Author Topic: World of Aircraft...vs...Aces High...We need to WIN  (Read 15901 times)

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: World of Aircraft...vs...Aces High...We need to WIN
« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2012, 04:17:33 PM »
It most certainly does not fly both ways.   I now realize "it sucks" because you are simply reciting the party line.  Duly noted.

I cited my opinion. That game is right up the xboxers alley though.

AH has nothing to worry about.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2012, 04:42:49 PM »
AH has nothing to worry about.
I disagree simply because you say so. I've known some out of touch people over the years but your finger is so far from the pulse on so many issues, it seems to be pressed firmly against the foot of the coffin.
AH has nothing to worry about because you say so? No. AH has plenty to worry about. It's engine and code are over 10 years old and even 10 years ago it looked dated. HTC refuses to modernize anything, because it can't? Who knows. Oh yeah, because it would lose customers on an OS that is.... over 10 years old - shocker.
Maybe WoP hasn't gotten it right with gameplay, but soon, a game will and if it isn't AH, then AH is dead and your finger will be on the foot of the coffin, looking for the pulse and telling the world everything is fine.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2012, 06:55:12 PM »
I've known some out of touch people over the years but your finger is so far from the pulse on so many issues, it seems to be pressed firmly against the foot of the coffin.

Oh, come on!! Be nice!!

I actually don't care.

But on this forum, there are AckAck, Karnak, Shuffler, and one or two others, who have shown that they know MORE aobut what's happening with carious things than most other posters.

Please. Spare me the drama.

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2012, 07:12:21 PM »
Your BBS heroes define you and make you comments irrelevant.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: January 02, 2012, 07:16:34 PM »
I rarely find the occasion to agree with Cheech, but I feel he is spot on regarding this matter.

I have a crappy computer. If I can no longer run AH I will get a better one. It may take a few months to get around to it, but it will happen.

Of course, if AH decides to not evolve with the times this will be of no concern anyway, as it will cease to exist.
See Rule #4

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2012, 08:08:50 PM »
Your BBS heroes define you and make you comments irrelevant.

I am my own hero ;)

I will say no more on that subject...

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2012, 09:10:59 PM »
Sure the racing graphics from screenies posted look  :aok great.  But how many other racers will you be encountering and how memory intensive are the driving  :joystick: physics compared to the flight  :airplane: physics in Aces High.
Agreed and screaming from the hilltops  :rock the flight simulation of combat aircraft against other online players is what AH2 brings to the table at a level of no other period.

Doesn't matter how many racers i encounter those graphics kick AH in the head. We can have that kind of graphics as we already have a good community. The sky wouldn't fall because we got graphics like that. When we get bombers that don't fly like fighters i'll fully praise the flight model in the game. Yes this isn't a flight sim but wow what this game could be.

Missed my point.  I assume that you are aware that framerates drop when they have to track multiple online players as well as your own progress.  So it absolutely does matter how many when you have to concede that AH often has 30 - 40 players in one sector, who knows how many destructible objects, and a KICK AZ voice chat and sound system, not to mention hundreds of other online players causing the AH world to update its status.  Add that to flight physics that have to cover lift, stall characteristics, compression, and don't forget ammo ballistics and damage models. 

I absolutely love racing games and that one would get my heart pounding from adrenaline and the pure looks of it.   So I am not putting that game down, I just say that if AH2 looked like that and ran at 6 fps I definitely wouldn't be spending a cent to play it online. 

Expecting HTC that has a following of gamers, some of them for longer than 10 years, to exclude any of those customers in the name of eye candy is a bad bet.  Who knows, maybe one of your closest squadees, or player that truly makes the gaming experience fun, is teetering on the edge with ability to run AH.  I know the feeling, I have no less than 7 computers in my home, some Macs, some running Linux, and some fairly new laptops.  My system is probably one of the oldest, but the only one truly ready to run AH2 to my needs.

