. a few nights  flew in bombers to strike teh strats  but tehy were all ready burning on both sides. 
What s pack the ava   Jet week, WWI week and squad night. What empties it out, BOB map and heavy rotation of PTO maps.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 12:59:03 AM »
a few nights  flew in bombers to strike teh strats  but tehy were all ready burning on both sides.  

No, there were targets available all week, even on the very last night there were still plenty of strats left to hit.

Just because some were burning didn't meant they were out of play, the objective was to take them down to 20%

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 01:00:54 AM by jimson »

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 02:35:17 AM »
Yeah 1azbeer the strats were still in play the entire week.  Now, if you were looking to grab a bunch of perk points for dropping in the middle of the strat and taking out a huge chunk, the MA is the place for you.  At least, not for last week's objective.  Not saying that it couldn't still be done.  Just saying that finding a building here or there on the outskirts of a strat that is down to < 40% might not appeal to a level bomber.

That is why attack planes were also available for precision strikes.  I found it refreshing not to just be involved in a dogfight only arena.  :salute 

I think 1azbeer, you may be more interested in the latest version of the AvA warz.  This one still not a level bombers dream, but truly a bomber's dream target >>>  12 enemy fleets in a small area.