Author Topic: Where has the AH Luftwaffe gone?  (Read 4399 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Where has the AH Luftwaffe gone?
« on: July 17, 2001, 08:47:00 AM »
I cant believe they are all at WW2OL, so where are they?

Now before I go on with this post I hope to make it clear this is an honest and well-meaning post to discuss wht the LW and LW aircraft pilots are or seem to be leaving AH in large numbers.

If the usual suspects wish to ridicule me and this post, please go ahead and enjoy yourself as I certainly cant stop you. Nonetheless I openly ask you to refrain from such behavior in this post.

I hope this post reaches those with an open mind and a positive and constructive attitude so a good discussion develops and perhaps some good ideas and suggestions emerge to reverse this trend.

Thank you.

Best way to do this may just be to pose several simple questions and see where it takes us?

Why are LW leaving, what is driving them away?

Ceratinly there is great evidence of this on the BBS and the MA, both individual LW pilots and whole squads seem to be dissapering.

What could we as individual AH players do about this?

What advice could you give to LW pilots considering leaving AH?

What could the AH community do to reatain a LW presence in the MA?

Does the AH community desire a strong or any LW presence in the game?

What could HTC do to retain these LW customers?

LW pay $30 a month just like anyone and if there is a recent trend in their product that alienates a certain customer group one must think HTC is concerned.

Does anyone care?

Thats about it for now, I guess.

Please keep the note at the top of this post in mind before you respond.

Lets have a good discussion and come up with constructive ideas!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2001, 08:50:00 AM »
Any alienation was done of their own accord.  People didn't demand that LW congregate toward one country.

AKDejaVu

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2001, 08:54:00 AM »
First of all, they can start stop calling themselves the "LW" or "LuftWaffe"... they are a bunch of cyber dorks that play a computer game. They do not fly for or are affiliated with the LuftWaffe inside this game.

virtualLuftWaffe or vLW works for me.

Second of all, with a combined kill tally (amongst all German aircraft) of 9453... I don't see the self-proclaimed uber Hauptmann vonLuftWaffeDoppleDingers actually disappearing from the face of the earth.

Third of all, why are you coming to us thinking that we will show these "LuftWaffe" players the light? If they can't see it, we can't lead them to it. It's plain and obvious what the problem is, and it ain't the planes/guns/AH.
-SW

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2001, 09:01:00 AM »
I think it may be your perception, Grun.  I count no fewer than 4 LW squads in the top 50 Squad scores, and no less than 17 LW squads listed at HTC.  I think what you percieve is the vocal ones, and the vets that were here from day one have moved on...that's normal in any online sim, seen it happen in AW, then Warbirds, seen it here too.  LW flyers are alive and well in AH, they are just not the guys that you're accustomed to seeing, the Kirins, the Rams, the MrBeans, there is a whole new breed of LW flyers out there today.

Yes, new sims have taken their toll on HTC's income, but not to the point that it makes any difference to me, the other night I ran into a 4 some of 109 drivers, they flew it very good, I was lucky to get out of there alive (run like a girl!).

AH is like a 5 gallon bucket of water, when you stick your hand in the bucket and then pull it out, do you perceive any drop in the water?  Nope.  Actually, for every person that leaves, I meet two newbies online!

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2001, 09:04:00 AM »
I still remember that dogfight we had a week or two ago Rip... still fresh in my mind.

EDIT: Maybe too fresh in my mind, it must of been 3 weeks ago! :eek: (just looked at the date)
It's always the hard, good fights with great players that stick in your head.

S! Rip!
-SW

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: SWulfe ]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2001, 09:14:00 AM »
<S> back at 'cha wulfie!

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2001, 09:27:00 AM »
My opinion would be: the game got boring, since nothing new was around than quake on wings.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2001, 09:28:00 AM »
The first two to reply on this thread haven't come with any meaningful answer rather than squeaking. Being themselves again, I cannot blame them.

I am in contact with few of the former AH LW contingent. All from 9./JG54. They went to WW2OL, however, seems that the game isn't what they expected. Now they are in WB. While I still prefer AH FM and the game itself, if my squad went to WB, I will join them.

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: Hristo ]

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2001, 09:45:00 AM »
I think that with the much-hated islands map we had the last 1.5 weeks, a larger majority of the sorties were flown from CVs.  This limits the aircraft choices to non-LW.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2001, 09:55:00 AM »
If you are going to insist that we should care that these self-proclaimed Experten are leaving, you are sadly mistaken.

The only one I will miss is StSanta, if he leaves.
-SW

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
hmmmmmm...

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: hblair ]

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2001, 10:02:00 AM »
That's a whole rack of red Xs HB...
-SW

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2001, 10:02:00 AM »
Not sure.  Then again do (or did) we have the USAAF here? The RAF? The IJAAF?  The VVS?  etc etc???

I can only say I saw several players who role played, pretended to be a pilot on the bad guys side and found when they needed to use the tools required to fill out the costume they balked (as they have in AW, WB's and now AH) and they migrate away in search of a place that will elevate thier rides to a percieved level of superiority.  Most have usually then vocally left but not before denigrating the FM of brand XX's ME's and FW's as being wrong, totally bogus and part of some imagined conspiracy.

Right now WW2O with the hokey and physics defying flight model seems to be the magnet. The 109 rules the roost there, and is that not what the pseudo LW wants and thinks is correct? Alas, where they will go when the WW2O FM is (if!) brought more in line to mimick reality is unkown. And CRS has said FM changes are in the works.

What I look forward to when I log online is to fly and fight against other people. I chuckle at the folks wearing costumes and playing make believe.
 Then again it's thier money so it's also thier perogative. They can pretend to be anything they want to. Untill it over spills into what they demand and who or what they accuse of being wrong because of thier perception. And their is a long histerical, or historical, precedent for that in every online sim/game out there. The LW adoration types whine the most the longest and the loudest.

But you asked my opinion so I added it here.

Westy

(I've not aded what I really think of people who admire and pretend to be a member of one arm of the Nazi war machine. A group who were supported by thier society and were bent on subjugating and enslaving those that they could)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2001, 10:10:00 AM »
Pretty much what Rip said. There's still plenty of LW aircraft in the virtual skies.

Only some individual players have left. If they weren't happy, why would they stay? I hope they find the game they enjoy. That's the point of a game isn't it?

I don't see the problem. People come, people go, the game goes on.

Also, it's summer, a historically slow time for these games. Only a relatively insignificant few have left (cancelled the account), numbers-wise. I believe most people are simply playing less while maintaining an account.

When winter drives folks back into the house at night instead of out INTO the night with a convertible and a significant other, numbers will pick up again.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2001, 10:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Westy MOL:
(I've not aded what I really think of people who admire and pretend to be a member of one arm of the Nazi war machine. A group who were supported by thier society and were bent on subjugating and enslaving those that they could)

I admire the real LW pilots who fought and died in WWII no less than I admire anyone else who fought and died in that war.  Given that their cause was wrong, unjust, and downright evil, they still gave their lives (or at least offered to give, that's what happens when you take up a plane or pick up a rifle in times of war) to their country.  I'd have admired them more than the Allied warriors had they defected from the facist regime, but that rarely, if ever, happened.  I'm sure not every man in the German forces was a Nazi or believed in the Nazi party, especially if the German army used conscripts (I don't know if they did or not.)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.