Author Topic: PBY5-A  (Read 6938 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: PBY5-A
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2011, 09:57:58 AM »
It could re-supply the submarines at night Karnak. :lol
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2011, 10:00:06 AM »
Where are you guys getting that it would be a "goon" that can land on water?  In no way would any flying boat be a "goon".  Not a single one of them dropped paratroopers.
PBYs dropped Medical Supplies and Radios / Parts on occassion, I think maybe Guns and Ammo to Philipino insurgents  ... I suspect they were used to drop infiltration teams too. But they were never Troop Transports. I suppose the "Goon" is the closest aircraft to a PBY that is NOW in service in AH.  :aok
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »
It could re-supply the submarines at night Karnak. :lol
Which has what to do with dropping paratroopers?

PBYs dropped Medical Supplies and Radios / Parts on occassion, I think maybe Guns and Ammo to Philipino insurgents  ... I suspect they were used to drop infiltration teams too. But they were never Troop Transports. I suppose the "Goon" is the closest aircraft to a PBY that is NOW in service in AH.  :aok
So, no evidence of paratroopers then?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2011, 11:44:08 AM »
I was poking more fun at this guy's complete inability to state a case for this aircraft. He's been grabbing at all sorts of stuff it did in the war which has been generally acknowledged but hasn't come up with any explanation of how any of that might be implemented into this game beyond that it'd be cool. Hell I could get any 8 year old to do that.

He's even attempting to take personal shots at me which I find beyond laughable.

But you are correct, there would be no paratroopers.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline SpencAce

• Copper Member
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2011, 11:53:37 AM »
Gotta love you guys. The three of you newbs got less than 2 years experience in this game added together.

actually drano.. i alone have 5 years of experience :furious
**SSgt**

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2011, 12:33:07 PM »
Gotta love you guys. The three of you newbs got less than 2 years experience in this game added together.

Interesting, I know I am not on this list, but just how exactly do you find the PBY so useless? what reason was the storch added then?

I honestly see no viable reason for the observation class, I was simply poking fun at Karnak whose hell bent on not having the PBY in game, however
when it comes to a british plane its almost required to be put in game.

Wishlists are ment to be fun "Wishful" postings, same as someone had for the submarine - there is absolutely no reason to add it in the game, however it
has almost a cult like following, sure add a ship that does 21 knots on surface and 9 underwater, you still can't catch a CV doing 32 knots.
JG 52

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2011, 01:30:19 PM »
Wishlists are ment to be fun "Wishful" postings
And for the discussion of the pros and cons of said wishes.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2011, 01:36:31 PM »
And for the discussion of the pros and cons of said wishes.

How is there going to be an argument if someone cannot post pros and cons? dissecting the plane for its role is what makes threads interesting,
For example I agree in the statement the PBY would be useless in Aces high - however if Observation classes were added, it would serve useful purposes.

Until those scenarios and purposes get added (not likely overall) the PBY would simply be something flown in one or two scenarios by some unlucky fellow that can't defend himself and fly extremely slow.

Sure I wouldn't mind the PBY added, long as its down on the list around #210 things before that need to be done first :D
JG 52

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2011, 01:40:38 PM »
Sure I wouldn't mind the PBY added, long as its down on the list around #210 things before that need to be done first :D
Nor I.  I probably wouldn't even put it nearly that far down on the list.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SpencAce

• Copper Member
« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2011, 01:02:34 PM »
legit, y don't u guys think that it would be usefull.  i mean on the wish list i am seeing all this crap that we basically have already, the 410 is requested many times and it is pretty much just a 110, but bigger...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 01:22:50 PM by SpencAce »
**SSgt**

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »
legit, y don't u guys think that it would be usefull.
Because it wouldn't be survivable, and the scouting for the fleet suggestion is better handled by any other long ranged aircraft that is already in the game due to speed.

1) Does it have use in the MA?  No.
2) Does it have use in scenarios?  Very little.

Some people would use it because they fancy a spin in it once in a while, but it would have very light usage.  PBY fans hand waive away the similar aircraft, Sunderland and Emily, that might have a fighting chance in the MA because they are not the PBY and only the PBY, despite its gross inferiority, will do for them.

i mean on the wish list i am seeing all this crap that we basically have already, the 410 is requested many times and it is pretty much just a 110, but bigger...
Differences in performance are of substantially more interest when comparing fighters than they are in bombers.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2011, 03:09:37 PM »
legit, y don't u guys think that it would be usefull.  i mean on the wish list i am seeing all this crap that we basically have already, the 410 is requested many times and it is pretty much just a 110, but bigger...

It's far from a 110, which does 350mph with a pair of 30s and 20s for defense it brings an extra 7.9 in the back - its able to out turn a few planes and defend itself, PBY on the other hand does 125 cruise and something like 180mph? with a pair of 50s and a 30 cal in the nose.

Huge difference in performance and survivability, one is able to defend itself somewhat, the other cannot.

Secondly the PBY is a maritime scout, although it was able to carry torpedoes or bombs if 1 plane is on CAP then the PBY is toast, it can't even run away from any fighter whether its prewar or not, although it does carry ords it does not have a bombardier position so basically its almost worthless in a dive bombing role.
JG 52

Offline SpencAce

• Copper Member
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2011, 04:50:06 PM »
It's far from a 110, which does 350mph with a pair of 30s and 20s for defense it brings an extra 7.9 in the back - its able to out turn a few planes and defend itself, PBY on the other hand does 125 cruise and something like 180mph? with a pair of 50s and a 30 cal in the nose.

Huge difference in performance and survivability, one is able to defend itself somewhat, the other cannot.

Secondly the PBY is a maritime scout, although it was able to carry torpedoes or bombs if 1 plane is on CAP then the PBY is toast, it can't even run away from any fighter whether its prewar or not, although it does carry ords it does not have a bombardier position so basically its almost worthless in a dive bombing role.

what??? i wasn't comparing a 410 to a pby, i was comparing a 410 to a 110, cause a 410 and a 110 are pretty much the same thing
**SSgt**

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2011, 04:56:49 PM »
what??? i wasn't comparing a 410 to a pby, i was comparing a 410 to a 110, cause a 410 and a 110 are pretty much the same thing

Far difference planes, performance and speed. What source do you have shows they are the same?
JG 52

Offline SpencAce

• Copper Member
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
google or yahoo image, that alone could show how they look extremely alike. :lol
**SSgt**