Author Topic: KI-84  (Read 18727 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: KI-84
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2011, 03:47:01 PM »
Ink as a side point I don't think anybody with GIMP can be an artist. There's a large mental aspect to it, an eye for detail and how things mix etc. You should probably know that many of my skins hit the 50-layer limit that Photoshop 5.1 has imposed, so I am forced to make multiple layers in different files, flatten them down, and import them as a single layer into my main file. I regularly have 30-50 work files for any given skin as I save iterations of my work to always be able to go back to those flattened layers before I flattened them, so I can change how they were flattened. If I had a recent version I'd go past 100 layers in some skins, easily.

I think I only made you angry because I was a tad rude. For that I'm sorry. For any other skinner I would have brought up the same issues though, so I just want you to know I wasn't picking on you or anything  :P

Let me know if you want the PSD file just as a guide/template (even if you do your own stuff).

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2011, 04:01:28 PM »
Ink as a side point I don't think anybody with GIMP can be an artist. There's a large mental aspect to it, an eye for detail and how things mix etc. You should probably know that many of my skins hit the 50-layer limit that Photoshop 5.1 has imposed, so I am forced to make multiple layers in different files, flatten them down, and import them as a single layer into my main file. I regularly have 30-50 work files for any given skin as I save iterations of my work to always be able to go back to those flattened layers before I flattened them, so I can change how they were flattened. If I had a recent version I'd go past 100 layers in some skins, easily.

I think I only made you angry because I was a tad rude. For that I'm sorry. For any other skinner I would have brought up the same issues though, so I just want you to know I wasn't picking on you or anything  :P

Let me know if you want the PSD file just as a guide/template (even if you do your own stuff).

its cool man, you like to debate...I have learned that about you, and no I don't think you were picking on me...I am imposable to "pick" on.

once you see what I do if you want help getting those files smaller and saving some time let me know :D

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2011, 05:01:33 PM »
Slash, you apparently don't frequent these forums too often. Without overgeneralizing too much these forums provide feedback, sometimes needed feedback (needed negative feedback) to let somebody know their work is lacking, or needs improvement. We don't get petty about the skins in question, mostly just look at the work and the details on the skin.

And, er... your "other" muppet brother was saying it was PERFECT, and you other muppets were sharing similar sentiments. I don't care if YOU don't like me slash, I don't think about you enough to worry about it. Don't presume to know me or my responses and please don't inject your own little issues into a thread that doesn't need them. This is a thread for a first-time skinner and his first efforts. Look back almost 10 years on this forum and you'll see anybody else doing this might get laughed out of the community. We're trying to be supportive and guiding, and you aren't helping by trying to imply I'm the bad guy. Take it to the O'club. You won't find me there so have at it.
EDIT: As for Ink, I look forward to more screenshots whenever you get around to them!
My issue is your attitiude. You don't like my interjection on that then I guess you can just deal with it or report it the moderator. I guess you could read back a few post and try and figue it out but that's on you.

Since you keep bringing up the "Muppet" thing I'll give you some insight. There is an ongoing thread about this project of INK's a few of us have great interest in. We are enjoying ourselves quite a lot with the process of researching ,discussion, and history about the aircraft and this skin. INK and the rest of us full well understand the desire for quality and historical accuracy given the hard work that goes in to the skins we have. With the amount of great skins that are sitting on the shelf, INK's skin need to be the best possible. Hence this whole thread. Constructive criticism was expected, wanted, and needed if this was to be a success. Why the look down your nose nonsense is the first reaction I don't know, but I do not find it surprising. I did know that guys like Oboe were here so I knew it wouldn't be a waste of time despite what else was going to happen. Thank's for bringing me up to speed on this being INK's first skin though. :aok

Sorry INK if I'm speaking too much for you. :D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 05:48:12 PM by Slash27 »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »
My issue is your attitiude. You don't like my interjection on that then I guess you can just deal with it or report it the moderator. I guess you could read back a few post and try and figue it out but that's on you.

