Author Topic: P51 colides with Skyraider  (Read 5352 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Re: P51 colides with Skyraider
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »
And as many (most?) other pilots know, any pilot could have been in either plane at several points in their flying careers.  Back as a young Lt I personally over-G'd the snot out of an F-15E to avoid a collision that would have been my fault, I had at least 2 other near-midairs that weren't really my "fault" yet would have come down to a failure to clear my flight path (the catch-all cause whenever someone runs into something in flight), and in the training business I've taken the controls from a student pilot at the very last instant before collision became unavoidable, leading to abrupt maneuvers being required to avoid a collision.  Any one of those times, if my judgement had been wrong, could have been a midair.  So I'm not saying that these pilots are any different from any other pilot.  But I sure as heck do want to learn from their mistakes to decrease the chance that next time it's me riding the chute down.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2012, 02:45:18 PM »
I was being dismissive of looking back and considering how different COA's could have changed the outcome. I know how important hindsight is because it allows everyone to learn from a few people's mistakes. Anybody in the military knows about the videos that play out in slow-motion things going wrong and later describe what could've been done differently to avoid those incidents again. Some of the previous responses in this thread struck a nerve though.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2012, 02:46:45 PM »
how many p51s are left in flying condition? at least 2 have been lost this year alone :(.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2012, 06:59:40 AM »
I believe there are more P51s in show and flyable condition than there were 30 years ago.