Author Topic: another darwin candidate  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Re: another darwin candidate
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 04:03:23 PM »
while i believe in wearing my helmet when i ride.......i do not believe anyone should have the right to tell me i must wear it. this rates right up there with seatbelts.
Would you sign a waiver freeing your state taxpayers from any liability to care for you in case your brain were permanently damaged? 
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 04:20:48 PM »
Well, then by this argument, let's apply the same insurance practices and medical care withholding to all the drivers of vehicles that were stupid enough to pull into the path of 18 wheelers, trains, dump trucks... etc.   Stupidity is stupidity.... don't go discriminating one from another.

The decision to wear a helmet or not is a deliberate, consious decision... pulling into the path of an 18 wheeler or train is likely not, and if it is, it would be properly described as "suicide" but would more accurately fall into the category of an "accident." Granted, it may have been caused by recklessness or carelessness on the part of the driver, but the driver still didn't say "I think i'm going to go get into that car and go hunt for a train to pull out in front of."

Apples, oranges....
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 04:21:58 PM »
Would you sign a waiver freeing your state taxpayers from any liability to care for you in case your brain were permanently damaged? 

Yeager,plz dont discourage stupidity you may need a new heart or kidney in the future!

:salute

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 04:25:47 PM »
The decision to wear a helmet or not is a deliberate, consious decision... pulling into the path of an 18 wheeler or train is likely not, and if it is, it would be properly described as "suicide" but would more accurately fall into the category of an "accident." Granted, it may have been caused by recklessness or carelessness on the part of the driver, but the driver still didn't say "I think i'm going to go get into that car and go hunt for a train to pull out in front of."

Apples, oranges....

Not quite..   I seriously doubt that anybody not wearing a helmet is expecting to be involved in an accident, either.  The point is that the expenses you're wishing to avoid for the 'general populace' applies to both cases ( vehicle and motorcycle ).
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 05:04:30 PM »
as a matter of fact, i would.

that being said, remember i said that i do believe in them, and personally wear them when/if i ride.

what's your opinion on people riding in shorts, and flip flops?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 05:05:42 PM »

Apples, oranges....

there is no such thing as an accident. negligence, yes...accidents.......not so much.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 05:08:15 PM »
Not quite..   I seriously doubt that anybody not wearing a helmet is expecting to be involved in an accident, either.  The point is that the expenses you're wishing to avoid for the 'general populace' applies to both cases ( vehicle and motorcycle ).

and we could take this statement well beyond vehicles.........like the girl down the street, that already can barely afford to pay her rent.....she "accidentally" got pregnant. who's gonna pay for the kid? and how do you accidentally get pregnant?

i could go on, but i don't want a vacation.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 05:16:47 PM »
what's your opinion on people riding in shorts, and flip flops?

makes my skin crawl and my toes curl every time I see that.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline The Jekyll

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 05:17:22 PM »
there is no such thing as an accident. negligence, yes...accidents.......not so much.

I absolutely agree, accident is an irrelevant word on our roads. Which is precisely why driving is not a right, it is a privelage. Thus the argument that a person operating on that public roadway shouldn't be told how to operate on that roadway, and what to operate is wrong. If the person operating that vehicle doesn't like the criteria they have a choice not to operate. Helmets while riding a motorcycle is a smart decision and one that if enacted will save countless lives operating on your roadway.

I am sure many remember the case where the motorcycle operator was hit in the head with flying debris, veered into an oncoming school bus and caused that bus to collide, hit a ditch, and cause the deaths of school aged children.

That helmet isn't just about you. There will always be people on both sides of this argument which is fair. Just know that our decisions for requiring helmets is abour our safety and our tax dollars, not about your freedom. <S>

Also agreed, people riding in shorts and flip-flops, ya just want to give the "here's your sign"
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 05:19:33 PM by The Jekyll »
Yea, simply because I can

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 05:32:04 PM »
A good discussion, kinda hard not to talk politics IN this one.
Do yourself and family a favor, Wear the helmet :aok

:cheers: Oz

Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 05:38:23 PM »
a friend of mine dropped his triumph daytona on a motorway at about 100. he just blacked out, had some kind of undiagnosed mini-seizure, doesnt remember anything at all. the blackout was the real worry (it hasnt recurred btw :)) - and all he had from the stack was lots of bruising and a very bent bike.

similar high speed sports bike stacks for my cousin (1 week coma, now fine) and another friend (3 day coma, now fine). all 3 would be dead now. thats what a decent helmet and leathers are for :aok

edit: forgot my aunt - massive stack racing in the 60s. had a really nasty one, fine now apart from one leg 1" shorter than the other. if she wasnt wearing a helmet and leathers, my cousin wouldnt have been alive to almost die on his bike ...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 05:41:52 PM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 05:49:36 PM »
makes my skin crawl and my toes curl every time I see that.

mine too.....and you'd be surprised at how many i see. even on harleys, which i would least expect to see that on.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 05:56:42 PM »
I absolutely agree, accident is an irrelevant word on our roads. Which is precisely why driving is not a right, it is a privelage. Thus the argument that a person operating on that public roadway shouldn't be told how to operate on that roadway, and what to operate is wrong. If the person operating that vehicle doesn't like the criteria they have a choice not to operate. Helmets while riding a motorcycle is a smart decision and one that if enacted will save countless lives operating on your roadway.

I am sure many remember the case where the motorcycle operator was hit in the head with flying debris, veered into an oncoming school bus and caused that bus to collide, hit a ditch, and cause the deaths of school aged children.

That helmet isn't just about you. There will always be people on both sides of this argument which is fair. Just know that our decisions for requiring helmets is abour our safety and our tax dollars, not about your freedom. <S>

Also agreed, people riding in shorts and flip-flops, ya just want to give the "here's your sign"

i wear my helmet.......i guess to shorten it up a little.....you can't legislate common sense. you can't legislate stupidity away.

i wear my seatbelt because i believe in them. i wear my helmet for the same reason. when i look back on the trips i took through Delaware, stopping as soon as i crossed the bridge, to remove my helmet, and hang it on the back........i can't imagine what possessed me to do such. but.......in Delaware, it's MY choice. when i go through there now, i choose to keep it on.

to be honest, i think my shadow's goin up for sale, and if i still wanna ride next year, it's gonna be on a goldwing.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 06:03:23 PM »
A good discussion, kinda hard not to talk politics IN this one.
Do yourself and family a favor, Wear the helmet :aok

:cheers: Oz

i think we're all dancing very gingerly around it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »
Yeah I posted about this on here yesterday, the guy was definitely not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  If this wasn't enough to make the other guys riding with him on the protest start wearing a helmet then nothings going to make them, definitely not the threat of a traffic ticket for it.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,315994.0.html
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson