Author Topic: P51 colides with Skyraider  (Read 5337 times)

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
Re: P51 colides with Skyraider
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2011, 08:17:03 PM »
Hate to interrupt the argument, I just noticed no one had answered this question, so I will.

The original Big Beautiful Doll, Col John D. Lander's famous Mustang, is still very much intact, it is hanging from the ceiling of the Imperial War museum in London.

(Image removed from quote.)

You may now return to pointless bickering.  :bolt:

To quote indiana jones, IT BELONG'S IN A MUSEUM! :D
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2011, 08:45:45 PM »
Hate to interrupt the argument, I just noticed no one had answered this question, so I will.

The original Big Beautiful Doll, Col John D. Lander's famous Mustang, is still very much intact, it is hanging from the ceiling of the Imperial War museum in London.

That is not correct.  The Imperial War Museum's Mustang was not the original Big Beautiful Doll.  It is simply painted to look like it.

From their website:

The P-51 on display is a replica painted as an aircraft of the Duxford-based 78th Fighter Group. Numerous airworthy P-51s are based at Duxford and regularly take to the air over the historic airfield.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2011, 08:59:28 PM »
That is not correct.  The Imperial War Museum's Mustang was not the original Big Beautiful Doll.  It is simply painted to look like it.

From their website:

Take one look at the prop and it will tell ya it's not the original.  There is another flying 51D out there painted as BBD as well.  Actual combat vet surviving Mustangs are few and far between.

How goes it Bodhi? :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2011, 10:29:12 PM »
I am doing alright.  Things are a bit slow these days.  Hot and freaking muggy as all hell where I am living....  not fun working in the hangar like that.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2011, 11:00:05 PM »
I am doing alright.  Things are a bit slow these days.  Hot and freaking muggy as all hell where I am living....  not fun working in the hangar like that.

I did a couple years in Louisiana.  I didn't know what humidity was until then :)

Haven't complained about Minnesota summer heat ever since!
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2011, 11:42:41 PM »
That is not correct.  The Imperial War Museum's Mustang was not the original Big Beautiful Doll.  It is simply painted to look like it.

From their website:

I sit corrected...

(hangs head in shame)  :(

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2011, 11:51:02 PM »
Take one look at the prop and it will tell ya it's not the original.  There is another flying 51D out there painted as BBD as well.  Actual combat vet surviving Mustangs are few and far between.

How goes it Bodhi? :)
what made me question it when i first saw the pic was the canopy. Is it just me or does that not look like a double bubble?
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2011, 12:15:20 AM »
what made me question it when i first saw the pic was the canopy. Is it just me or does that not look like a double bubble?

It's the Dallas style flat 'clear view' canopy.  Not sure if that's the exact name but it was flattened at the Dallas plant to try and do away with distortion looking through the more rounded canopy.  But it's also got the uncuffed Hamilton Standard prop.  The real deal didn't, and I don't know that I've ever seen an uncuffed 51D prop on a WW2 bird.  The 51K had the Aeroproducts blade that was uncuffed but not the Hamilton Standard on the D models.  The IWM bird was RCAF at one point if I remember right.

And if we're going to be technical the original "Big Beautiful Doll" was the one John Landers had when he was CO of the 38th FS, 55th FG.  He then took it with him to the 357th when he was CO.  His more well known 78th FG "Big Beautiful Doll" was the replacement for the first BBD he had pictured below with the 55th FS in August 44:)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2011, 12:41:46 AM »
Was suddenly and inexplicably reminded of this screenshot -- had to look it up on the AH website to find it!

Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2011, 12:50:23 AM »
Was suddenly and inexplicably reminded of this screenshot -- had to look it up on the AH website to find it!

This was actually my background for a while lol
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2011, 10:42:16 AM »
(First post here, been a lurker on the forums for a good while now before making an account.)

Eying that image, it looks like all the cables do end up at the floor of the fuselage.

Red is me guessing about where the damage would be based on images.

I don't see the point about arguing where the cables are and if they were damaged or not. The pilot said he lost control of the elevators according to earlier posts in the thread.

If this is the same "gustav" from WW2aircraft forums, he is a great source of information.

Offline Gustav

• Copper Member
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2011, 12:49:42 PM »
I am not the same person, sorry. Just someone who likes the 109G and has been lurking for a while waiting to get into a better financial state and off satellite internet to be able to sign up for AH.

but on topic on the thread: I know I didn't say this with my first post, But I am glad no one was hurt in the collision.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2011, 07:50:18 AM »
Welcome to the boards.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2011, 02:18:13 PM »
Frothing at the mouth, so sad.

Stick and stones won't change the fact you're a conceited narcissistic compulsive liar.

That makes three times I've directly responded to the content of your posts for the twice you've just beaten around the bush after being called out and gone for personaly attacking me.  How many more times you want to make yourself look like a fool?
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2011, 09:25:27 PM »
Stick and stones won't change the fact you're a conceited narcissistic compulsive liar.

That makes three times I've directly responded to the content of your posts for the twice you've just beaten around the bush after being called out and gone for personaly attacking me.  How many more times you want to make yourself look like a fool?

Personal attack?  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Beaten around the bush. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Looking like a fool. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl