Author Topic: A tale of two spins  (Read 8171 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: A tale of two spins
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2012, 11:52:52 AM »
Hello Traveler,

I just went and checked my CH Rudder pedals

my raw data numbers are Left = 0   Center = 32305  Right = 64611

they come close to being nearly dead on evened out ( take the centered # and multiply times 2 to get your Full right rudder Raw Data # )

looking at your numbers on your Rudder Pedals show
Left = 0   Center = 31734    Right = 65535   ( it should be like 63468 )   or if you used your Full right rudder # and  divided by 2, your -->  Centered Rudder reading should be 32766 or 32768

I do not know if this is your problem or not...... it could be you just got a reading from a sticky pot, possibly

edit: if indeed your rudder is off and it was not a sticking pot for that raw data reading whether it be the centered #  or the Full Right # ......   then I would try recalibrating my controls ( & pedals )
both in Windows and then recalibrate in the game, then check the numbers again

if they come out properly ( evened out )  see if you can recover from your test scenario....

TC
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:10:16 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »
I too wasn't able to recover from a right-hand spin, but had no trouble with a left-hand spin.

Here's what Lockheed had to say.

Do you guys have all the Hanger Flying issues for the P38?  I had some of the originals from my Dad who flew P47's and later P51's out of England.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2012, 12:07:36 PM »
Hello Traveler,

I just went and checked my CH Rudder pedals

my raw data numbers are Left = 0   Center = 32305  Right = 64611

they come close to being nearly dead on evened out ( take the centered # and multiply times 2 to get your Full right rudder Raw Data # )

looking at your numbers on your Rudder Pedals show
Left = 0   Center = 31734    Right = 65535   ( it should be like 63468 )   or if you used your Full right rudder # and  divided by 2, your entered rudder reading should be 32766 or 32768

I do not know if this is your problem or not...... it could be you just got a reading from a sticky pot, possibly

edit: if indeed your rudder is off and it was not a sticking pot for that raw data reading whether it be the centered #  or the Full Right # ......   then I would try recalibrating my controls ( & pedals )
both in Windows and then recalibrate in the game, then check the numbers again

if they come out properly ( evened out )  see if you can recover from your test scenario....

TC

I will give it a try.

thanks
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2012, 12:48:35 PM »
I did the recalibration both in Windows XP and Aces High,
I checked the Centered numbers and it now reads 32768  Left ) and right 65535, with left being zero.  it’s the best I can do with my equipment.

I redid my test and had the same results.  I can only stop a spin to the right by adding full left rudder and power.   If I don't add power it continues to spin all the way in with just left rudder being held.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2012, 01:00:54 PM »
I did the recalibration both in Windows XP and Aces High,
I checked the Centered numbers and it now reads 32768  Left ) and right 65535, with left being zero.  it’s the best I can do with my equipment.

I redid my test and had the same results.  I can only stop a spin to the right by adding full left rudder and power.   If I don't add power it continues to spin all the way in with just left rudder being held.

Well Traveler,  your numbers look right.....   Left = 0  to Right = 65535    is what CH USB products read ( my CH Rudder pedals are analog/gameport model going thru an USB adaptor, is why they are different )

I  was thinking that might have been the difference, but looks to be not.......    I do not know what else could be the reason..... hmm.......

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2012, 01:08:54 PM »
Traveler,
How do you have your trim controls setup? Do you have them mapped to analog controls by any chance?
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2012, 01:23:39 PM »
Traveler,
How do you have your trim controls setup? Do you have them mapped to analog controls by any chance?

Auto trim is off and I only use the kep board. Also, keep in mind that it is only the P38L, the G and J can be spun both left and right and recovered, it's only the L and only in a right spin.  I must use power from the right engine to stop the spin.   
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:27:19 PM by Traveler »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2012, 01:36:28 PM »
Do you guys have all the Hanger Flying issues for the P38?  I had some of the originals from my Dad who flew P47's and later P51's out of England.

I have the first 23 issues.  I'm unsure how many total issues Lockheed made, but I know there is a 24th issue called Maximum Range Procedures.

I've kept on experimenting with different fuel loads, combat trim on and off, and using rudder trim to try and get out of the spin—still haven't managed to get out of a right-hander once.  I've only tried the L, not the J or G.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:38:59 PM by cactuskooler »
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2012, 01:37:03 PM »
Might be an oddity with the P-38L.  There are some oddities that have popped up with the P-38s, like losing a single elevator and having the plane roll to the side of the damaged elevator.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
Might be an oddity with the P-38L.  There are some oddities that have popped up with the P-38s, like losing a single elevator and having the plane roll to the side of the damaged elevator.

ack-ack

Yes but with so many haveing the issue and a few that it just doesn't happen to is very strange, must be something different somewhere.  I had the hope that it was in my controller but if it was I'd think it would happen on every P38 and in both spins to the left and right.  Still hope that someone from AH can take a look and let us know what they find.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2012, 03:03:08 PM »
I have the first 23 issues.  I'm unsure how many total issues Lockheed made, but I know there is a 24th issue called Maximum Range Procedures.

I've kept on experimenting with different fuel loads, combat trim on and off, and using rudder trim to try and get out of the spin—still haven't managed to get out of a right-hander once.  I've only tried the L, not the J or G.

are they available for the public to view?  the 23 issues?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2012, 03:22:21 PM »

Issues 1-11

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »

Issues 1-11

ack-ack

thanks I've had access to that for a number of years, I was looking to see 12 - 23  I didn't even know that they existed.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »

I have them uploaded here.  I'm missing pages 3 and 4 in issue 7.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4yd2126y3njuxca

Here's the cover of issue 24.  It's all I have of that.

cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2012, 04:15:40 PM »
You are looking at a .ahf file, it does not show the actual control inputs.

Hi Traveler,

Apologies once again, I wasn't being clear, I am aware of the .ahf limitations and I wasn't looking at the controls or the control surfaces. I simply assumed you were making the appropriate control inputs. However, even though you were unable to recover I was still expecting to see your aircraft respond in some way to your control commands, but by just watching the aircraft in the spin I couldn't detect any indication that you were making control commands of any kind. That is not what I'm seeing when I do it.

Here is a film where I wait until the aircraft is fully stalled before using the rudder to initiate a right hand spin. I allow the spin to fully develop and when it is fully established I still make no attempt to recover until the altitude hits 3k. I've used the 3k altitude as a marker so that you can see when I begin. Once the altitude hits 3k I initiate a recovery and pull out without using the throttle with a loss of 2k.

http://www.aircombatacademy.com/video/BadboyRHspin.ahf

The only thing I notice that is different in our control setup is that I use some damping on the rudder in order to smooth out my rudder inputs with the intention of helping to avoid spins during combat.

Unfortunately I simply can't get my P-38L to stall more deeply, or spin more permanently than that, it just won't happen for me.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Regards

Badboy

The Damned (est. 1988)
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired