Author Topic: Why don't more squads want to participate in SDL ?  (Read 3422 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: Why don't more squads want to participate in SDL ?
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2011, 12:04:23 PM »
Thats exactly what I think. Too few matches becase they are left to CO's to negotiate, This is hard to administer and when there are few matches the usual ego's end up argueing over the results on here when the positive thing would be to move on and prepare for the next match. The problem is there is no next match and everyone is getting their panties in a twist over the last one they dont get the next one orgasised.

Fixtures, Independant admistration and adjudication with a 4 minimum.

I think that the aircraft should be assigned also.  It seems to take forever just for the two CO's to hash out the plane set. 

I think the administrators should select 5 aircraft, then all matches in a given "season" will use those 5 planes.  Then post a schedule that tells the squads who they are fighting, get rid of the whole challenge thing.  Schedule matches at least once per month, more often would be better.  Then set a time limit for the squads to get the match completed.  Require each CO to propose 3 or 4 dates and times for the match.  If the two COs cannot get a match scheduled within the required time frame, then both squads get scored as a loss.   Make the minimum number of pilots 4, to make SDL accessible to smaller squads.  Allow larger squads to field multiple teams, but team rosters must be set at the beginning of the "season" and pilots cannot be shuffled between teams.  Each team is treated as a separate squad with its own CO, own schedule, etc.  This might help larger squads to keep their pilots interested.  Nobody likes to ride the bench, so to speak.

Just some ideas.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »
With limited time to fly these days, The SDL takes too much of it. I have been getting in maybe 10 hours a month. To provide a high level of competition I need to have a lot more time in the game. Training with the squad takes a few hours a week. Learning your mates flying takes even longer. Becoming a solid squad of tough fighters takes a long time too. I hope we at the LD have enough people and time to do SDL- S3.

Also I think the sportsmanship needs some improvement. I won't dig through it all again, but after some, not all, but some matches hearing all the negative talk about this or that when we all knew no rules were broken. Just silly and a big put off for me.

I enjoyed the matches, and winning SDL-S1 was really a high point of my AH experience.
I hope we can get some good squads in for SDL-S3 that want to have fun, supply a high level of competition and sportsmanship!!!!
<S> ~kc

I dont mean to be offensive but arn't you basically saying your only willing to play if your giving a good account of yourself in which case what is wrong with having a slack season but still taking part. Additionally and this goes out to everyone there are bound to be some overgrown adolescent bad losers in the game as in any area of life. Shouldn't people just man up and accept teenagers exist even if some of them may be in theIR 30's or 40's. I think dealing with young adult behaviour is one of the great challenges for anyone who his going to call themself an adult. All anyone can do is set a good example and hope the little *&$"'s get it someday.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2011, 03:02:33 PM »
[...] I am surprised if the antics of a minority have put the rest off.

This is exactly the reason things don't work, look what a minority did/do to the AVA and other arenas. People get tired of drama, unfortunately, those causing it can not get hard without it. It only takes one overinflated ego to kill the buzz, imagine what a few can do.
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2011, 04:14:52 PM »
Only takes a  few bad apples to spoil a bunch..............

NOT

AKNOT

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2011, 04:56:44 AM »
Only takes a  few bad apples to spoil a bunch..............

NOT

Ok I see what you are getting at but if we leave specifics to one side for a moment in every competitive activity there will be the show off's, ego trippers, Bad Losers, people who use victory in a game as evidence of their supperitority in general,  and those who push the rules to the limit. I find it difficult to accept this is more true of this game than any other but if it is what can be done to over come this aspect of SDL?

I would have thought it could be coverd by all coment kept to the SDL section and complaints not made in public but through channels. Everything enforced by an independant organsiser/adjudicator as you would get in any other competitive game. I have seen people crying on here about results after the event and not accepting the judges decision. If the Judgeing is independant and a rule is broken just suspend such people for a period be it a game or two or the rest of the season. It all seems quite straight forward.

Like any competition there has to be acceptable and unacceptable conduct and if people won't stick to the code goodbye.   

DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2011, 05:18:39 AM »
I should be independant judge in SDL events because i dont like anyone and thus would be impartial :old:
Floatsup would be a good judge as well because he has men from Mars in his attic :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2011, 05:11:59 AM »
I am currently arrangeing unofficial strictly friendly non league matches with other squads, the few fielding players who are not normally is SDL.

Results will be very secondary and teams will be enocuraged to lend the other side players if numbers arn't even  :aok

Anyone who wants a friendly please PM me  :)

DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2011, 01:04:48 PM »
Like i said in the PM i just sent you Yarbles, it's a little off to assume people don't want to fight because they will lose. We (71 sqd) don't care if we're fighting the very best duelers in the game, people like Bighorn, Jb11, Grizz, Sunsfan, Dedalos, Joey, etc, etc, etc, all in one team against us. The better the opponents, the more challenge, the more fun as far as we are concerned. We simply don't have the desire to make dates and obligations. Most of us just want to log in randomly, find a fight, go shoot stuff and have a laugh.

The obvious assumption that people won't fight in SDL because your team is too good...that in itself is the exact type of attitude that stops people fighting in SDL. Do you get what I am saying there?
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2011, 07:25:54 PM »
The obvious assumption that people won't fight in SDL because your team is too good...that in itself is the exact type of attitude that stops people fighting in SDL. Do you get what I am saying there?

Yes it's an assumption and a generalisation and does not hold for everyone. It does correspond to my experience though in some cases but of course not all. Its possibly one but not the only reason or the most important with deference to your not wanting to get pinned to arrangements in a game that is for relaxation as to why squads dont want to do these events.  

My view is if you enjoy these events just get on with it and don't take any notice of all the B/S that is seen on here sometimes. Some on here seem to be more sensitive than that and they are entitled to their feelings.

I have a passion for SDL and last season it was decided by the top teams fighting say 6 matches each, this season it looks like about 3 and I guess there are a number of reasons for that but my goal is to get it moving in one form or another becase I love it win or lose.

I think this game in general would benefit from people being less precious and having more fighting spirit  :old: and this is from a reformed score potato. I generally take the view that the vast majority of people who play this game are decent people I have allot in common with who are looking to have fun and not deliberately out to annoy anyone else for its own sake or put people down.

If you read what other people have posted in this thread you might be forgiven for thinking some people are concerned about over competitiveness and the prescence of a dominneering attitude getting in the way of healthy competition. I would say ignore it and just do what you like doing and SDL is more fun if you don't get too worked up about winning all the time for the majority of people. If they get influenced by a minoirity who do think that is all that matters the result might be very few matches.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:50:47 PM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2011, 11:26:27 PM »
SDL isn't dead yet?......
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2011, 03:15:18 AM »
I tried to arrange a squad duel much like SDL and even tried to spark others competitive juices to encourage it, but in the end, the invited challenger bowed out, so I think people have also lost interest.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2011, 03:48:56 AM »
We'll fight yer  :x
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2011, 04:03:58 AM »
I have more interested in old shoes than SDL :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2011, 06:01:18 PM »
It's all about the economy
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline SWrokit

• Nickel Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com/index.php
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2011, 06:25:14 PM »
Been around for a long time now Yarbles.  And my bad Bro..........I don't even know SDL means.  Shoot me a PM, post, whatever, and I'll be more than happy to say whether or not my squadron would be willing to partake......... :)

<S>
Rokit
SWrokit; CO~125th Spartans

RIP.......SWfire, SWmac, GMC, SWonyx