Author Topic: World of Aircraft...vs...Aces High...We need to WIN  (Read 15911 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Re: World of Aircraft...vs...Aces High...We need to WIN
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2012, 01:13:06 PM »
The only thing AH has to worry about with WoWPs is the pure fun factor.  If WoWPs creates a lot of pure enjoyment then it could hurt AH to some degree.  Gameplay in WoWPs will be a giant factor, not so much the flight model.  If they run it along the same lines as WoTs, loading players into well defined and constricted environments with a time limit for whatever victory settings they have created thereby forcing fights fast and furious well then, it could be a ALOT of fun.  And if they tier the airplanes giving people motivation to progress into more and more powerful rides then.......... well, we will find out shortly.

One thing is for sure from my point of view: Once I played WoTs I had no desire to play AH tanks.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:16:35 PM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2012, 01:27:06 PM »
Sure the racing graphics from screenies posted look  :aok great.  But how many other racers will you be encountering and how memory intensive are the driving  :joystick: physics compared to the flight  :airplane: physics in Aces High.  

Agreed and screaming from the hilltops  :rock the flight simulation of combat aircraft against other online players is what AH2 brings to the table at a level of no other period.

The physics required to simulate driving is significantly greater than flying. For driving you need the following: Tire model (feel, FFB, wear, temps, contact patch, side-wall strength, the list goes on and on because tire models are so complex), surface model (track temps and weather,track states and grip levels), aero model, suspension model, damage model. How many of the listed models do you think a flight title requires to be a good simulation?

With 40 cars worth of car geometry, not to mention huge amounts of track geometry, I'll hazard a guess and say that racing simulations require more resources. I could be wrong here; maybe HTC can clear things up?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:56:17 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2012, 01:38:09 PM »
How would you know there aren't around 200 Ex-Ahers playing WoT?  I would put the number closer to 300 that have left AH.   It is funny watching folks bagging on WoT,  because they suck at it.

In regards to "WoT sucking bad":  It is the Indian, not the Arrow.   

lol the arrow flies both ways. I did not say there were not 200 over there and I doubt anyone left AH for WOT. If they did then they were in the wrong game to start with.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2012, 01:54:27 PM »
Kazaa,
I would say, a well made race driving or combat flying(ww2) simulations, both requires a lot of research and coding/testing.

OT
This is based to my limited flight sim making experience.
I assume, the HTC has a FDM development/analyse tool to create a specific airplane FDM-model, based to the know facts like wing sizes, mass & etc.
It allows to play in real-time with actual parameters & correction factors via a response curves.

This will require a lot of pure manual testing time to meet a specific plane characteristics in different conditions like:
- engine / prop output vs speed vs alt
- mass ( fuel, ammo & ord)
- CG shift due above
- drag (mass & external ord) due above
- climb-, level- & dive speeds  due above
- roll-rate due above
- and who knows what due above

Once all seems to be in it's place, the HTC will export/build an fps friendly 'public model' with hard coded data, which is added to the next version .exe.

Just guessing :)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:06:13 PM by Ex-jazz »

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2012, 02:05:54 PM »
Kazaa,
I would say, a well made race driving or combat flying(ww2) simulations, both requires a lot of research and coding/testing.

OT
This is based to my limited flight sim making experience.
I assume, the HTC has a FDM development/analyse tool to create a specific airplane FDM-model, based to the know facts like wing sizes, mass & etc.
It allows to play in real-time with actual parameters & correction factors via a response curves.

This will require a lot of pure manual testing time to meet a specific plane characteristics in different conditions like:
- engine vs alt
- mass ( fuel, ammo & ord)
- drag (mass & external ord) due above
- climb-, level- & dive speeds  due above
- roll-rate due above
- and who knows what due above

Once all seems to be in it's place, the HTC will export/build an publish mode, which is added to the next version.

Just guessing :)

I agree. Modelling flight physics isn't easy, if it was, every single title in the genre would have ultra realistic physics. But what makes modelling racing physics so difficult are the tires/tyres. They're just insanely complex. Dave Kemmer, iRacing's physics genius with 20 years experience building racing simulations has spent the past 3 years working on iRacing's new tire/tyre model and he's still not finished.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:40:21 PM by Kazaa »

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2012, 02:07:38 PM »
lol the arrow flies both ways. I did not say there were not 200 over there and I doubt anyone left AH for WOT. If they did then they were in the wrong game to start with.

It most certainly does not fly both ways.   I now realize "it sucks" because you are simply reciting the party line.  Duly noted.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2012, 02:09:17 PM »
Racing sims are definitely more complicated.   I am still waiting for rFactor 2 to be Open Beta.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »
Racing sims are definitely more complicated.   I am still waiting for rFactor 2 to be Open Beta.

Don't hold your breath. :aok

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2012, 02:20:22 PM »
Don't hold your breath. :aok

I have an inside scoop.  A few months is the word right. now.   I will more than likely transfer my RL driving skills to rFactor or iRacing and join a European Racing Team.   I start looking for wheels soon.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:23:32 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2012, 02:29:36 PM »
I have an inside scoop.  A few months is the word right. now.   I will more than likely transfer my RL driving skills to rFactor or iRacing and join a European Racing Team.   I start looking for wheels soon.

Inside scoop, eh? It was suppose to be released last year ffs...

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2012, 02:31:54 PM »
Inside scoop, eh? It was suppose to be released last year ffs...

It is still Closed Beta.   I will just be patient and bide my time with the other two aforementioned sims.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2012, 02:42:02 PM »
I agree. Modelling flight physics isn't easy, if it was, every single title in the genre would have ultra realistic physics. But what makes modelling racing physics so difficult are the tires/tyres. They're just insanely complex. Dave Kemmer, iRacing's physics genius with 20 years experience building racing simulations has spent 3 solids years working on iRacing's new tire/tyre model and he's still not finished.

The ww2 air-plane FDM modeling is a stall region related: A energy bleeding / losing / control.
The needed data is not easy to dig out from the old so so accurate achieves.

So,

It's unfair to compare HTC's work versus modern date car sims. The modern date car sims have a fresh data in their hand.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:44:32 PM by Ex-jazz »

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2012, 02:51:26 PM »
The ww2 air-plane FDM modeling is a stall region related: A energy bleeding / gaining and control while it.

So,

It's unfair to compare HTC's work versus modern date car sims. The modern date car sims have a fresh data in their hand.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2012, 03:06:22 PM »
The ww2 air-plane FDM modeling is a stall region related: A energy bleeding / losing / control.

So,

This is a good point. iRacing licence most of their data straight from the manufactures. But to my surprise it still takes them 6 months to develop  a new car. I'm guessing the bulk of the process is down modelling every possible arrangement of setup and adjusting tire compounds per each individual track. The times in iRacing need to match those set in real life or the consumers will not be happy.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2012, 03:06:39 PM »
How would you know there aren't around 200 Ex-Ahers playing WoT?  I would put the number closer to 300 that have left AH.   It is funny watching folks bagging on WoT,  because they suck at it.

In regards to "WoT sucking bad":  It is the Indian, not the Arrow.   

i play wot and it sucks bad.  every other match my tank gets thrown into some game with tanks i have zero firepower to kill.  tanks dissapearing in the middle of the street? :rofl.  gamey as hell.   It's fun but unless you are willing to spend some money you will never get to the top tanks.  most people there earn their exp by volume.  get into as many matches as possible in the shortest amount of time.  that's why most players are dead within the first 3 minutes, they just charge in trying to get 1 or 2 shots knowing that is worth 200-300 exp points and that's that.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.