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2012, 10:16:07 PM »

Doesn't matter how many racers i encounter those graphics kick AH in the head. We can have that kind of graphics as we already have a good community. The sky wouldn't fall because we got graphics like that. When we get bombers that don't fly like fighters i'll fully praise the flight model in the game. Yes this isn't a flight sim but wow what this game could be.

Missed my point.  I assume that you are aware that framerates drop when they have to track multiple online players as well as your own progress.  So it absolutely does matter how many when you have to concede that AH often has 30 - 40 players in one sector, who knows how many destructible objects, and a KICK AZ voice chat and sound system, not to mention hundreds of other online players causing the AH world to update its status.  Add that to flight physics that have to cover lift, stall characteristics, compression, and don't forget ammo ballistics and damage models. 

I absolutely love racing games and that one would get my heart pounding from adrenaline and the pure looks of it.   So I am not putting that game down, I just say that if AH2 looked like that and ran at 6 fps I definitely wouldn't be spending a cent to play it online. 

Expecting HTC that has a following of gamers, some of them for longer than 10 years, to exclude any of those customers in the name of eye candy is a bad bet.  Who knows, maybe one of your closest squadees, or player that truly makes the gaming experience fun, is teetering on the edge with ability to run AH.  I know the feeling, I have no less than 7 computers in my home, some Macs, some running Linux, and some fairly new laptops.  My system is probably one of the oldest, but the only one truly ready to run AH2 to my needs.

Didn't miss a point at all. The graphics in AH currently can be tailored for everyones pc with different graphics settings. Clipboard, then graphics details, then put some x's in the box's, slide some sliders. Even at the highest settings it is no where near what is in those pictures. So now that everyone can tailor there graphics as far as settings and have been able to do so for as long as i've been playing, why wouldn't you want to have better graphics in AH?   :headscratch:
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2012, 11:09:52 PM »
Well, before yesterday morning, I had my detail level set to "fast" and the range set to 1.5 miles or whatever it is. Then I went tanking.

I couldn't frigging see!!!

Now, it's 4 miles on the ground, and just above minimum when flying. :D

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #144 on: January 03, 2012, 12:19:22 AM »
James,

Let's put it this way.  I would love for the graphics to look like I could stick my hand through the screen and pull the cockpit open.  I doubt that I would ever see any of that other than in the film viewer or offline though.  But I trust that an organization that has been in the business for more than a decade, knows when they are due for a complete graphics overhaul.

Furthermore, giving the few folks all the graphics they "think" their systems could handle would probably require much more than adding a few more sliders.  There will always be comparisons that claim to prove HTC is simply dragging its feet for no reason (evident in this thread that the grass is always greener on the other side).  These things take years of preparation, and I would stand to bet that HTC has its own timeline as they tackle more pressing issues, they are on track with graphics improvements.   Possibly you didn't see this video to put things in to proper perspective.

http://youtu.be/Zs56Mr9iFqQ

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #145 on: January 03, 2012, 06:37:35 AM »
I agree. Modelling flight physics isn't easy, if it was, every single title in the genre would have ultra realistic physics. But what makes modelling racing physics so difficult are the tires/tyres. They're just insanely complex. Dave Kemmer, iRacing's physics genius with 20 years experience building racing simulations has spent the past 3 years working on iRacing's new tire/tyre model and he's still not finished.

Tire coding is not that difficult.  It is all about the friction coefficient.  Once derived, it can be modified with rather simple equations to compensate for heat, track conditions, wear, and so on.  Tire sidewall flex is a separate component which can also be represented with one value.

Getting all of it down to where it can be coded is the hard part.

There is nothing more difficult to model than flight.  Take everything you would need to model a car, and it is also done for flight, then add all the dynamic aerodynamic equations on top of it to model flight.

ExJazz, all I can say is you over-simplified how it is actually done.

As far as time to model, it is about the same.  Takes us about 6 months to do a new model.  It is more difficult as there is no one stop shopping for all the data required to model any given WWII plane.  I think it is fair to say, they spend more time on artwork, where we spend more time on research.

