Author Topic: Chevy finally stepping up to the plate  (Read 2994 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Chevy finally stepping up to the plate
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »
You are off your rocker. Put down the kool-aid you've had far too much.

ya think?

corvette gs=$55k
0-60=4.4
1/4 mile=12.4
skidpad=.99

mustang gt=$35k
0-60=4.4
1/4 mile=12.7
skidpad=.96

those numbers are so close, that in real life, the driver will make the difference. the better driver will come out in front, regardless of which car he's in. more than likely, not a single one of us here(well..maybe rtholmes, and perhaps myself in a couple of months) has ever taken a car to .8g, much less get them into the .9 range, so again, the vette driver will be getting a rude awakening.

also reference the previous video with the stock gt hammering the stock vette on the strip.

i only used the grand sport, because i couldn't find specs on a plain old corvette. my understanding is that the grand sport is one up from that.

now, if ya want, i can put the boss302's numbers up against the same vette, seeing as the boss is one step up from the base performance mustang. and still cheaper. and much much quicker/faster/better cornering.  :devil

vettes are in a class all their own. i know this. but to take a "cheap" car and bring it anywhere near that performance level is pretty darned good, no matter how ya look at it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2011, 08:51:22 PM »
supporting evedence?
and the corvett is ZR1 is the 4th fastest production car in the world

The Camaro is a Holden Maloo. The GTO is a Monaro/ Vauxhall VXR. The CTS comes from the land down under as well. And I really really like the CTS-V. I've seen a few at the track and they're a darn impressive machine.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2011, 10:02:29 PM »
The Camaro is a Holden Maloo. The GTO is a Monaro/ Vauxhall VXR. The CTS comes from the land down under as well. And I really really like the CTS-V. I've seen a few at the track and they're a darn impressive machine.
there's been 2 cts-v's gasing up at the shop every couple days. pictures don't do them justice. they;'re actually kinda smurfy looking in pictures......but they're beautiful in real.
 there was one that looked like a suv version of the cts-v in the other day.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2011, 10:11:46 PM »
supporting evedence?
and the corvett is ZR1 is the 4th fastest production car in the world

Dude the Corvette didnt even break into the top ten according to the 2011/2012 fastest production cars in the world.

http://www.thesupercars.org/fastest-cars/fastest-cars-in-the-world-top-10-list/

you have a link showing the Corvettes claims?
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2011, 10:36:37 PM »
Dude the Corvette didnt even break into the top ten according to the 2011/2012 fastest production cars in the world.

Production car is used extremely loosely in that list.  How many would be on it, if it required more then 5k units total production.

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2011, 05:04:06 AM »
ya think?

corvette gs=$55k
0-60=4.4
1/4 mile=12.4
skidpad=.99

mustang gt=$35k
0-60=4.4
1/4 mile=12.7
skidpad=.96

those numbers are so close, that in real life, the driver will make the difference. the better driver will come out in front, regardless of which car he's in. more than likely, not a single one of us here(well..maybe rtholmes, and perhaps myself in a couple of months) has ever taken a car to .8g, much less get them into the .9 range, so again, the vette driver will be getting a rude awakening.

also reference the previous video with the stock gt hammering the stock vette on the strip.

i only used the grand sport, because i couldn't find specs on a plain old corvette. my understanding is that the grand sport is one up from that.

now, if ya want, i can put the boss302's numbers up against the same vette, seeing as the boss is one step up from the base performance mustang. and still cheaper. and much much quicker/faster/better cornering.  :devil

vettes are in a class all their own. i know this. but to take a "cheap" car and bring it anywhere near that performance level is pretty darned good, no matter how ya look at it.

Ok, Im done with you magazine numbers guys. Might as well be arguing with an import guy. I have taken my 06 CTS-V to 1.02gs according to the onboard g-meter on long auto cross coarse that was really setup more like a short road coarse than a tight auto cross course. I didn't have a g-meter in my corvette though so I can't give you those numbers. I can however tell you that in my 2000 c5 hardtop i went 12.7@108 back to back and that car had a cold air intake and big heavy wheels and tires from a c6 (18ft-19rr as opposed to 17ft-19rr stock c5). That is with a 350hp corvette. In my 2002 Z06 with bolt ons ( headers, exhaust, cold air intake, tune) which put down 388rwhp on the dyno (similar numbers or lower than a new base c6 dynos they are 438fwhp) I went 12.07@116 with a slipping clutch. While drivers are going to definitely make a difference, you are looney if you really believe your new gt will outrun a new vette in anything, (2011vette vs 2011gt, not 1997 automatic vette vs 2011gt as you posted earlier).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 05:07:05 AM by SilverZ06 »

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2011, 06:44:25 AM »

Buhwahahaha. Cars for idiots with more money than sense. Nothing on the list for less than $330K new, "base price", and none of those sold at "base price".

By that measure, you could call any race car produced by any factory a "production car".

