Author Topic: Dear History Channel  (Read 2981 times)

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
Re: Dear History Channel
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 07:54:35 PM »

Ice road truckers, swamp people, etc. are another story... 
but they arent.

IRT... if it wasnt for the bvrave souls driving their rigs up past the Arctic circle and risking their lives, they would have to dogsled the supplies in, or boat them in, or fly them in..just like in History. wht do ya know? theres history in it...

Pawn Stars. I have learned more on that show about our history then i think ive learned since i started school in pre-k.

American Pickers im not so hot on, but its history in fact.

:aok
Back in the days you could just leave it on and use it as musical background.  I miss that :frown:

:salute
BigRat
+1...when i listened to that type of music...
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Skulls22

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 07:59:59 PM »
I miss the shows with R Lee Ermey in them.
(In game Sparty)
R.I.P. SASFRAS, may you return some day soon
<S>

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 08:02:17 PM »
Mail Call was great!  I loved the candid humor that he added to the show.  The only thing that came close was Future Weapons, which seemed more like a long series of infomercials than what should have been awesomesauce on wheels.

-Penguin

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 08:03:22 PM »
what happened to mail call? was a damn fine show.
HogDweeb

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 09:15:02 PM »

IRT... if it wasnt for the bvrave souls driving their rigs up past the Arctic circle and risking their lives, they would have to dogsled the supplies in, or boat them in, or fly them in..just like in History. wht do ya know? theres history in it...

Eh, a show about someone's current job that they have right now is not history (unless their job routinely deals with historical artifacts, such as Pawn Stars or American Pickers).  Might as well put "Cops" on the history channel too, if we're using your definition--they've had a pretty interesting history themselves.

A documentary on the history of the ice road truckers would be history, but it'd also be a short series.  It seems to be less cost effective for the history channel to hire historians to research new documentaries than it is for them to hire producers to market new reality series.

Some folks might cringe for my saying this, but honestly, some of the best history programming available is produced or provided by your local public television...  It often puts cable to shame.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 09:19:23 PM »
Eh, a show about someone's current job that they have right now is not history (unless their job routinely deals with historical artifacts, such as Pawn Stars or American Pickers).  Might as well put "Cops" on the history channel too, if we're using your definition--they've had a pretty interesting history themselves.

A documentary on the history of the ice road truckers would be history, but it'd also be a short series.  It seems to be less cost effective for the history channel to hire historians to research new documentaries than it is for them to hire producers to market new reality series.

Some folks might cringe for my saying this, but honestly, some of the best history programming available is produced or provided by your local public television...  It often puts cable to shame.
your right. in all points. I like the show, just because its different from the other shows on History.
HogDweeb

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 01:08:56 AM »
I miss the shows with R Lee Ermey in them.
  :cry :cry :cry

i think R Lee Ermey has a new show lock and load? but have not seen it lately all i know is he looks to be getting old... :(

only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 01:28:17 AM »
I miss Dog Fights and Wings of the Luftwaffe and original Ice Road truckers, and all of the war documentaries, I havn't watched the History channel since Dog fights got canceled.  :cry
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 01:49:59 AM »
Don't like the Ice Road Truckers?

Wait until you see Maya in the Hot Tub.

(Image removed from quote.)

:D  :D

You might change your mind.

:salute
Right then was when that show jumped the shark. Not counting the shark jump with international version they did. This season has really gone downhill. Maya is obviously a bad driver only there for eyecandy. At least Lisa has some legit skills behind the wheel. The nube crybaby from Alabama is pathetic. He thinks everyone is out to get him. He lost me with his "the mechanics sabotaged me" rant when his truck wouldn't start after sitting at -30 for over a day.  :noid
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 04:22:16 AM »
I say blame deadliest catch. Sure I loved the first couple seasons but afterwards, forget it, too much drama
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2011, 05:35:02 AM »
At least it is on Discovery and not pretending to be a historical presentation because "history happens every day".
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 08:43:26 AM »
mtv = fail now.

History channel AKA Reality TV = failing fast
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2011, 09:40:43 AM »
The nube crybaby from Alabama is pathetic. He thinks everyone is out to get him. He lost me with his "the mechanics sabotaged me" rant when his truck wouldn't start after sitting at -30 for over a day.  :noid

Judging by this description, I think he would make a good AH player  ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2011, 10:11:57 AM »
Oh, I dunno, guys, the HISTORY Channel isn't all that bad, at least they keep things relevant and sensible. After all, who woulda known that the aliens waged nuclear war over the earth thousands of years ago? (End sarcasm).

I think I'll write a letter, too. If they give me that "history is made every day" BS, then I'm going to re-write them and ask them what sorta major historical event will come about in IRT, Swamp People and Larry the Cable Guy. (Given, LTCG does go to some historically significant places, but not enough to be really informative about them).
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Skulls22

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2011, 01:19:57 PM »
  :cry :cry :cry

i think R Lee Ermey has a new show lock and load? but have not seen it lately all i know is he looks to be getting old... :(

I LOVED Lock n' Load w/ R Lee Ermey, but It was only on for I think maybe a year, then it went to HI for a while. Now I don't see it at all. And I also loved Mail Call, that show always made me laugh a bit.
(In game Sparty)
R.I.P. SASFRAS, may you return some day soon
<S>