Author Topic: Real life parenting question...not sure what to do  (Read 3642 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Real life parenting question...not sure what to do
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2012, 01:51:38 PM »
Remember that dependence can be emotional, too.  The pot may have been covering other issues.  Tread carefully, and remember that there will be plenty of things that will trigger her to think about pot, so keep the pressure for a few weeks on even after it looks like you've won.

-Penguin

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2012, 01:55:58 PM »
Remember that dependence can be emotional, too.  The pot may have been covering other issues.  Tread carefully, and remember that there will be plenty of things that will trigger her to think about pot, so keep the pressure for a few weeks on even after it looks like you've won.

-Penguin

This come from your years of experience?
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2012, 02:12:24 PM »
Yes, in both cases it applies to my current internet addiction.

-Penguin

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2012, 02:13:35 PM »
<post deleted>
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:02:11 PM by Pyro »
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2012, 02:16:45 PM »
We agreed we are not going to fly into a rage, she is not getting shipped off to some military school or intervention. Other then trying to be rational in our response, I'm really at a loss as to what to do. My first thought is to get her into some karate, etc classes to help self-esteem, focus her energy into something sort of UFC.

sounds like you started off the right way with being rational and not going crazy :aok

I won't tell anyone how to be a parent as I don't have much practice at it myself yet

I will just say this

Although I don't smoke anymore, from age 16-28 I smoked weed every single day. I don't drink, have never liked the affect, but weed has always been my way to relax and take off some of the pressure from a stressful world.

I have always had a good job. I have never been arrested. I do sports and have had an active life outside of being a stoner ;)  I have always had a girlfriend, and now have a family of my own. What I'm trying to say, is smoking weed doesn't automatically mean someone is a screwup, a failure, etc.

IT'S LIKE ANY OTHER DRUG - alcohol and cigarettes included. It can be misused, it can be bad if you get overly dependent on it. It is a FACT that it is a much less harmful drug to both the body, and to society, than alcohol.

Your daughter is growing up. She might have decided she didn't like weed on her own, given time. Don't read too much into it and start thinking she has low self-esteem or something. It's normal teenage behaviour tbh.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:23:55 PM by coombz »
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2012, 02:18:19 PM »
Chemical Dependence is a lot more powerful than emotional dependence.

If you're curious how powerful, look 'Krokodil' up.  It's the new cheap Opiate that's taking Russia by storm as a cheaper alternative to heroin.  And keep in mind the number of people here who have managed to get themselves addicted to prescription pain medication.

This person chose this happening to them, over going through the pain of opiate withdrawal.
(Image removed from quote.)

That's gruesome, but how did that have anything to do with what I said?  I was merely pointing out that relapse is quite the comeback kid; however, I agree with you that chemical dependence is far stronger.  In addition, how did that picture happen?

-Penguin

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2012, 02:22:25 PM »
Oh I was just talking in terms of people and chemicals, not you specifically.  Emotional dependence can be extremely powerful as well.

Chemical dependence is impossible to explain without taking up smoking or a similar habit.  That was the best way I've seen to explain it second hand.

It happens because what they're calling Krokodil is very corrosive.  The articles I read all said that most users are dead within a year.

You can youtube it too, but I'd do it with the volume off.  The screaming and crying made it a bit too sad for me to handle.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:25:10 PM by Rob52240 »
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2012, 03:30:46 PM »
Smoking pot itself is as dangerous as smoking grass clippings, give or take a chemical.  It also gives at least some users hallucinations, which, coupled with a low danger compared to other hallucinogens, such as heroin, makes it an attractive option for first time users.  However, dealers are in the business of pushing more drugs, so if the marijuana isn't doing it for the user, then the dealer may push for him/her to use harder drugs.  Finally, those who use marijuana may be self-medicating in order to escape reality, and while adults can recover from such hiatuses, children need to learn how to deal with their problems.  For example, stoning your way through middle school because you got bullied will leave you with retarded social development.  Needless to say, any intoxicant will leave the user at risk of self-harm.