Since you keep bringing up the "Muppet" thing I'll give you some insight. There is an ongoing thread about this project of INK's a few of us have great interest in. We are enjoying ourselves quite a lot with the process of researching ,discussion, and history about the aircraft and this skin. INK and the rest of full well understand the desire for quality and historical accuracy given the hard work that goes in to the skin we have. With the amount of great skins that are sitting on the shelf INK's skin need to be the best possible. Hence this whole thread. Constructive criticism was expected, wanted, and needed if this was to be a success. Why the look down your nose nonsense is the first reaction I don't know but I do not find it surprising. I did know that guys like Oboe were here so I knew it wouldn't be a waste of time despite what else was going to happen. Thank's for bringing me up to speed on this being INK's first skin though. :aok

Sorry INK if I'm speaking too much for you. :D

Ill never down someone for speaking their mind.....Krusty Apologized for being rude, and that's something else I respect....there is help for him yet :D

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2011, 06:28:43 PM »
I remember my first skin - I took the default P-38L skin, changed the paint, added a nose art and called it done. I left on the original panels lines/rivets from the default skin—I saw no reason to redo them just to end up spending time to make them identical. I thought it was a masterpiece. Luckily for me I never ended up showing it to the public. Those who did see it were supportive and helpful though. I submitted it and it was accepted, but all the skin slots were full.

I don't know where the line is drawn between using too much of the default skin and what's acceptable, or if such a line even exists outside of our minds. Regardless, it's better to draw out your own panel lines/rivets. You'll have the flexibility to make them look any way you like - lighter in certain areas, more vivid in others, etc. You can use your panel line/rivet layers to aid in creating other effects, such as metal deformation. If you decide to make a second Ki-84 skin you'll already have your own panel line/rivets drawn out giving you a big head start, rather than having to start from scratch while still being confined to the default skin's details.

Anyways it's still better than my first skin I mentioned previously. The tips the others are giving are all worth reading and following, even if they weren't given too encouragingly. If you truly enjoy the researching, discussion, and history side of skinning, like Slash said, then you already have a leg up on most other first timers. Obviously you have a talent for art and I see no reason why you cannot use that talent here. I'm sure many will enjoy your work and you'll proud of your contributions. Have fun too!

:airplane:
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2011, 07:11:15 PM »
I remember my first skin - I took the default P-38L skin, changed the paint, added a nose art and called it done. I left on the original panels lines/rivets from the default skin—I saw no reason to redo them just to end up spending time to make them identical. I thought it was a masterpiece. Luckily for me I never ended up showing it to the public. Those who did see it were supportive and helpful though. I submitted it and it was accepted, but all the skin slots were full.

I don't know where the line is drawn between using too much of the default skin and what's acceptable, or if such a line even exists outside of our minds. Regardless, it's better to draw out your own panel lines/rivets. You'll have the flexibility to make them look any way you like - lighter in certain areas, more vivid in others, etc. You can use your panel line/rivet layers to aid in creating other effects, such as metal deformation. If you decide to make a second Ki-84 skin you'll already have your own panel line/rivets drawn out giving you a big head start, rather than having to start from scratch while still being confined to the default skin's details.

Anyways it's still better than my first skin I mentioned previously. The tips the others are giving are all worth reading and following, even if they weren't given too encouragingly. If you truly enjoy the researching, discussion, and history side of skinning, like Slash said, then you already have a leg up on most other first timers. Obviously you have a talent for art and I see no reason why you cannot use that talent here. I'm sure many will enjoy your work and you'll proud of your contributions. Have fun too!

:airplane:

:salute

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2011, 12:15:30 AM »
I've never ever skinned before.  But that seems to me a good first try. Better looking than the default. Imo.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2011, 05:13:46 AM »
This very aircraft attacked US ships off Okinawa on May 25th 1945 on a Kamikaze strike..No? none made it to the ships?....all the pilots died? I might be wrong.

Found this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-WW2-Aircraft-Ki-84-Frank-Ron-Cole-Signed-/270773971083?pt=Art_Prints&hash=item3f0b62e88b

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »
I've never ever skinned before.  But that seems to me a good first try. Better looking than the default. Imo.

ty

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2011, 03:28:48 AM »
ok here goes......first I wanna say thanx to everyone who has replied and given their opinion,good or bad.

I completely redid it, I took the default skin, and broke it down to its very base, doing so got rid of 80+% of the panel lines/rivets,I re-created the rivets and panels, that I needed to(which was most of them).
   I did this with no more then 3 layers at any one time, saving as I went, but I didn't save at a certain point so the things that are wrong with it I cant fix :cry
I am gonna start it over,  I don't need to start from scratch at least, and the things that are wrong will be fixed. the line up between the wing roots and body just don't :( cut it

100% of the weathering is my work.....there is less then 5% of the default left in this skin.

good or bad let me know what ya think

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2011, 06:07:12 AM »
wow whats this junk??
Looks damn realistic, but also this aircraft spent like 50 years underwater. I would be afraid flying this  : )
Could you upload a megaupload link to try it out offline, plz?
AoM
City of ice

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2011, 06:33:35 AM »
wow whats this junk??
Looks damn realistic, but also this aircraft spent like 50 years underwater. I would be afraid flying this  : )
Could you upload a megaupload link to try it out offline, plz?

