Author Topic: Collision Model  (Read 22807 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Collision Model
« Reply #255 on: January 01, 2012, 03:30:18 AM »
I totally understand, but with my experience with collisions in game that I have caused I saw it my computer, I caused the collision my computer detected it, whether or not the other players did is irrelevant to me.  I am trying to assign fault, who caused it.  I want at fault plane to go down.  How to do it I don't know, so the player that detected(collidee) the collision I want to go down because I feel most of the time they are at fault. The only way to make sure that happens is for both to go down, but you guys are swaying me away from my stand on that for the most part.  Understand?  

Edit: I'm not trying to say it doesn't work, look at all my threads my beef is I want the at fault plane to go down.  The collision model works well enough for me to say the guy who detects is the guy at fault, even though I know that is not always the case.

The game would be better for me if both planes went down if a collision is detected by whoever, but the game will probably not be better for most others if that was the case. 

The problem I have is how do you get an oil hit when you collide with someone or a damaged gun?  Just stupid to me, I want them to go down.  Harsher concequences I hope would help with amount collisions.

But how can it be his fault if he does not see the collision on his end?

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #256 on: January 01, 2012, 06:17:31 AM »
Maybe it would be easier to understand if they used the correct words.
A dose of correct words like for instance, does  :banana:  :P
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #257 on: January 01, 2012, 06:23:53 AM »
What I think he is getting at is pretty much an example I gave earlier. 2 planes in close combat, 1 sees the  other guy ram, the other sees a near miss.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #258 on: January 01, 2012, 09:15:03 AM »
I totally understand, but with my experience with collisions in game that I have caused I saw it my computer, I caused the collision my computer detected it, whether or not the other players did is irrelevant to me.  I am trying to assign fault, who caused it.  I want at fault plane to go down.  How to do it I don't know, so the player that detected(collidee) the collision I want to go down because I feel most of the time they are at fault. The only way to make sure that happens is for both to go down, but you guys are swaying me away from my stand on that for the most part.  Understand?  

Edit: I'm not trying to say it doesn't work, look at all my threads my beef is I want the at fault plane to go down.  The collision model works well enough for me to say the guy who detects is the guy at fault, even though I know that is not always the case.

The game would be better for me if both planes went down if a collision is detected by whoever, but the game will probably not be better for most others if that was the case. 

The problem I have is how do you get an oil hit when you collide with someone or a damaged gun?  Just stupid to me, I want them to go down.  Harsher concequences I hope would help with amount collisions.

Oh we have that already! If you see/your computer detects a collision, IT'S YOUR FAULT! You didn't avoid it there for you take damage. Whats Skuzzy say....

And BOING!!!!  another wish granted.  WOOT!

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #259 on: January 01, 2012, 04:44:54 PM »
Oh we have that already! If you see/your computer detects a collision, IT'S YOUR FAULT! You didn't avoid it there for you take damage. Whats Skuzzy say....

So he flies away with damaged oil?  Not good enough for me.
Hopper

JG/11

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #260 on: January 01, 2012, 04:49:11 PM »

I know its not perfect but if you read it again grizz I explain that I think the at fault plane detects the collision the majority of the time, based on the collisions I have seen in game.  So a minority of the time I get screwed, majority I'm happy.
Hopper

JG/11

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #261 on: January 01, 2012, 04:51:01 PM »
wow this blame culture is alot more endemic than I'd realised.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #262 on: January 01, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »
I know its not perfect but if you read it again grizz I explain that I think the at fault plane detects the collision the majority of the time, based on the collisions I have seen in game.  So a minority of the time I get screwed, majority I'm happy.
So with that, you should be happy with the current modeling.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #263 on: January 01, 2012, 07:00:31 PM »
So he flies away with damaged oil?  Not good enough for me.

he flies away with an oil leak because before you slammed into him you shot a hole in his oil line, it had nothing to do with a collision because from his computer there was none. Your computer detected the collision, so you go down.

I know its not perfect but if you read it again grizz I explain that I think the at fault plane detects the collision the majority of the time, based on the collisions I have seen in game.  So a minority of the time I get screwed, majority I'm happy.

