Author Topic: Piper J-4 Cub  (Read 1669 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: Piper J-4 Cub
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 08:45:41 PM »
I can fly my plane for almost the same price as the cub rents for and I go twice as fast.

Yeah but you know how fun the cub is.  :D

(never flown one myself though)
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 08:51:40 PM »
Yes I do  :D It really is a blast. I like the cub more than the L4- The L4 has a metal prop and is not easy to hand prop. The cubs prop is wooden and usually starts on the first yank.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 08:58:58 PM »
Yes I do  :D It really is a blast. I like the cub more than the L4- The L4 has a metal prop and is not easy to hand prop. The cubs prop is wooden and usually starts on the first yank.

Why is metal prop harder to hand prop? Does the L-4 have a bigger engine or something?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:03:14 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 09:09:04 PM »
Why is metal prop harder to hand prop? Does the L-4 have a bigger engine or something?
same engine. The Metal prop will cut your hand if you're not wearing gloves.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 09:20:01 PM »
same engine. The Metal prop will cut your hand if you're not wearing gloves.

Why?

I obviously never had to hand prop anything.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »
Why?

I obviously never had to hand prop anything.

Propellers have sharp edges?

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
the paint has come off the leading edge of the propeller and it isnt perfectly smooth.....its not jagged, but it will cut you pretty good if you pull it through to prop it.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 09:39:18 PM »
The cub comes alive pretty easy (This actually wasnt my first time propping, I had done it about 15 seconds prior and my instructor killed the engine so I could do it again and get it on video.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2QCzYNnML0&feature=channel_video_title

Offline MAINER

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 07:52:28 AM »
He's a young kid whose working on his post count, every few days expect a new post about something we don't need or won't be added any time soon.

Are you saying that i'm lying? So what if i'm a young kid. I have 11 hours in a J-3 Cub, 3 hours in a Harvard MK.4 and 2 hours in a WACO UBF-2 and i am working on my Private Pilots License. I could really care less about my post count. I don't need to prove myself to you. I thought people would be glad that more young people are joining the game.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:26:40 AM by MAINER »
Are those our bombers?-famous last words

Member of the congregation of The church of David Wales

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 08:46:15 AM »
Are you saying that i'm lying? So what if i'm a young kid. I have 11 hours in a J-3 Cub, 3 hours in a Harvard MK.4 and 2 hours in a WACO UBF-2 and i am working on my Private Pilots License. I could really care less about my post count. I don't need to prove myself to you. I thought people would be glad that more young people are joining the game.

You misread my comment as it was directed to 1Nicolas, in response to why we needed the Piper cub which after getting the storch will hopefully be the only observation plane we get for a very long time (hopefully).

JG 52

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 10:07:23 AM »
Doesn't matter if youre a young kid or not. A cub will not do 120mph in level flight.

Offline MAINER

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 10:22:04 AM »
You misread my comment as it was directed to 1Nicolas, in response to why we needed the Piper cub which after getting the storch will hopefully be the only observation plane we get for a very long time (hopefully).

Sorry it sounded like that was directed to me i hope you accept my apology  :salute

Offline MAINER

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »
Doesn't matter if youre a young kid or not. A cub will not do 120mph in level flight.

It depends on what kind of J-3 you have. If you have a J-3C it would have a Continental A-series flat four. There were 65 and 85hp versions. The one I fly is an 85 an in level flight we have hit 110-115mph. But we cruise around 80. There were also the J-3F that had a Franklin flat four engine. I think a brand new J-3 85hp single pilot and low fuel could hit 120 but you would never be doing that in a combat situation in an L-4 with an observer and full fuel.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 11:13:20 AM »
Sorry it sounded like that was directed to me i hope you accept my apology  :salute

LOL not a problem I completely understand <S>!
JG 52

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 11:26:46 AM »
I have flown all the L- birds, and owned a 1943 J-3, admitted mine had the 65hp, and the only way I could get it anywhere near the red line was coming out of a loop, or in a dive.  Now I did fly a Supercruiser that was a solid 110 cruise.  The Taylorcraft was the fastest of all L-birds, due to it's laminar flow type of wing, it was a fun plane to fly just never enjoyed landing it.  One mph over and you float, 1 mph under and you drop like a rock.  The Aeronica champ was a good plane a knot or 2 faster than the J-3 but it was hard to get in because of how the door is hinged, and it had olio strut gears and were soft.  I have flown at least 10 different J-3 and never have see one go above the 85-90 mph range.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.