Author Topic: PBY5-A  (Read 6773 times)

Offline Raptor05121

• Nickel Member
Re: PBY5-A
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2011, 03:53:32 PM »
PBY-5A needs to be added over the Emily because its American
InGame: xRaptorx of the ***Alchemists***

Quote from: dirtdart
To suggest things that do not meet this basic criteria is equal to masturbation.  It may feel good to you, will not produce any tangible results, and you may be embarrassed if you get caught. 

Offline SpencAce

• Copper Member
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2011, 04:13:05 PM »
tttthhhhaaaannnnkkk you.. finally someone gets it
**SSgt**

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2011, 04:50:31 PM »
From a practicality standpoint, I'd say that i might be because the PBY-5 would take something like one third the developer time to create that the Emily would.  :p
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2011, 05:09:06 PM »
Or, another way of putting it, why have the PBY-5 for that job and not the much faster and more capable H8K2 'Emily'?

its because the pby was amphibious.. come on guys.. it is a plane that can land on land and water.. i'll be honest, i mostly want it because i would have some mad fun doin stupid stuff with it offline :lol

Our "water" is just blue colored sticky land.  I don't know about you, but I'm content to land on green or grey stuff myself.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2011, 05:24:09 PM »
The PBY would not have any longer visibility than any other aircraft.  The Storch is only getting vehicle icons a bit further out.
It wouldn't? You also read minds? Equipping the the PBY with a pair of artillary field glasses (used from the mooring hatch in the bow?) gives it 5-10 times the range of the human eye. Programming the game to accomplish this shouldn't be particularly strenuous ... Just a matter or adjusting field of view and magnification. I presume the same basic process as the Storch, so Hi Tech definately knows HOW to do it.

That being the case, why would one take a PBY-5 instead of a P-47N, P-51D or Mosquito when scouting for carriers?
Many reasons ... 1st it's a  MUCH more stable observation platform from which to use sensitive LRV equipment, 2nd it's parasol configuration doesn't obscure 30% (or more) of the area under observation. 3rd - The radio picks up my favorite Mexican Mariachi Stations and even a Hot Salsa Station from Panama !  :cool:

I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2011, 05:35:01 PM »
So, what I am getting from all these PBY threads is that some people have decided they want the PBY and will come up with just about any reason, false or not, to justify why the PBY and only the PBY would be viable.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2011, 05:43:18 PM »
Maybe ??? It would probably have greater appeal to the "average" player ( who is statistically speaking going to BE an american ). But beyond that the plane has an intrinsic appeal ... Geeze, Give us the Canadian Version, The Australian Version, The Argentinian Version, I don't care ... It's seen service with as many countrys as the B17 and C-47 have (post WWII).

I'm not particularly familiar with the Emily, My impression of it is as a large 4 engine flying boat reminiscent of a Grumman.  As I recall it was the workhorse of the Japanese ? ARMY or NAVY ? not sure ... I seem to recall there was a SKY TRAIN version used exclusively for resupply that could carry over 50 troops ?  I reckon it would be a MUCH larger target than a catalina ... THAT the appeal ?  ;)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2011, 05:49:35 PM »
I'm not particularly familiar with the Emily, My impression of it is as a large 4 engine flying boat reminiscent of a Grumman.  As I recall it was the workhorse of the Japanese ? ARMY or NAVY ? not sure ... I seem to recall there was a SKY TRAIN version used exclusively for resupply that could carry over 50 troops ?  I reckon it would be a MUCH larger target than a catalina ... THAT the appeal ?  ;)
No, the appeal is that it could do 290mph, had an initial climb rate of over 1500ft/min, had armor for each crew position, armor for the engines and a completely protected fuel system, was armed with five 20mm Type 99 Model 1 cannons and a variable number of 7.7mm machine guns, could carry eight 250kg bombs or two 1600kg bombs or two torpedoes and had a 24 hour fuel endurance.

While it would be a larger target than any aircraft in AH other than the B-29, it would also be far, far more survivable than the PBY-5.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2011, 05:50:21 PM »
So, what I am getting from all these PBY threads is that some people have decided they want the PBY and will come up with just about any reason, false or not, to justify why the PBY and only the PBY would be viable.
Interesting statement ... lets see, just a little twist AND --- So, what I am getting from all these PBY threads is that some people have decided they want the _EMILY_ and will come up with just about any reason, false or not, to justify why the _EMILY_ and _NOT_ the PBY would be viable.

Hmmm ... I'd be MORE than happy to see it put to a vote in the arenas.  ;)

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2011, 05:58:13 PM »
While it would be a larger target than any aircraft in AH other than the B-29, it would also be far, far more survivable than the PBY-5.
Ahhhhh! Bigger is better !!! I see ! Someone want to suggest high tech add the Spruce Goose ? Come on? Anyone ....? Anyone ??? :x

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2011, 06:00:58 PM »
Interesting statement ... lets see, just a little twist AND --- So, what I am getting from all these PBY threads is that some people have decided they want the _EMILY_ and will come up with just about any reason, false or not, to justify why the _EMILY_ and _NOT_ the PBY would be viable.

Hmmm ... I'd be MORE than happy to see it put to a vote in the arenas.  ;)
No, having a chance of actually accomplishing its mission is what makes it more desirable.  That said, the developer time needed makes it prohibitive.  If they did do so though, at least it would be useful.

Ahhhhh! Bigger is better !!! I see ! Someone want to suggest high tech add the Spruce Goose ? Come on? Anyone ....? Anyone ??? :x
No, bigger has nothing to do with it.  Better has everything to do with it.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2011, 06:01:36 PM »

You gotta admit being able to drop broken beer bottles is a pretty good reason.  :D

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2011, 06:27:51 PM »
No, having a chance of actually accomplishing its mission is what makes it more desirable.  That said, the developer time needed makes it prohibitive.  If they did do so though, at least it would be useful.
No, bigger has nothing to do with it.  Better has everything to do with it.

PBY deserves its spot just like the B6N Kate, just because it couldn't defend itself doesn't mean it wasn't used majority of world war 2.
JG 52

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2011, 06:30:59 PM »
PBY deserves its spot just like the B6N Kate, just because it couldn't defend itself doesn't mean it wasn't used majority of world war 2.
B5N you mean.  The B5N is a requirement for scenarios.  You cannot do them without it.  The PBY-5 may not ever even be used in a scenario because to do so entails all the other participants to pretty much be sitting in the tower for hours until the PBY-5 succeeds.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2011, 06:33:14 PM »
B5N you mean.  The B5N is a requirement for scenarios.  You cannot do them without it.  The PBY-5 may not ever even be used in a scenario because to do so entails all the other participants to pretty much be sitting in the tower for hours until the PBY-5 succeeds.

PBY is capable of scouting for carriers, reporting back - staying out of range of enemy aircraft and torpedoing carriers.
How is this not viable for a scenario?
JG 52