Author Topic: Collision Model  (Read 22790 times)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: Collision Model
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2011, 11:55:12 PM »
The new problem I see cropping up in the myriad of explanations that may be confusing is "you need to avoid the collision."

Sometimes you can't. IE: sitting on the runway.

However:
Very simply.

Plane coming down at an angle. He pulls up at the last second just flying over top of you. Your computer does not see the pull up until slightly later and renders the plane flying threw you. Your computer detects the collision and applies damage to you.

HiTech

covers this situation.

Ever see what appears to be a plane fling under ground and popping back up? Do you understand that?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2011, 04:50:42 AM »
The new problem I see cropping up in the myriad of explanations that may be confusing is "you need to avoid the collision."

Sometimes you can't. IE: sitting on the runway.

However:
covers this situation.

Ever see what appears to be a plane fling under ground and popping back up? Do you understand that?

wrongway

Sadly, this is the problem with any MMPG via the Internet. You have to have predictive modeling so when there are dropped packets, there is some resolution of where a moving object might be if the information doesn't arrive.

The Internet is the limiting factor that can't be avoided.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2011, 06:25:28 AM »
yup, so if i have a slow computer and internet i would most certainly not be able to avoid the collision sitting on runway...i prob need to learn new fast reflexes now... ESC then end sortie.. have to do it under a sec

The speed of a connection, nor the speed of the computer has nothing to do with it.  'Lag' in this context is simply due to the distance/time involved with getting one packet from one location to another.  The speed of the last mile (your connection) is all but irrelevant in the overall path.

Collisions are 'what you see is what you get'.  It cannot be any more simpler than that.  It is what your computer detects.  Nothing else matters.  To do anything else would remove control of 'collisions' from your computer and give it to someone else.

Sadly, this is the problem with any MMPG via the Internet. You have to have predictive modeling so when there are dropped packets, there is some resolution of where a moving object might be if the information doesn't arrive.

The Internet is the limiting factor that can't be avoided.

Actually when you see a plane flying underground it is due to the offset of where you computer sees it and where it actually is on the computer of the player flying that plane.  The pilot flying that plane does not go underground on his/her computer, but the time differential between your computer and his/her computer puts his/her plane in a different location on your computer, and it could be underground.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:30:29 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2011, 06:35:44 AM »
yup, so if i have a slow computer and internet i would most certainly not be able to avoid the collision sitting on runway...i prob need to learn new fast reflexes now... ESC then end sortie.. have to do it under a sec

This is completely wrong. The slower connection is just as likely to avoid the collision as the faster connection. Lag just means you don't see the same aircraft positions, it does not determine who benefits from it.

Most complaints about the collision model involve some degree of misunderstanding.  :D

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2011, 06:54:58 AM »

Collisions are 'what you see is what you get'.  It cannot be any more simpler than that.  It is what your computer detects.  Nothing else matters.  To do anything else would remove control of 'collisions' from your computer and give it to someone else.

I like how it works and suspect most do (even without doing a poll) also as long as they understand how it works.

Actually when you see a plane flying underground it is due to the offset of where you computer sees it and where it actually is on the computer of the player flying that plane.  The pilot flying that plane does not go underground on his/her computer, but the time differential between your computer and his/her computer puts his/her plane in a different location on your computer, and it could be underground.

That's kind of what was in my head, but not stated well...   :rock
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2011, 07:53:24 AM »
The speed of a connection, nor the speed of the computer has nothing to do with it.  'Lag' in this context is simply due to the distance/time involved with getting one packet from one location to another.  The speed of the last mile (your connection) is all but irrelevant in the overall path.

so what i see is a a plane colliding into me and only i get the msg sitting stationary on runway, very simple indeed.
DES 354th FG
The men dying out there have no choice... i have..i cannot order them into battle... i can perhaps lead them...Help them....Die with them
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2011, 08:26:24 AM »
so what i see is a a plane colliding into me and only i get the msg sitting stationary on runway, very simple indeed.

yes, very simple.

after all the explanations in this thread, you still don't understand that from his perspective, he never hit you???

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2011, 08:31:44 AM »
yes, very simple.

after all the explanations in this thread, you still don't understand that from his perspective, he never hit you???

of cos i understand but from my perspective he did hit me stationary and only i got msg... i understand doesn't mean i have to be happy with it..
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:34:13 AM by des506 »
DES 354th FG
The men dying out there have no choice... i have..i cannot order them into battle... i can perhaps lead them...Help them....Die with them
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2011, 08:33:20 AM »
of cos i understand it... doesn't mean i have to happy with it..

I forget, what was your solution then?
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2011, 08:34:45 AM »
I forget, what was your solution then?

both planes get the damage
DES 354th FG
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2011, 08:38:08 AM »
both planes get the damage

thats right.. so the guy who pulled up a hundred feet above you sitting on the runway, flew over you.. should take damage too.. you don't see how much sense that doesn't make?

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2011, 08:40:27 AM »
thats right.. so the guy who pulled up a hundred feet above you sitting on the runway, flew over you.. should take damage too.. you don't see how much sense that doesn't make?

it wasn't at 100 feet...if he was at 100 feet... he wouldn't have hit me..
DES 354th FG
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2011, 08:42:44 AM »
Summa sumarum:
Des is complaining about getting killed by a collision that he did see on his screen and is asking to change it so that he get's killed by collisions that aren't even happening on his screen at all. The policy of the bigger evil, so to say.

I think we can simply stop arguing at this point.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2011, 08:43:13 AM »
How can this thread not be locked yet? Des506 doesn't like the collision model, but cannot come up with a better solution - because there really isn't one. You don't have to like it, but it is the way it is. It's pointless to continue arguing, but please do...it's entertaining.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2011, 08:44:35 AM »
it wasn't at 100 feet...if he was at 100 feet... he wouldn't have hit me..

On HIS computer he completely missed you.

So, lets reverse the pilots.  You are the one flying and the other guy is on the runway.  You pull up at the last second and avoid him, but on his computer, due to the distance/time element, he sees you hit him and so he dies.  Well now, out of the blue, after you have passed him, you explode.

Your next venture to the bulletin board will be to yell about how you avoided the collision and yet died anyway.  Would that be a fair statement?

Right now you have absolute control over whether or not you collide with someone.  Using your solution, you give control to another player and take it away from you.  There is no way you will convince anyone you would be happy with that.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:48:33 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com