Author Topic: More players = Commissioned Sales  (Read 1748 times)

Offline JB42

• Nickel Member
Re: More players = Commissioned Sales
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2011, 08:22:38 AM »
Make room for the 2000 lb Gorilla in the room. :noid

A lack of increasing subscriptions may be a recruiting issue.

A decline in current subscriptions is a game issue.

While Aces High has been and continues to be the best game of the genre out there, HTC has done very little to keep the game "fresh" to hold the interest of a lot of the "veterans" of the game. Of the 6-7 of the people that I personally keep in touch with that flew this game, I believe I was the last to cancel my subscription. The one common underlying theme for all of us appears to be lack of interest. While some also cited finances, family, time and equipment, almost all also included the "SSDD" defense as well.
" The only thing upping from the CV are lifejackets." - JB15

" Does this Pony make my butt look fat?" - JB11

" I'd rather shoot down 1 Spit in a 109 than 10 109s in a Spit." - JB42

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2011, 10:07:08 AM »
Its well intentioned enough Changeup trouble is it creates the collective effect on the community that some how the games makers are 'grasping at straws?' and has a snowball effect were people chip in their opinion, if left unchallenged the opinions will get more vocal. Theres already a thread inspired by this one, people seeing more of these threads side of side will leave a negative opinion on customers that the game is in trouble or that the makers are inept.

Go read for instance the Warbirds forum, I get a negative impression reading that, and that the game is in trouble some of the ideas by players are straight up ridiculous but it seems the games makers almost there almost encourage it for fear of offending people.

Pervert,

While I would agree with your assessment of how my suggestion could be taken, it stands to reason that I'm a player of the game, not a shareholder in HTC.  How would a player's idea become a "grasp at straws"?  If you're implying that should HTC decide to implement something like this it could be viewed as a "straw grasp", that is myopic...companies implement new marketing tactics everyday to increase business because trying new methods makes strong business sense.  Change or die...

I may be wrong but there are two ways to fill arenas....increase subscriptions or increase existing player retention.  With regard to retention, JB42 is clearly on to something with regard to the game itself....but why is it that about 40 or so players spend their time arguing about how THEY think the game should be designed to increase FUN and those ideas are not seen as those players telling HTC how to run their business.  However, when someone else has an idea of how to increase revenue or new player subscriptions it's suddenly a gross overstep?
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2011, 10:18:29 AM »
Make room for the 2000 lb Gorilla in the room. :noid

A lack of increasing subscriptions may be a recruiting issue.

A decline in current subscriptions is a game issue.

While Aces High has been and continues to be the best game of the genre out there, HTC has done very little to keep the game "fresh" to hold the interest of a lot of the "veterans" of the game. Of the 6-7 of the people that I personally keep in touch with that flew this game, I believe I was the last to cancel my subscription. The one common underlying theme for all of us appears to be lack of interest. While some also cited finances, family, time and equipment, almost all also included the "SSDD" defense as well.

HT has stated in the past that ppl losing interest in a game is a fact of life and there is nothing that can be done about it. I fear this is the accepted thought related to this issue.  As an outsider looking in, it seems to me that they tend to form an opinion on a certain subject and don't revisit it after that. If that is the case, it's a shame in my opinion. Having said that, they do have to be careful about changing too much to maintain the vets interest and end up irritating the majority or making the game too difficult for beginners.

Also, I suspect HTC may consider vets to be bad for gameplay as a whole. The vet that actually helps new players consistently is rare. Most vets pwn the noobs which leads to frustration on their part and makes it difficult for them to get into the game. Not to mention, there are many vets out there that are downright hateful to new players. For this reason, I think HTC may secretly want the vets gone bc afterall, they are a very small percentage of the playerbase that has a mostly negative effect on the other customers. I don't completely subscribe to this thought myself, but it is one of the better explanations that I can contrive that would explain what seems to be a lack of interest in retaining vets.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2011, 10:21:26 AM »
prosposal for an advertising video:

http://www.fotgfilms.com/newProjectPages/kc.html

:aok

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2011, 11:00:12 AM »
HT has stated in the past that ppl losing interest in a game is a fact of life and there is nothing that can be done about it. I fear this is the accepted thought related to this issue.  As an outsider looking in, it seems to me that they tend to form an opinion on a certain subject and don't revisit it after that. If that is the case, it's a shame in my opinion. Having said that, they do have to be careful about changing too much to maintain the vets interest and end up irritating the majority or making the game too difficult for beginners.

Also, I suspect HTC may consider vets to be bad for gameplay as a whole. The vet that actually helps new players consistently is rare. Most vets pwn the noobs which leads to frustration on their part and makes it difficult for them to get into the game. Not to mention, there are many vets out there that are downright hateful to new players. For this reason, I think HTC may secretly want the vets gone bc afterall, they are a very small percentage of the playerbase that has a mostly negative effect on the other customers. I don't completely subscribe to this thought myself, but it is one of the better explanations that I can contrive that would explain what seems to be a lack of interest in retaining vets.

+1.... very well put...but if true, very unfortunate also.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline JB42

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2011, 03:28:37 PM »
For those of us even know what a Zone base was or knew what it was like to park a Panzer on a railroad track to cut of the train before it resupplied the oil refinery, the game has gone a long way (backwards) to show us the door. However, I don't believe HTC de-evolved the game to lose subscribers, vets or not. I think it's more of the law of unintended consquences.
" The only thing upping from the CV are lifejackets." - JB15

" Does this Pony make my butt look fat?" - JB11

" I'd rather shoot down 1 Spit in a 109 than 10 109s in a Spit." - JB42