Author Topic: Dad Vs Facebook  (Read 4743 times)

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
Re: Dad Vs Facebook
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2012, 11:23:22 AM »
Heee's baack!

Apparently Dr. Phil had some things to say about this guy so he responded.  http://www.break.com/index/facebook-dad-vs-dr-phil-2303496
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2012, 01:46:32 PM »
He really misunderstood Dr. Phil's argument, and then put fallacious evidence behind his own.  Let's start off with the fact that attending a session with Dr. Phil is entirely voluntary, and if you don't like watching it, you can turn it off.  However, if your parent does what Facebook Dad did to you, you have no say in the matter, and there's no getting away from it.  Furthermore, if he was worried about publicly humiliating his daughter, then he would have shown her the video privately on a television or done the deed live.  He knew what he was getting into when he put it up on YouTube, and therefore he cannot claim that he had anything but a superfluous conviction regarding protecting his daughter's privacy at the time when he put it up- heck, he didn't even apologize for his "accident".

Now that we have established that he is either shreckless or incompetent (i.e., does not understand how YouTube works) we can continue on to his two fallacies.  The first is a simple non-sequitur, teaching kids to respect their parents is not equivalent to obliterating their possessions with a hail of lead when they grumble about chores.  Where he got that idea, I don't know.  Furthermore, for all the "raisin' 'em right" that went on in this BBS (inhabited, I assume, by men similar to him) I hear an awful lot about people crashing cars due to peeking under miniskirts, bringing eight year olds into bars, and drug shenanigans involving parent and child alike.  That's certainly not indicative of any inherent superiority in parenting style.  Secondly, he attempts to prove that his style of parenting is more effective by a show of hands- I guess UFO's, ghosts, and Sasquatch are real, too!  100% of at least half a million people believe in them!  It's ridiculous, the man is covering his own sorry but with mismatched facts and an argument weaker than a house of cards.

-Penguin

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »
Now that we have established that he is either shreckless or incompetent (i.e., does not understand how YouTube works) we can continue on to his two fallacies.  The first is a simple non-sequitur, teaching kids to respect their parents is not equivalent to obliterating their possessions with a hail of lead when they grumble about chores.  Where he got that idea, I don't know.  Furthermore, for all the "raisin' 'em right" that went on in this BBS (inhabited, I assume, by men similar to him) I hear an awful lot about people crashing cars due to peeking under miniskirts, bringing eight year olds into bars, and drug shenanigans involving parent and child alike.  That's certainly not indicative of any inherent superiority in parenting style.  Secondly, he attempts to prove that his style of parenting is more effective by a show of hands- I guess UFO's, ghosts, and Sasquatch are real, too!  100% of at least half a million people believe in them!  It's ridiculous, the man is covering his own sorry but with mismatched facts and an argument weaker than a house of cards.

One of the more incoherent arguments I've heard in a while.

Also, though I may not agree with his % argument, I should point out that half a million people is only .0016% of the U.S. population.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2012, 02:14:07 PM »
Yes, but it's also more than three times his survey.  My points on parent style came from various threads from recent memory.

-Penguin

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »
He did it by accident  :rofl  What a dumb arse  :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2012, 01:01:48 PM »
Does he really think she's going to be more motivated by this.  I doubt it,  she'll be pregnant and a meth addict by 18 in response from the lack of quality attention and the application of strict punishments.  Then she'll so the same crap to her kids.

Will skyrock be out in time to be her dealer / pimp?
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2012, 01:23:22 PM »
I bet money it was .
Well it look's like the guy's plan worked . He just wanted to be seen on TV and now he is . What a crock of >>>> .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Hannibal

• Zinc Member
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2012, 01:29:28 PM »
He did it by accident  :rofl  What a dumb arse  :lol

Right?Someone needs to shoot this guys laptop.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »
Guy looked pretty calm to me.

I shoot old electronics all the time (yes, I know this wasn't old) and I'm not in a rage when I'm doing it.

Al I have to say is that the daughters public humiliation of her parents backfired.  Must suck when a plan doesn't come together.

Although I have not shot any of my daughter's electronics for punishment, there is a cell phone of hers somewhere at the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay,  the consequences of lying to her mother about where she was through text messages.  I was fairly calm through that situation.  We even made a mini ship's anchor for it before we scuttled it...  :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
I think he handled it wrong.. He should have sold the laptop and bought a new holster for the 45. Why ruin a good pc to teach a spoiled brat a lesson?
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2012, 05:38:47 PM »
What I don't understand is how you can deem her a spoiled little brat without even a single scruple.  Tell me, have you never, ever grumbled about what your parents do?  Perhaps Facebook is more public, but this sort of stuff has happened for ages- thus, this is a question of degree and not kind.  Furthermore, she did not intend to publicly humiliate her father- Facebook conversations, though techinically public, are intended for one's friends.  Though he may have felt that he had been publicly humiliated, her intent matters just as much as the action.  For example, if I got into a car crash because I sneezed and jerked the accelerator, then that's not being negligent, unlike if I had been texting.  The problem isn't just that the car got wrecked or that the comment was posted, but the intention behind those actions.  A polite nudge would have worked better than this whole shenanigan.

-Penguin

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2012, 06:16:33 PM »
What I don't understand is how you can deem her a spoiled little brat without even a single scruple.  Tell me, have you never, ever grumbled about what your parents do? 
Penguin, I never did grumble about what my parents told me or taught me. They sat me down and talked to me in a way that I understood them . I learned from them rather than they having to yell or tell me that i was wrong. I guess I just had great parents! I am 50 now so its not a time line thing either . I still would have sold the laptop. Why throw away money ?
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »
Boy my relationship with my father was like a cat and dog , we fight a while and play a while fight a while and play a while . He all way's won being in the 82nd Airborne but in the end we were the best of friend's and stayed together .
Am I the only one that thanks this hole thing is a scam .???

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2012, 06:45:58 PM »
@shppr01: Man, you're lucky with the great parents part.  Though it's probably all the issues I had when I was little that made them act the way they did.
@Flench: No, someone else posted the same sentiments a while back in the thread.

-Penguin
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:47:30 PM by Penguin »

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2012, 06:52:21 PM »
@shppr01: Man, you're lucky with the great parents part.  Though it's probably all the issues I had when I was little that made them act the way they did.
@Flench: No, someone else posted the same sentiments a while back in the thread.

-Penguin
Yeah I seen it but I still thank it was set up . He new it would go viral .