Author Topic: 12 hour rule and the "less" fun it created for me  (Read 9235 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: 12 hour rule and the "less" fun it created for me
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2011, 12:25:52 PM »
What is the reason for the side switching time limit other than spiez?  I don't know of one.

Wiley.

Because it has always been that way. 

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2011, 12:26:31 PM »
What is the reason for the side switching time limit other than spiez?  I don't know of one.

Wiley.

I don't know or care *shrug*

The point was, if it was 12 hours to begin with and hasn't ever changed (except when we had split arenas) then who exactly has been foot stomping and imposing their paranoia on HiTech?
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2011, 12:37:07 PM »

The point was, if it was 12 hours to begin with and hasn't ever changed (except when we had split arenas) then who exactly has been foot stomping and imposing their paranoia on HiTech?

Maybe it's like 'student assistance" by any government. Once given to them, "IF" you have to take a little back, all holy hell breaks loose. Ofcourse the BIG difference obviously is, this is not given to us we pay for this sub!  :aok

1 hour switch times were given, many folks found a new freedom and enjoyment to the game that we pay for, then ripped from our grasp without any discussion on the pros or cons!!

JUGgler
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:40:21 PM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2011, 01:13:08 PM »

The only reason that I have ever seen for the side switching restrictions is so you can't switch sides and use info you have on CV and aircraft locations against that side too often.  People often claim spiez when there is a legion of other reasons their mission got busted.  That's the paranoia that gets foisted on HTC and the arena at large.

I've only ever known 1 hour restriction, and that seemed to me to be reasonable, or at least much more reasonable than 12 hours.

I don't particularly care that there was no discussion when it was put back to 12 hours.  Design by committee gives us a WWI arena and a B29 that's underutilized, but at least we've got it now.

Sometimes unpopular decisions are best for the game.  My issue is, the 12 hour switch timer seems to me to actively work against the ENY and perk bonus system which is there for side balancing.  It also does nothing to stop a determined spy.  The only practical effect I've seen from it is, I've seen less incidents of people crying 'SPY!' at the drop of a hat.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2011, 02:06:02 PM »
What is the reason for the side switching time limit other than spiez?  I don't know of one.

This again?  There was a whole thread where I tried to explain that it has nothing to do with spying.  The 12 hour time limit prevents wild fluctuations in numbers between sides in the short term and should prevent persistent imbalances in numbers over the long term.  Theoretically, that should result in better gameplay, but that assumes a correlation between balanced arena numbers and more numerically-balanced fights.  I'm not sure if that's actually the case, but there ya go.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2011, 02:15:23 PM »
 Ok.  I stand corrected.  Thanks for the info.

With that said, still don't like it. ;)

Wiley.

JG11

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2011, 02:20:21 PM »
This again?  There was a whole thread where I tried to explain that it has nothing to do with spying.  The 12 hour time limit prevents wild fluctuations in numbers between sides in the short term and should prevent persistent imbalances in numbers over the long term.  Theoretically, that should result in better gameplay, but that assumes a correlation between balanced arena numbers and more numerically-balanced fights.  I'm not sure if that's actually the case, but there ya go.

That sure is a better answer than "it was always this way before the split".  Asking why it is 12 hours is a reasonable question.  HTC is not obligated, but it wouldn't kill them to give their reasons and end the discussion.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2011, 02:33:17 PM »
Sometimes I think they just let these kinds of threads run their course just to see if something bubbles up that might be useful.  The useful thing might not even be the main point of the thread half the time.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2011, 02:45:53 PM »
Sometimes I think they just let these kinds of threads run their course just to see if something bubbles up that might be useful.  The useful thing might not even be the main point of the thread half the time.

Wiley.

Here let this bubble up, I would pay 100 perks to change country anytime I like, hell I'd go $5 per month for the freedom!  :aok

Diversify damnit!

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2011, 02:49:39 PM »
get rid of the time completely, but if you change you lose cross country chat for a half hour and to go even further, no ords for you if you switch for half hour, have to pay perks, hell basically anything  to get rid of this, its driving me nuts.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2011, 03:23:09 PM »

If it was say, 6 hours, would the fluctuations be twice as wild?  Would they even change at all?  I say no.  Why is 12 hour bogus?  This is why:

I log in at 11 am in the morning this weekend to fly a little bit.  Not many players are on, fights really suck as Bish.  I want to switch sides, but I know if I do I won't be able to switch back again until 11 o clock at night.  If i'm staying in that night, I'd likely want to be flying with my squad around 9 o clock and this would screw everything up for no good reason at all.  If it was 6 hours, I do not think any "fluctuation gains" would be lost yet it would significantly improve the ability to make a country switch in the morning and another in the night.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »
Here let this bubble up, I would pay 100 perks to change country anytime I like, hell I'd go $5 per month for the freedom!

+1
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2011, 04:02:20 PM »
Well the one thing that I see as a bonus to this 12 hour rule is that it will decrease the people that jump ship as their side looses the war, and kill the Eny for those of us that stick to the side, win or loose.  If they can't just jump back to their original side they are less likely to jump to the winning side.  Just my 1/10 of a cent.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2011, 04:13:41 PM »
Well the one thing that I see as a bonus to this 12 hour rule is that it will decrease the people that jump ship as their side looses the war, and kill the Eny for those of us that stick to the side, win or loose.  If they can't just jump back to their original side they are less likely to jump to the winning side.  Just my 1/10 of a cent.

1st of all again! The correct spelling here would be "loses"!!  OMG now that that is out of the way, I have never heard or seen anyone switch sides to avoid being on the "losing" side.

Never ever ever ever!

Just saying!

:salute

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2011, 04:19:48 PM »
If it was say, 6 hours, would the fluctuations be twice as wild?  Would they even change at all?  I say no.  Why is 12 hour bogus?  This is why:

I log in at 11 am in the morning this weekend to fly a little bit.  Not many players are on, fights really suck as Bish.  I want to switch sides, but I know if I do I won't be able to switch back again until 11 o clock at night.  If i'm staying in that night, I'd likely want to be flying with my squad around 9 o clock and this would screw everything up for no good reason at all.  If it was 6 hours, I do not think any "fluctuation gains" would be lost yet it would significantly improve the ability to make a country switch in the morning and another in the night.

You could cut that in half again (3 hours) and I don't think any "fluctuation gains" would be lost yet it would significantly improve the ability to make a country switch if one wanted to jump to a lesser populated country.

Also, this BS time restraint should only be applied to the LW arena ... EW and MW should remain at 1 hour.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."