There is NO FAULT in volved in the equation. It is simply the detection on each computer.

Senario...

Your on the runway and your engine is starting. As you do a quick glance around you see an LA diving on you. BANG! your in the tower and the system message says you have collided, and a second one that says so and so has killed you. Mean while, an LA driver from the other side of the world is vulching a field and see a plane spawn in and start his engine. He dives in and at 300 out starts firer and pulls out at the last second just missing the plane on the runway. As he starts his zoom up, he sees a system message you killed Hopper, and another saying Hopper collided with you.

It's not your fault, because you were just sitting on the runway, but your computer detected a collision so you die.

It's not his fault as all he did was shoot you up and ALMOST run into you.

If the the tables were turned and things were set like you want them, would you be happy to have your LA blow up on your zoom out and you end up in the tower?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 07:02:24 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #264 on: January 01, 2012, 08:35:52 PM »
So with that, you should be happy with the current modeling.

Nope I want the plane to go down, at present it doesn't always.
Hopper

JG/11

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #265 on: January 01, 2012, 08:44:31 PM »
he flies away with an oil leak because before you slammed into him you shot a hole in his oil line, it had nothing to do with a collision because from his computer there was none. Your computer detected the collision, so you go down.

There is NO FAULT in volved in the equation. It is simply the detection on each computer.

Senario...

Your on the runway and your engine is starting. As you do a quick glance around you see an LA diving on you. BANG! your in the tower and the system message says you have collided, and a second one that says so and so has killed you. Mean while, an LA driver from the other side of the world is vulching a field and see a plane spawn in and start his engine. He dives in and at 300 out starts firer and pulls out at the last second just missing the plane on the runway. As he starts his zoom up, he sees a system message you killed Hopper, and another saying Hopper collided with you.

It's not your fault, because you were just sitting on the runway, but your computer detected a collision so you die.

It's not his fault as all he did was shoot you up and ALMOST run into you.

If the the tables were turned and things were set like you want them, would you be happy to have your LA blow up on your zoom out and you end up in the tower?

I totally understand Fugi and see your point, but this scenerio doesn't happen to me very often.  The scenerio were a pony dives in on me while I'm turn fighting on the deck rams me and gets oil damage, or a damaged gun, or loses an elevator happens to me every day. 

So yes I would be happy if that is they way it worked because the scenerio that happens more often would be set right.
Hopper

JG/11

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #266 on: January 01, 2012, 08:46:27 PM »
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #267 on: January 02, 2012, 07:08:50 PM »

OK TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER

A PIECE OF ADVICE BUD

STAY CLEAR OF OTHER AIRCRAFT AND YOU WONT COLLIDE

SIMPLE SOLUTION EH :)

I think this post says it all :)  :rock
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #268 on: January 03, 2012, 09:10:36 AM »
The new collision model will be implemented...

as soon as Skuzzy has mastered controlling interwebz lag.

That is all, carry on   :salute
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #269 on: January 03, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »
The amount of mental thickness displayed in this thread is epic.

It's very simple ...

If the 3D area of the plane/vehicle that YOU are in control of, on YOUR computer, DOES intersect with the 3d area of another "collideable" object ... YOU HAVE COLLIDED.

If the 3D area of the plane/vehicle that YOU are in control of, on YOUR computer, DOES NOT intersect with the 3d area of another "collideable" object ... YOU HAVE NOT COLLIDED.

All the people who have posted that if 1 plane see a collision, then both planes must go down ... they would be the first people back here to piss and moan that they were nowhere near another plane and then next thing they know, they are in the tower.

I would like to see HT introduce an array that would hold all the game ids for those that want the 1 person collides, both planes die.

Then when the code checks to see if there is no collision on their front end, but a collision is detected on the other front end and their gameid equals a gameid stored in the array .... BOOM ... to the tower with them.

I think this would be a simple change and would allow them to have what they think they want and leave the current logic alone for the rest of us sane people.

To get your gameid out the the array, you would have to post an apology on the BBS and plead on your virtual knees to get your gameid out of the array.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."