Author Topic: Night...  (Read 1967 times)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Night...
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »
LIke the dark? Set up a custom arena and have at it with your 4 buddies.

Just so people can see for themselves...

I will create a custom nighttime arena on 12/15 (Thursday) from 19:30~22:00 Central Time. We can fly and GV all you want with anything in the inventory for free.  I'll be using my small 64-mile terrain "Canyon", which is built for small two-sided battles.  While I'm in there, I'll be on vox 250 so anyone can tune in to talk. We can also talk about and play with settings if anyone is interested.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2011, 09:40:02 AM »
So how'd it go? Full house?
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2011, 10:37:43 AM »
So how'd it go? Full house?

I'll let you know once it's held...tonight.  ;-)
My Current Rig:

Offline chipr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2011, 11:15:23 AM »
Bring back night time flying. Those who use the gamma trick are not playing for the realism anyway.
With malice towards some

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2011, 11:44:59 AM »
I'm not sure I know which night we are talking about. When did night leave the arena? When I 1st started playing <2004> there was a sorta quasi night that would roll around twice a day I think. I did not care for that much.

That is nothing like the night that we get around Christmas Eve, coming up shortly, where it is very dark but crisp and clear. I think that is very cool and would love to have that for an hour or 2 a day.

Did they used to run Christmas Eve type night in the arenas daily?
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2011, 12:07:44 PM »
Did they used to run Christmas Eve type night in the arenas daily?

Yes.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2011, 03:47:09 PM »
and you seem to have been wrong across a number of topics of late....might leave that sorta thing to google or the folks who know something about it. :neener:

You keep count?  :D
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2011, 04:00:05 PM »
Why don't we test this. Let's organize an MA type even in a custom arena that will have continues night and we'll see the number of people that show up.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2011, 04:33:27 PM »
Why don't we test this. Let's organize an MA type even in a custom arena that will have continues night and we'll see the number of people that show up.

Guess you haven't read this whole thread  ;)
I posted this quote earlier today to quote what I posted yesterday afternoon.

LIke the dark? Set up a custom arena and have at it with your 4 buddies.

I will create a custom nighttime arena on 12/15 (Thursday) from 19:30~22:00 Central Time. We can fly and GV all you want with anything in the inventory for free.  I'll be using my small 64-mile terrain "Canyon", which is built for small two-sided battles.  While I'm in there, I'll be on vox 250 so anyone can tune in to talk. We can also talk about and play with settings if anyone is interested.
My Current Rig:

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »
Guess you haven't read this whole thread  ;)
I posted this quote earlier today to quote what I posted yesterday afternoon.

I meant something official supported by HTC with announcements in the normal MA and home page. The test will be unsuccessful if there are very few people doing it, and not too many people read this thread.

I should have elaborated more on the word "organized".

Since you are a CM can you make arena wide announcements to let everyone know that your arena is up? If so that should do the trick. 
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2011, 05:13:07 PM »
If they are gonna try some reduced icon ranges, why not bring back night time.
If its good enough to keep GV'ers happy why not bring it back for the players who enjoyed the night hunting..

( why are there not as many people playing AH as there used to be?)

Recently I noticed the twilight/dim hours between sunset and sunrise in the MA was a little longer than usual, making things also a little darker and for longer than usual (I don't know if it's still this way or if it was reverted about a week or two ago)...  I liked it, but I heard numerous "why are the lights out?"  "when did it get so dark?" "how do you turn the light on?" comments in country and on squad VOX.  I think it's a can of worms, something we would love to have if only half of us didn't hate it.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2011, 06:27:22 PM »
Since you are a CM can you make arena wide announcements to let everyone know that your arena is up? If so that should do the trick. 

I'll pop into the MA and go on 200 and country, but this isn't what the normal "All-arena CM announcement" is for.
My Current Rig:

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »
I meant something official supported by HTC with announcements in the normal MA and home page. The test will be unsuccessful if there are very few people doing it, and not too many people read this thread.

I should have elaborated more on the word "organized".

There was a big thread awhile back where a number of players were pushing to bring night back. It got pretty heated and I think it was Hitech who stepped in and said that "the majority of the people playing when night came around logged off. There will be no more night, end of discussion"

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2011, 06:51:07 PM »
There was a big thread awhile back where a number of players were pushing to bring night back. It got pretty heated and I think it was Hitech who stepped in and said that "the majority of the people playing when night came around logged off. There will be no more night, end of discussion"

Oh good, so we can end this discussion as well.   :devil

[/thread]
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2011, 07:24:13 PM »
Bring back night so I can exploit it with a gamma adjust and get easy kills!

-1 to this
Also, daylight fighters didn't fight at night in WWII, there is no realism reasin to this.

For the pple that weren't there, The MA lost about half its players when night was enabled. 30% loged, the rest waited in the tower, the others adjusted their gamma.

Not that I'm advocating night, but the Germans did use some day fighters at night.  FW-190s using Wilde Sau (Wild Boar)
tactics is one notable example.

http://www.gyges.dk/Wilde%20&%20Zahme%20Sau.htm

80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars