Author Topic: Avoiding the First Snapshot When Getting Bounced  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Peyton

• Copper Member
Re: Avoiding the First Snapshot When Getting Bounced
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 10:36:48 PM »
thanks

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 06:10:30 AM »
When I say rotate 90 degrees and maneuver in a different plane, I mean right as he is about to fire, you rotate so your wings are now parallel with the horizon again. Pulling up or pushing down from this point will usually spoil his gun solution and even force an overshoot.
I would stress that vertical and horizontal are usually the wurst directions  - go diagonal. He'll need to correct his aim in both axis, instead of just kicking rudder or a small jerk of the stick. Most people have problems when they need to apply two flight controls at once and/or think in terms which are not vertical/horizontal.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 10:46:10 AM »
I would stress that vertical and horizontal are usually the wurst directions  - go diagonal. He'll need to correct his aim in both axis, instead of just kicking rudder or a small jerk of the stick. Most people have problems when they need to apply two flight controls at once and/or think in terms which are not vertical/horizontal.

It's the principle not the exact degree that is important to understand.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 03:27:21 AM »
grizz, I know you know this. My comment was directed towards the less experienced players that may tend to take you example too literally. We can often find on these boards questions by new players that clearly show a one-axis thinking and you can find many players in the MA that fly like that.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 09:01:20 AM »
grizz, I know you know this. My comment was directed towards the less experienced players that may tend to take you example too literally. We can often find on these boards questions by new players that clearly show a one-axis thinking and you can find many players in the MA that fly like that.

Rgr that, that's exactly right.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 11:30:11 AM »

is a dang shame you never took me up on my offer long time ago, bozon..... but you still provide some most excellent commentary & Instruction on this particular forum, Sir

and it is much appreciated <S>
TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 12:48:54 PM »
Here's a common situation for me:
- flying along. say a Spit 16.
- F4U or Tempest comes from non-rear-quarter direction, 5k higher.
- Con rolls in on me, fast closure.
- I break.
- Con kills me during break (because my break move sucks)

I've tried various breaks here, but often enough, they get a 1/2 second snapshot that kills me or damages me enough so that it doesn't make a difference. I'm not talking about the folks who throttle down and saddle up behind me. These are guys just going to take a snap, and then set up their next shot, holding on to their E.

If I go horizontal, the F4Us seem to be able to get enough instantaneous turn performance to get a deadly snapshot a lot of the time. If I split S, this works fairly well, but still a fair number of times I get killed during the split S. I hate to pull up in front of a con, but maybe I *should* do a really tight upwards vertical move here? Seems counter-intuitive.

Is it a question of timing? What would be a good combo of move + timing of when to start it?

film your fight and post it or pm me and ill give u my email and you can email it to me..  sometimes what is going on is actually differant from what you think is going on.
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 06:49:36 AM »
is a dang shame you never took me up on my offer long time ago, bozon..... but you still provide some most excellent commentary & Instruction on this particular forum, Sir

and it is much appreciated <S>
TC
I am sorry I could not oblige. last couple of years I could not play much - a killer combination of work, kids and a crappy gaming computer. My period grounded is about to end in a week or two. Then I join the rank of noobs till I shake off the rust. Still, my online time will be extremely limited.
I can't wait:
Updated mosquito  :x
Mossie bomber :x
Updated F6F :x
P47M :x
Other things I don't know about :x
I am like a kid waiting for his birthday present...