I disagree simply because you say so. I've known some out of touch people over the years but your finger is so far from the pulse on so many issues, it seems to be pressed firmly against the foot of the coffin.
AH has nothing to worry about because you say so? No. AH has plenty to worry about. It's engine and code are over 10 years old and even 10 years ago it looked dated. HTC refuses to modernize anything, because it can't? Who knows. Oh yeah, because it would lose customers on an OS that is.... over 10 years old - shocker.
Maybe WoP hasn't gotten it right with gameplay, but soon, a game will and if it isn't AH, then AH is dead and your finger will be on the foot of the coffin, looking for the pulse and telling the world everything is fine.

You have no idea what you are talking about.  For example, the game is on its third graphics engine re-write.  The game models are on thier third update (there are still some old models in the game, so you can visually compare if you have any doubts).  The flight model has been updated three times, to include more elements.  The terrain engine needs another update, but it is on its second update as well.

Getting very tired of people making claims about Aces High that are complete and utter fabrications, misrepresentations, and/or lies.  Thankfully we do not have to put up with it on our board.  Take that as a hint.  We are one of the most open game companies in the business.  We answer questions all the time, however, we will not give away anything related to the business itself.

Why would anyone care what version of DirectX we use?  You do realize that changing to another version of DirectX gains nothing?  It actually would hurt frame rates due to the higher overhead required.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:10:49 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2012, 07:07:11 AM »
You have no idea what you are talking about.  For example, the game is on its third graphics engine re-write.  The game models are on thier third update.  The flight model has been updated three times, to include more elements.  The terrain engine needs another update, but it is on its second update as well.

Getting very tired of people making claims about Aces High that are complete and utter fabrications, misrepresentations, and/or lies.  Thankfully we do not have to put up with it on our board.  Take that as a hint.

Why would anyone care what version of DirectX we use?  You do realize that changing to another version of DirectX gains nothing?  It actually would hurt frame rates due to the higher overhead required.

I guess they did not bother to read where I replied with:
actually it was in Closed beta a few weeks before it went open beta....... but it seems (as always has ) that Aces High just keeps getting better and better. I would think that we have only seen the tip of the iceberg  or top of  Mount everest in regards as to what the new AH graphics engine is capable of producing...... most do not know or remember that the game engine / graphics engine was changed / updated a few years ago and each update provides more and more realistic detail.....
and so many talk crap about the WWI arena and it not being used, and do not acknowledge that HTC posted that one of the WWI arena's main uses was to introduce new things into Aces high albiet graphics, sounds, flight model, new terrain features, weather features, etc etc etc...

Happy New Year !!!  everyone

TC

as for the questioning of DX 9 thru DX 11.........  if it was such a big deal...... why is the other competition bothered with their DX9 benchmark and gathering data from the people's PC's who are running the benchmark

I have not seen any other game company running any  DX10 benchmark or DX11  benchmark  tests........

just saying

cheers

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #147 on: January 03, 2012, 08:53:06 AM »
Didn't miss a point at all. The graphics in AH currently can be tailored for everyones pc with different graphics settings. Clipboard, then graphics details, then put some x's in the box's, slide some sliders. Even at the highest settings it is no where near what is in those pictures. So now that everyone can tailor there graphics as far as settings and have been able to do so for as long as i've been playing, why wouldn't you want to have better graphics in AH?   :headscratch:

You guys really do not understand where coding ends and artwork begins, or vice-versa.

Just a clue.  How many of those great looking games have over 110 models in them and are under 250MB is total size?  That is just the tip of the iceberg.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:20:45 AM by Skuzzy »
Aces High Films

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2012, 10:24:32 AM »
If anyone has a problem with us not putting up with people who misrepresent our game and/or our service, then feel free to leave.

No threat at all.  Just a heads up.  I should think it would be simple courtesy to not come to someones home and act in a derogatory manner.

People who want to discuss and compare other games to Aces High are free to do so.  We just ask people to maintain a modicum of respect in the process of doing so.  I am sorry if some people feel that is too much to ask.  I am apologizing as people like that have a tendency to wreck a decent conversation and I am sorry for that to happen here.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:27:50 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese