Author Topic: Loose Deuce: Recruiting those who want to fly the Spit 9s, learn squad tactics  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Loose Deuce: Recruiting those who want to fly the Spit 9s, learn squad t
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 01:47:37 AM »
Hmpf. I had your favorite being the XII, I need to make more appearances on ch 138.

The XII is my favorite :)  Low alt, single stage Griffon, clipped wings, tall tail....What a beauty!

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: Loose Deuce:
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 02:06:14 AM »
The VI and VII were high alt fighters and it was a way to protect the pilots from the effects on the body up above 40K.  The other 2 were recce birds and up high safer from interception.  They did some tests in the late 40s and the Spit 19s were able to get in and take the pictures as the early jets couldn't get up to them.

There are a number of surviving Spit 19s still flying.  And the only surviving Spitfire VII EN474 is at the National Air and Space Museum in DC.  If you look at photos of Spits, look for a long intake on the right side of the engine cowl below the exhaust stacks.  That's a sign it's a VI, VII, X or 19

There is no door on the left side of the cockpit like unpressurized Spits.  Different canopy set up too.

EN474
(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for explaining.

One more question, they did not keep it pressurized bellow 40K, right?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: Loose Deuce: Recruiting those who want to fly the Spit 9s, learn squad t
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 02:07:15 AM »
The XII is my favorite :)  Low alt, single stage Griffon, clipped wings, tall tail....What a beauty!

I think me and you need to move over to the wishlist forum...
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 02:10:24 AM »
Thanks for explaining.

One more question, they did not keep it pressurized bellow 40K, right?

On the Spitfire VI the canopy was bolted on so the only way the pilot could get rid of it was to jettison it.  They sometimes flew without it if they were not going up high.  The others had canopies that cold be slid back.  Interestingly enough the VII in the summer of 44 after D-Day had the extended wing tips removed and regular tips put on, and was flown in ground attack at times.  So no they didn't always have it pressurized.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 02:13:32 AM »
On the Spitfire VI the canopy was bolted on so the only way the pilot could get rid of it was to jettison it.  They sometimes flew without it if they were not going up high.  The others had canopies that cold be slid back.  Interestingly enough the VII in the summer of 44 after D-Day had the extended wing tips removed and regular tips put on, and was flown in ground attack at times.  So no they didn't always have it pressurized.

So their life support system did not could not maintain outside pressure? That's a lot easier to do than keep it pressurized.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Loose Deuce: Recruiting those who want to fly the Spit 9s
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 08:16:58 AM »
I heard Midway is willing and able to fly Spit 9's     :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 09:10:17 AM »

i love you too mate  :lol

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: Loose Deuce: Recruiting those who want to fly the Spit 9s,
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 09:21:57 AM »
You need training to fly the Spit IX?  Chortle.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Loose Deuce: Recruiting learn squad tactics
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 10:41:50 AM »
I'm confused.... "learning" the spit??   :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Loose Deuce: Recruiting those who want to fly the Spit 9s, learn squad tactics
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 11:35:17 AM »
Sorry, had to strap on a Limey Spit this scenario. After this back to the Butcher Bird for me, or settle for a 109. Our crew committed Allied so here we are.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Loose Deuce: Recruiting those who want to fly the Spit 9s, learn squad tactics
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 11:36:08 AM »
As for Midway, Bruv when you are done with the ankel humper let me know. Let's send him to Grizz and the Army of Muppets. I hear Grizz is lonely for love in all the wrong places.

And yes Shuffler, we will "train" you on how to fly the Spit 9. For you it's a tall order but once you leave your purdy, shiny little 38 with training wheels and get used to something a little...you know, flight worthy, we can train you just fine. Shall we sign you up? If so, bring a case of scotch, loaf of french bread, whip cream, rouge lipstick and a blindfold. Don't ask any questions, we'll be very detailed in our instructions. Have you ever milked a goat before? Oh whatever, we can teach you that too.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Loose Deuce: Recruiting , learn squad tactics
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »
Back in H2H days we just told the new guy up a spit, take off and watch or take a nap. Wake up and land your kills. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: Loose Deuce: Recruiting learn squad tactics
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 02:10:32 PM »
I'm confused.... "learning" the spit??   :)

Just like any other plane. You need to know what altitude not to fly at, what speed not to turn fight at, what to do not to rip the wings off at high speed ect...
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 01:10:33 AM »

:huh With LDs?  :rolleyes:  Will never happen. :headscratch:  They just rub me the wrong way with how they fly, but we won't go there here.  :bhead

:devil

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 09:54:56 AM »
:huh With LDs?  :rolleyes:  Will never happen. :headscratch:  They just rub me the wrong way with how they fly, but we won't go there here.  :bhead

:devil

That's why you need to bring a shot glass and a sense of humor.  :cheers: What's the matter, you can't come in and just have a little fun?  :airplane: Gotta be the antagonist all the time?  :uhoh We don't pay to play a game YOUR way.  :joystick: Nor does anyone pay to make it easy for the other guy to get a kill. :t This is a game to alot of us. :ahand You still haven't come over to help me move some heavy boxes around in my basement either.  :O
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 09:58:48 AM by james »
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070