Author Topic: PBY5-A  (Read 6944 times)

Offline FBCrabby

• Nickel Member
      • AHFreebirds.com
Re: PBY5-A
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2011, 05:45:51 PM »
and see? that is the argument that arose one our squad channel... First we get the storch, the PBY cannot be far behind... right?

but the question is - from a port would the PBY take off from the indestructable? or be water-bourne like a PT boat? But then what? would the PBY drop it's water skids? our will it keep it? My Brain hurts with questions  :bhead :bhead
AH-Freebirds.com - FB$ - Proud Squadron Of Aces High II

Actively Recruiting! - Join FB$ Today!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2011, 05:51:17 PM »
Drop its floats?!?  What sort of question is that?  Of course not.  The wing tip floats fold up to cap the wings.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2011, 11:27:36 AM »
ports only have a vh hangar.  no airplane hangar there.  you also wishing for an airplane hangar to be added?

semp

Hmmm... I've seen ports on some maps that have full airfields.  I don't remember which ones but they do.  We also have fields on coastlines that have no shore batteries and that is another story. :D

All the Best...

Jay
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2011, 07:00:20 PM »
ya, of course it would have troops, it could be the only even slighty defended troop carrying plane in the game.. and it could be usful for a quick defence from a port against a carrier

Inre: Troops ... A 10 man squad wouldn't be realistic at all ... BUT ... how about a Commando Squad? 3 guys with the capability of covertly blowing things up on a base ? I'll start another topic on this so as not to pollute this thread, you can reply there. :D

I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline DemonFox

• Copper Member
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2011, 07:16:53 AM »
Bah humbug! I want the PBY-5A! Torps, bombs, and all! Even the ability to spot like our new Storch!

Offline Raptor05121

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »
x2 for the PBY-5A
InGame: xRaptorx of the ***Alchemists***

Quote from: dirtdart
To suggest things that do not meet this basic criteria is equal to masturbation.  It may feel good to you, will not produce any tangible results, and you may be embarrassed if you get caught. 

Offline SpencAce

• Copper Member
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2011, 07:31:22 PM »
ya seriously,, now that the storch is getting added as a plane that has a longer range for spoting gv's, why not make the pby have the same ability but it would also be amphibious and be able to carry troopls and supplys,,, basicly it would be like a c-47, storch, bomber with low number of bombs, and a an amphibious plane all put into 1... holy crap,, that sounds scary fun  :O :x :lol :noid :banana: :banana: :banana:
**SSgt**

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2011, 07:39:42 PM »
After seeing that the storch is being added, I honestly could see this wish becoming a reality

I still think its a silly idea :D

I guess it would depend on if theres any demand in the "scouting" department.  The storch would certainly help towards proving/disproving that concept.

Which makes me wonder... :noid

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2011, 03:27:35 PM »
basicly it would be like a c-47,

No it wouldn't.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
No it wouldn't.

Gotta agree ... It's NOT a C-47. It might be used for resupply, it had a fairly usefull payload. Being able to resupply a CV / Task Force might add an interesting element to amphibious operations. But delivering / droping more than 3 troops wouldn't be realistic at all. Giving it LONG RANGE vision as seems to be the plan for the Storch might make it a popular CV hunter ?  :aok

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2011, 09:38:44 AM »
Gotta agree ... It's NOT a C-47. It might be used for resupply, it had a fairly usefull payload. Being able to resupply a CV / Task Force might add an interesting element to amphibious operations. But delivering / droping more than 3 troops wouldn't be realistic at all. Giving it LONG RANGE vision as seems to be the plan for the Storch might make it a popular CV hunter ?  :aok

Resupply--a task force? OK walk me through this. You have a plane that's a big lumbering elephant that will barely break a hundred miles an hour with a tailwind that we generally don't have. It has little defensive armament. No armor. It's just big. It's somehow gonna make it in to supply a task force that's obviously under attack or else it wouldn't need resupply. How's this happening? Add a cloaking device?

Long range vision? Didn't we just get that pretty much removed from the GVs an update or so ago? Why take it from them and give it to a plane? You can hunt a Task group with a fighter and cover more ground faster and have some ability to live through the ordeal. Or not. YMMV

For the 163rd time I gotta say--this plane has no place in this game. It's not that I don't like the PBY. I'm just trying to be objective here. Yes there were several squadrons of them in the war. Yes it had a critical role in the areas in which it operated. But those areas--the maritime areas--are of secondary importance in this game. Almost an afterthought really. It's not a naval ship game. It's a cool looking bird sure. But it's a complex shaped one that I'm sure would be a royal pita for the gang down at HTC to model. That said I'd rather they spend their clock cycles with something we'd all likely use at least occasionally. This bird would be the hangar queen of all hangar queens. Not even scenario play worthy.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »
a plane that's a big lumbering elephant  --- It's somehow gonna make it in to supply a task force that's obviously under attack or else it wouldn't need resupply. How's this happening

A B24 is an Elephant. The PBY is very gracefull and is best compared to a Swan. You seem to think that CVs are constantly attacked until sunk (Not). If properly handled and vigorously defended, attacks tend to come in waves that may require considerable time to arrive if the Fighter/Bomber Hangers are put down OR a Port / GV base  is under attack ... Usually a reasonable window for resupply exists.

Long range vision? Didn't we just get that pretty much removed from the GVs an update or so ago? Why take it from them and give it to a plane? You can hunt a Task group with a fighter and cover more ground faster and have some ability to live through the ordeal. Or not. YMMV

LRV is to be a NEW feature of the STORCH Observation Bird recently announced. Giving it to a Seaplane for Naval observation seems to be an obvious evolution. It would enable the PBY to detect and/or shadow a task group without drawing fire from puffy ack.  Carrier attacks often take place in the game without notice which just isn't realistic (pearl harbor being a notable exception). This is NICE for the attackers, but ? losing a port you never knew was under attack is somewhat frustrating.  :(

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2011, 01:06:08 PM »
Yes there were several squadrons of them in the war. Yes it had a critical role in the areas in which it operated.  But those areas--the maritime areas--are of secondary importance in this game. Almost an afterthought really. It's not a naval ship game.

It's NOT? We just forget about the war in the pacific ??? (!) ... That war was fought FROM SHIPS ... The PBY was a CRITICAL asset during the dark days when we were LOSING to the Japanese ... It was a MAJOR player in several engagements, saved a LOT of Pilots, and the units that flew it were heavily cited for Efficiency & Valor.

It's a cool looking bird sure. But it's a complex shaped one that I'm sure would be a royal pita for the gang down at HTC to model.

I thought they LIVED for such challenges ? To what else do we owe the Rata (I-16), SdKfz 251, and The PT Boat?   :lol

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2011, 01:24:15 PM »
Hate to say it EVZ but Drano is absolutely correct.  There is no real place for the PBY in AH.  Don't get me wrong, I am a big champion of this plane but I also don't see it being a viable plane for AH.  There are other planes currently in game that do the job of the PBY much better than the Catalina could ever do. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2011, 03:57:22 PM »
I also don't see it being a viable plane for AH.  There are other planes currently in game that do the job of the PBY much better than the Catalina could ever do. 

Sure ... and there are OTHER planes that do the same thing the Storch does MUCH better (faster, armed, etc) ... But the Game Experience goes BEYOND THAT ... AND - just to subvert the obvious argument that the Storch is STOL and will be available from Vehicle bases ... The PBY is AMPHIBIOUS and could function from Ports and Task Group areas.

:D