Author Topic: Shhhh.... I'm Secretly Shelling the Base.  (Read 1303 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: Shhhh.... I'm Secretly Shelling the Base.
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 12:07:47 AM »
So we want to replace dilligence with flashing lights?

In the real war, there were people who were tasked with spotting the enemy.

I routinely check bases that aren't flashing and have found some interesting things going on that needed attention.

Remember also that none of the countries is fully incapable of actually bringing a ship to a base without someone upping from it to drop a single bomb, die, and move on now that the enemy has been alerted and is on the way to destroy the ship.

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 12:27:48 AM »
So we want to replace dilligence with flashing lights?

In the real war, there were people who were tasked with spotting the enemy.

Using that logic you may as well turn off base flashing all together. But, base flashing is the AI spotters who are supposed to be on the lookout for an incoming attack.  Again... my point is, if they can spot a plane or a jeep, they should be able to spot a task force.

Many players are diligent as well.  But if a base is not flashing, and the dar is not down, there are many other things that can get our attention first.  Hence the reason the base alerts exist in the first place.

Remember also that none of the countries is fully incapable of actually bringing a ship to a base without someone upping from it to drop a single bomb, die, and move on now that the enemy has been alerted and is on the way to destroy the ship.

In some cases yes... and that would be true for the most part in LW, as there are a good number of players who dont know each other on the same side, dont listen to direction, or simply dont care.  In MW or EW you have more of a chance to pull it off though, as the team is smaller, and for the most part, knows each other and will work together in doing this.

But I have seen it done even in LW too.  

Again... its a matter of:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:34:01 AM by AKP »

***G3-MF***

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 01:51:39 AM »
Your complaint is moot.  Everyone knows that since it's summer, some noob will up an SBD while all guns are firing on town and the boat is turning and there is a mission posted that they're waiting to fill up before launching the attack. :bolt:
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 03:02:50 AM »
i dont think it should flash if it is just at the radar ring,or even do anything for that matter.once it closes to within lets say 5 miles then theres a warning that enemy TG is offshore.if not then there wouldnt be much cv use unless you takeoff just outside of radar ring,giving them time to up and report cv.

we all know how much of a sitting duck a loaded down f4 or f6f is coming from 10 miles away just upping from a cv is.

the cv wouldnt last long thereafter.i like krusty's idea of an AI controled SB.but i do not think the base should give a warning just because it entered dar ring.

by the time the first wave gets in lets just say theres 70% of the planes that upped from the cv are still up,30% had been shot down.
theoreticaly if the cv flashes upon entering the radar ring,by the time the mission planes show up to the field buffs are almost to the CV,now you have your 30% upping again,by the time they get to the field again the cv has buffs over it.lets say they sink the CV,its almost like launching a mission from a base you dont have.
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 06:35:30 AM »
one more obvious issue that has been always been on, but never even been looked at.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
 i would agree to cv flashing base only if hi-tech reduces city damage to 50% then white flag, spending a week trying to win a map boring.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 05:34:58 PM »
-1 to this, ONLY thing we have left not to have 4000 uppers. Do as I do, CHECK your bases every now and then, is that so hard.....oh wait to busy pick'n or not my job or that's no fun or whyyyyyyyyy :cry should we have to check bases let HT make ANOTHER easy button for all of us. Better yet and this is a real simple idea, do away with all cv's, that way there will be no shady players taking an undefended bases or anyone hiding cv's. BTW the map we have now(LW) what ever its called really should have NO cv's, biggest joke ever map way to small to have that many cv's on it. :salute
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2011, 05:46:15 PM »

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2011, 06:16:13 PM »
+1, give the squirrels with cameras a rubber dingy.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Gary26

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2011, 07:23:31 PM »
Some alarm should go off the second the "base is under attack". i.e. A town building goes boom or the first ack gun goes down.
C.O. VMF-213 Hell Hawks

VMF4

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »
Do as I do, CHECK your bases every now and then, is that so hard.....oh wait to busy pick'n or not my job or that's no fun or whyyyyyyyyy :cry should we have to check bases let HT make ANOTHER easy button for all of us.

The CV being able to flatten a base in secret is a much bigger "easy button" than the base flashing.  Again... by your logic the bases shouldnt flash at all... for anything.  Have fun checking them.   :salute

***G3-MF***

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2011, 07:55:46 PM »
-1 to this, ONLY thing we have left not to have 4000 uppers. Do as I do, CHECK your bases every now and then, is that so hard.....oh wait to busy pick'n or not my job or that's no fun or whyyyyyyyyy :cry should we have to check bases let HT make ANOTHER easy button for all of us. Better yet and this is a real simple idea, do away with all cv's, that way there will be no shady players taking an undefended bases or anyone hiding cv's. BTW the map we have now(LW) what ever its called really should have NO cv's, biggest joke ever map way to small to have that many cv's on it. :salute

Slight over-reaction.  :uhoh
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2011, 07:58:56 PM »
     Everyone I know would be completely oblivious to 8 inch shell bursts blowing up the town or base  :rolleyes:
  <What's that loud noise outside?>
Sometimes you don't need radar to see something is odd  :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2011, 08:40:11 PM »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2011, 06:25:45 AM »
The CV being able to flatten a base in secret is a much bigger "easy button" than the base flashing.  Again... by your logic the bases shouldnt flash at all... for anything.  Have fun checking them.   :salute

Maybe no base should flash unless a player is manning the radar and yes I do check bases and have fun jumping a mission off a cv :salute