Those cars are the laughing stock of the automotive world. Around 99% of them are owned by people who cannot drive them to 30% of their potential without wrecking them.

The best use for the cars on that list is that they make great posters to go on the bedroom walls of young teenage boys, right next to the posters of the "heart throb" Hollywood "starlets" they fantasize about like the cars.

Oh, and any car with more than 500HP at the flywheel will run 230MPH or more given the right set of gears.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:49:16 AM by Captain Virgil Hilts »
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2011, 07:17:04 AM »
Buhwahahaha. Cars for idiots with more money than sense.

several of those cars are worth considerably more now than when they were first sold. Paganis in particular are about the best investment out there. a piece of art you can enjoy and scare yourself in, and make better than FTSE 100 yields sounds like a very smart buy to me.

Oh, and any car with more than 500HP at the flywheel will run 230MPH or more given the right set of gears.

sure, in a vacuum ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2011, 08:01:13 AM »
Ok, Im done with you magazine numbers guys. Might as well be arguing with an import guy. I have taken my 06 CTS-V to 1.02gs according to the onboard g-meter on long auto cross coarse that was really setup more like a short road coarse than a tight auto cross course. I didn't have a g-meter in my corvette though so I can't give you those numbers. I can however tell you that in my 2000 c5 hardtop i went 12.7@108 back to back and that car had a cold air intake and big heavy wheels and tires from a c6 (18ft-19rr as opposed to 17ft-19rr stock c5). That is with a 350hp corvette. In my 2002 Z06 with bolt ons ( headers, exhaust, cold air intake, tune) which put down 388rwhp on the dyno (similar numbers or lower than a new base c6 dynos they are 438fwhp) I went 12.07@116 with a slipping clutch. While drivers are going to definitely make a difference, you are looney if you really believe your new gt will outrun a new vette in anything, (2011vette vs 2011gt, not 1997 automatic vette vs 2011gt as you posted earlier).

first off.....bolded.....there's a mustang gt right about 300 yards from me that goes 11.5's with less than what you did there. they tuned the puter, and put drag radials on it. and that was with a 6 speed automatic.

i didn't quote a 97 vette.....unless i misread, which is highly possible by the time i get home. i'll re-check the link when i get home to that computer.

if you scroll up to the link of the gt running vir, you'll see it hit 1.14g on more than one occasion. i'll be sure to have a g-meter in my car in the spring when i start running her at milleville, and at the autocrosses down at the old bader field in atlantic city.

i know the actual numbers well enough without magazine help to know what is capable of what against what. the fact is that the most affordable base vette will have trouble with a gt. it will lose to a boss302, which still costs less. it will beat the current gt500 though, as that one's not as well balanced out as the gt or boss. and this is a car that was never intended to compete with the vette. and yes, i've driven them. in fact, now that i'm thinking about it, i gotta call my old boss......i KNOW he'll be up for bringing his down to milleville too.  :aok

on a somewhat funny side note.......there's two of the "hotrod" jeep grand cherokees running around here, and a newer dodge charger. all of them have messed with me in the dakota. the jeeps got me, the charger couldn't quite cut it. not a single one of them has messed with me in the mustang yet.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
Volume of posts does not make up for anything.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2011, 08:12:14 AM »

Buhwahahaha. Cars for idiots with more money than sense. Nothing on the list for less than $330K new, "base price", and none of those sold at "base price".

By that measure, you could call any race car produced by any factory a "production car".

Those cars are the laughing stock of the automotive world. Around 99% of them are owned by people who cannot drive them to 30% of their potential without wrecking them.

The best use for the cars on that list is that they make great posters to go on the bedroom walls of young teenage boys, right next to the posters of the "heart throb" Hollywood "starlets" they fantasize about like the cars.

it is true, "production car" is used too loosley. the boss302r is in fact a production car, as it is built(again with exception of the rollcage) at the ford autoalliance plant. you can order one, and go racing. just like the cobrajet. they're both production cars.i guess, technically speaking, the boss302 counts, seeing as there's 2 versions of that for sale on the street. honestly though, i don't think they should be considered as such, unless that same setup is built for sale and use on the street, at an affordable cost to the general public.
 that takes the veyron, and that vector? thing out too, and many of those other "so-called" supercars.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2011, 08:28:10 AM »
Theres certainly a bunch of cars on that list which are more like prototypes or bespoke built cars, however some are genuine production cars evidenced by how many theyve sold:

300 Veyron
100 F1
280 XJ220
400 Enzo

imo anything which sells 3 figures counts as production :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »

Not a chance.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2011, 09:21:09 AM »
was that a real hp increase, or more numbers juggling like the 300 to 312 increase was?

Different engine in 2012.

2010 was rated at 304. In 2011 same engine was certified at 312.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:22:53 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »
Different engine in 2012.

2010 was rated at 304. In 2011 same engine was certified at 312.

yea, that was a "paper" increase for bragging rights.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"