:rofl

I was wondering if I went to much on the weathering :headscratch:

thing is,  Japanese paint at the end of the war was horrible(from every thing I have read) and their paint peeling was extreme, so I am thinking a guy who has been around in heavy action, his plane would look very worn out.

I will get the file up asap :salute  do you know how to get it to show off line?

in case you don't or for any one else, create a folder in your AH skins folder name it ki84_1, copy and paste both of these files into that folder you should see the skin in the drop down list in hanger....path should look similar to this, C:\Program Files\Aces High\skins\ki84_1.....unless you changed the default save location for the game. 
skin name to look for  "suicide unit 58th Shimbu tai_2"   

http://dasmuppets.com/public/INK/KI84.txt   create a new text document in that same folder you created name it ki84. copy and past this txt file to it.(wont save the file :headscratch:)

http://dasmuppets.com/public/INK/KI841.bmp

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 07:00:42 AM by ink »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2011, 07:07:00 AM »
Wow - you've demonstrated your pure talent at weathering and its a fearsome ability to be sure.  I have never seen such a work but Debrody is right - its too much.   To me it looks like it spent 50 years in the deep jungle.    You want paint wear, peeling and chipping along seams and major traffic areas but not so much the corroded look you've achieved.   (btw don't destroy this work - save it somewhere at least.)

Other comments:

Lose the bullet holes.   I can add those in the first 5 minutes of any flight I make in it.   :D

Gun muzzle and engine exhaust stains are too strong/dark.   Same for the grease coming out the gear doors.

You can add a gap/shadow line underneath the sliding canopy section to show its a separate piece not attached to fuselage.

You will probably want to readjust the light/dark balance in the rivet layers once you make major changes to the weathering.   They might start to show more strongly than ever, and I suspect they might look a bit too defined and have too much 3D depth.  (The side profile shows this well)

My gawd tho that is an immpressive piece of work!  Thanks for all the angles/closeups.   Somebody get this guy more pictures of paintwear patterns on Japanese fighters!  Lyric?

Q: Why did you switch to brown overall from the green?   

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 07:14:49 AM by oboe »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2011, 07:32:38 AM »
Wow - you've demonstrated your pure talent at weathering and its a fearsome ability to be sure.  I have never seen such a work but Debrody is right - its too much.   To me it looks like it spent 50 years in the deep jungle.    You want paint wear, peeling and chipping along seams and major traffic areas but not so much the corroded look you've achieved.   (btw don't destroy this work - save it somewhere at least.)

Other comments:

Lose the bullet holes.   I can add those in the first 5 minutes of any flight I make in it.   :D

Gun muzzle and engine exhaust stains are too strong/dark.   Same for the grease coming out the gear doors.

You can add a gap/shadow line underneath the sliding canopy section to show its a separate piece not attached to fuselage.

You will probably want to readjust the light/dark balance in the rivet layers once you make major changes to the weathering.   They might start to show more strongly than ever, and I suspect they might look a bit too defined and have too much 3D depth.  (The side profile shows this well)

My gawd tho that is an immpressive piece of work!  Thanks for all the angles/closeups.   Somebody get this guy more pictures of paintwear patterns on Japanese fighters!  Lyric?

Q: Why did you switch to brown overall from the green?   

this particular plane was brown. 

haha the bullet holes are my favorite part :cry especially the one in the center of the skulls forehead

I have been looking at Japanese planes from the war till my eyes hurt haha....you would be surprised at how much the paint peeled off of those planes, heck I saw a couple planes where there was almost no original paint left.

and that is why I went with so much peeling/weathering.

seriously thank you for your words, I will take what you say and put it in the ol noggin and when I rework it again, you can be sure I will fix certain things you mentioned....... :aok

but but do have to get rid of the bullet holes....... :cry :cry :cry :cry

:D
 :salute

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2011, 07:46:07 AM »
Thanks for the links.
Your first one looked pretty, this one is amazing detailed, i bet the next will be the most popular Ki-84 skin in no time.
Its all i have to say.
 :aok   <S>

(beware here comes the new star skinner)
AoM
City of ice