Author Topic: Dynamic GV Icons  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Dynamic GV Icons
« on: November 22, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »

There's been lots of discussion about GV icons and spotting them on the ground from the air (it's both too hard or too easy depending on how you look at it).  Finding the correct balance for GV icons using a static distance setting is difficult.  So, this got me wondering (and maybe it's been suggested before):

Why couldn't GV icon distance vary based on whether the vehicle is moving or stationary (or engine off, perhaps)?

For example, a stopped GV might have an icon range of 1000 yards, whereas a moving GV might have an icon of 3K.

Taking this one step further, how about also basing the icon distance on the terrain the GV is occupying (to simulate cover)?

For example, trees could reduce the icon distance by 500 yards.  Being in a barn (or building) could drop it by 1000 yards (making a GV virtually invisible from the air if stopped in a structure).  Perhaps sitting on concrete (in the open) could add 1000 yards to the stopped icon range.  Again, these are just numbers to illustrate the idea.

I understand this would likely involve a good deal of coding to do this, but making GV icons dynamic based on the "state" of the GV, could add a good deal of realism for both those on the ground and those in the air.

<S>

Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
Re: Dynamic GV Icons
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »
+1 on the concept.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 06:43:17 PM »
I dont really know how an icon is hidden in the FE. But I always imagine that the GV / AC has an "origin" point which when hidden from view turns off the icon.

If a Gv had three origin points (only one of which locates the Gv  in game) such that all three are required not to be hidden before the icon pops up then hiding (from aircraft) may be more effective than currently the case.
Ludere Vincere

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 06:57:47 PM »
Bases on what the coding is demonstrating now, I think it is based on range only.  There is nothing in the game the shows that the coding can be changed to what is being suggested.  Unfortunately, pick and range and that is the absolute.

Currently, it is 1500 yards (1.5k).  I'd like to see that reduced to at least 1k and that will still give a huge boost to the eye in the sky since the human eye would have trouble seeing something even as big as a tank at 1000 yards, while it was camouflaged with the surroundings.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 08:26:23 PM »
There's been lots of discussion about GV icons and spotting them on the ground from the air (it's both too hard or too easy depending on how you look at it).  Finding the correct balance for GV icons using a static distance setting is difficult.  So, this got me wondering (and maybe it's been suggested before):

Why couldn't GV icon distance vary based on whether the vehicle is moving or stationary (or engine off, perhaps)?

For example, a stopped GV might have an icon range of 1000 yards, whereas a moving GV might have an icon of 3K.

Taking this one step further, how about also basing the icon distance on the terrain the GV is occupying (to simulate cover)?

For example, trees could reduce the icon distance by 500 yards.  Being in a barn (or building) could drop it by 1000 yards (making a GV virtually invisible from the air if stopped in a structure).  Perhaps sitting on concrete (in the open) could add 1000 yards to the stopped icon range.  Again, these are just numbers to illustrate the idea.

I understand this would likely involve a good deal of coding to do this, but making GV icons dynamic based on the "state" of the GV, could add a good deal of realism for both those on the ground and those in the air.

<S>

I'm not sure changing the icons is going to do what you want it to.  I can see a GV from the air long before I see the icon.  The appear as little dots that look totally different from the rest of the scenery.  Atleast with my crappy laptop, maybe its different with better computers.

On a side note, I've noticed that the new modeled tanks blend in much better to the terrain from a ground perspective.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 08:54:53 PM »
Its different with better computers. I occationally get that gray-black dot and can't help but think "hey look, a free kill  :)"
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 11:42:52 PM »
Wouldn't  a tank moving through most terrains at a decent clip still kick up a lot of  dust? Making a moving vehicle easier to spot?
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 07:34:24 AM »
Wouldn't  a tank moving through most terrains at a decent clip still kick up a lot of  dust? Making a moving vehicle easier to spot?

Depends on terrain.  Moving through the forests of Europe would be a lot different than the deserts of North Africa.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 09:07:06 AM »
Yeah  I figured there would  be  less moving  in between trees but I assumed  even in europe moving through open feilds would still produce  dust, unless the fields were wet. Even the red clay here in GA  will take to the air  when its dry and heavy equipment is  rolling over it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:09:55 AM by Nathan60 »
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 11:22:50 AM »
Its different with better computers. I occationally get that gray-black dot and can't help but think "hey look, a free kill  :)"

Exploiting your own system's video driver bug?

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »

Its no exploit, I can spot a ground GV 3-4k away whether its moving or not, basically I see the same black/grey square - probably because all my graphics are turned off and have no choice in the matter.

JG 52

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 04:20:24 PM »

I get the black square only on occations, not like I'm trying to exploit something to get free kills or anything. But I'm not going to pass up a kill, especially if that black square is in possition thats threatening to me.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 06:30:52 AM »
For my graphics settings (1024, full range, 2 x AA) I can see a dot from an ac at (when zoomed) 3k.

But I do not know if that dot is a vehicle or a bit of ground achitecture unless its moving. As I get closer the icon pops up.

For me this seems about right. What is not right (IMO) is when a stationary vehicle under cover of trees is lit up by an icon as I do a fly by. When quite clearly I would never else have known it was there.
Ludere Vincere

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 08:11:01 PM »
The black squares are allowing GV'ers to see tanks through trees.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 09:29:22 PM »
If you want to buy me a system upgrade so I don't get those black dots, then be my guest.