Author Topic: P51 colides with Skyraider  (Read 5343 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: P51 colides with Skyraider
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2011, 10:33:57 PM »
A pilot's life is always worth more than the plane.
That's all I have.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2011, 10:54:13 PM »
That's all I have.

Classy Mr. Fink  :salute
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2011, 11:08:38 AM »
Classy Mr. Fink  :salute

Ditto!   :aok. The bottom line......
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:06:29 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2011, 07:21:56 PM »
To illustrate the fact that the damage may have been more than skin deep. I would like you to look at a photograph of a mini-van that I hit a deer with. While the sheet metal damage is limited to the front quarter of the vehicle... The force of the collision jammed the passenger door shut.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:28:45 PM by G0ALY »
My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline sntslilhlpr6601

• Copper Member
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2011, 08:41:44 PM »
Yep, the mustang didn't shed anything. It was all pushed in. Looking at the schematic, the dent itself may not have reached the elevator cables but that doesn't mean it didn't push other parts into them.

Kudos to the pilot for making the right decision and executing it quickly and effectively.  :salute

...and none for those who second-guessed that decision.  :rolleyes:

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2011, 10:28:58 PM »
That's all I have.
That's all you need to have...
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2011, 02:26:39 AM »
Of course one could go into the discussion on how a poorly planned, poorly executed unnecessary risky manouver caused the destruction of yet another vintage bird...
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2011, 02:39:55 AM »
Of course one could go into the discussion on how a poorly planned, poorly executed unnecessary risky manouver caused the destruction of yet another vintage bird...

Or we could just let this dead horse lay, regret the loss of the aircraft, but ultimately celebrate the fact that the pilot lived, and turn our attention to something else...

My $.02
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »
Who is full of it?

(Image removed from quote.)

What your pic shows is the rudder cables. (I was in error as it is the rudder trim cables that rise)

Now go sit on the porcelain throne and have a good dump of fecal matter.

Better to speak up and remove all doubt, eigh?

Per YOUR OWN QUOTE!!!  With your own smart arse, show me in that diagram, in assoiciation with the published pictures of the damage, your main strut that hides ALL (_100%_) control cables!!!!

LOOK AT YOURSELF!!!  Your changing THE FACT of where the damage occured with where you WISH it had occured to support YOUR BLINDING DISEASE OF THE MOUTH!

You're the one that opened it without ANY evidence or supporting facts, stop making a mountain out of a mole hill and making youself even look more foolish kid.

The fact you even believe this pilot had the choice to completely control the plane to a safe landing rather than ditch it also shows you dont have the intelligence beyond that of a 12-yo in this day... and THAT is SAD!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:05:45 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2011, 01:11:43 PM »
a picture I took about 5 hours before the ill fated accident.   R.I.P  Big Beautiful   :salute

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2011, 04:23:19 PM »
garbage removed

Frothing at the mouth, so sad.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2011, 06:07:09 PM »
To me, it's the Skyraider's responsability not to run into his leader, said leader can do whatever he wishes (to an extend), he's responsible for his flight.

Our saying in the FAF was "If your leader runs into the ground and you didn't ... you did something wrong :uhoh ... and we lost 4 mirages that impacted the ground all next to each other.

My most uneasy feeling was flying in a cloud in a 5 ship V formation. I was #2, and the lead decided to climb us thru a cloud in a montainous area. We protested on the radio but he still elected to fly us in. #5 broke away before the cloud. Upon entering the cloud #3 bones out, the lead starts waiving back and forth, and we lose 4. Now I'm sticking to a leader that is trying to get us killed, while 2 AWOL monkeys are"somewhere" in the same cloud. We eventually poped thru the top a few minutes later and all reformed. Formation flying is not hard, but it can be dangerous real quick when you don't follow the 101s.

In my formation flying days we didn't do v formations breaks, we went on a right a left echelon. Our "lost sight" procedure was to dive and turn away from what we were doing. I'm pretty sure the P51 pilot recognized right away how responsive his plane was, and kudos for bailing out so quickly. The Skyraider got caught in that roll and recovered, then landed. Maybe he couldn't bail out or he had bals of steels.

Who cares, I'm glad nobody died :rock
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:09:30 PM by SFRT - Frenchy »
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2011, 06:50:48 PM »
Hate to interrupt the argument, I just noticed no one had answered this question, so I will.

so what became of the original big beautiful doll?

The original Big Beautiful Doll, Col John D. Lander's famous Mustang, is still very much intact, it is hanging from the ceiling of the Imperial War museum in London.

You may now return to pointless bickering.  :bolt:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:55:51 PM by saggs »

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2011, 07:30:39 PM »
Ok, reading on another forum input from a pilot who flew at Duxford regulary, apparently the procedure for a run in an break at Duxford is not the normal pull up and hard left turn which would sequence the formation for a downwind.  But due to noise considerations related to a village in the pattern, the briefing suggested a 90 degree turn. Apparently the P51 pilot followed that procedure and the Spad pilot didn't. The suggestion is that he wasn't at the pilot briefing where this procedure was discussed. It's notable that he wasn't based at the field and indeed after the break he was supposed to return to his home field without landing at Duxford.

Having said that my viewing of the videos leads me to believe that the P51 pilot stopped turning earlier than neccessary. But so what do I know, I'm only a skydive pilot and a low timer at that. I'll leave the real judgement to the experts.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »
Hate to interrupt the argument, I just noticed no one had answered this question, so I will.

The original Big Beautiful Doll, Col John D. Lander's famous Mustang, is still very much intact, it is hanging from the ceiling of the Imperial War museum in London.

You may now return to pointless bickering.  :bolt:
Ty saggs  :salute