-Penguin

no one in the history of marijuana use ever got Hallucinations from it....anybody who says that is an imbecile....no matter what the paper on the wall says.

trust me on this, young on....there is nothing like experience...and I have a feeling I have a bit more experience with pot then just about everyone on these boards................ combined........ :aok

I am 42 started pot at 9.......at one point when I was making huge money I went through an oz a day.... :eek:  (I was making about 700 a day tattooing so the expense was nothing)

honestly I love pot.....if not for that I would have zero sleep with out viscous nightmares of my family being killed.....I get major paranoia and believe it or not pot quells that, anxiety goes away.....

pot is Gods greatest gift to man :aok   

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2012, 03:33:11 PM »
no one in the history of marijuana use ever got Hallucinations from it....anybody who says that is an imbecile....no matter what the paper on the wall says.

More likely a Liar.
+1

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2012, 06:16:28 PM »
... or there's more to it.  Only person I personaly know of was a friend in high school that didn't smoke because when she was ~9 one of her teenaged cousins spiked her drink at a family party with acid (by the time we first knew her in HS her custody had long been awarded to her grandparents by the state, and I never asked for the full story so whoknows), and pot would cause her to relapse into a bad trip (she probabley didn't try pot more than once or twice and she still had nothing personal against it, but still, can't blame her for never wanting to try again given circumstances).
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »
... or there's more to it.  Only person I personaly know of was a friend in high school that didn't smoke because when she was ~9 one of her teenaged cousins spiked her drink at a family party with acid (by the time we first knew her in HS her custody had long been awarded to her grandparents by the state, and I never asked for the full story so whoknows), and pot would cause her to relapse into a bad trip (she probabley didn't try pot more than once or twice and she still had nothing personal against it, but still, can't blame her for never wanting to try again given circumstances).

getting a hit of sid and not knowing....especially being so young......not a good thing.

I personally hate chemicals....I am an all natural type guy...... :D

that's not to say I haven't tried chems cuz I have, just never liked them or let myself get hooked. 

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2012, 10:01:46 PM »

trust me on this, young on....there is nothing like experience...and I have a feeling I have a bit more experience with pot then just about everyone on these boards................ combined........ :aok

I am 42 started pot at 9.......at one point when I was making huge money I went through an oz a day.... :eek:  (I was making about 700 a day tattooing so the expense was nothing)

honestly I love pot.....if not for that I would have zero sleep with out viscous nightmares of my family being killed.....I get major paranoia and believe it or not pot quells that, anxiety goes away.....

pot is Gods greatest gift to man :aok   

My bad on the hallucinations part- I've debated a kid about magic mushrooms recently.  It must have been a Freudian slip.  If you have paranoia, then psychotherapy and real medicine will help more than just shotgun blasting chemicals into your body.  Marijuana is quite a cocktail- hundreds of chemicals, and due to the lack of regulation, who knows how much is the drug itself and how much is filler.  Then there's the negative long term impact of lost memories of time spent high due to its deleterious effects on memory formation.  Add in the other side effects and the risk of arrest and you've got yourself a ticking timebomb.

Physicians are man's greatest gift to himself.

-Penguin

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2012, 10:16:20 PM »
My bad on the hallucinations part- I've debated a kid about magic mushrooms recently.  It must have been a Freudian slip.  If you have paranoia, then psychotherapy and real medicine will help more than just shotgun blasting chemicals into your body.  Marijuana is quite a cocktail- hundreds of chemicals, and due to the lack of regulation, who knows how much is the drug itself and how much is filler.  Then there's the negative long term impact of lost memories of time spent high due to its deleterious effects on memory formation.  Add in the other side effects and the risk of arrest and you've got yourself a ticking timebomb.

Physicians are man's greatest gift to himself.

-Penguin

I don't believe it was a Freudian slip, I just think you don't understand.  Please name the "hundreds of chemicals" in Marijuana, and someone a synthetic chemical is that much better.

Step back in line, I don't think you have the experience to be any kind of expert on the stuff.  I kind of hope ink rips you a new one.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:18:27 PM by Jayhawk »
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2012, 10:40:56 PM »
I don't believe it was a Freudian slip, I just think you don't understand.  Please name the "hundreds of chemicals" in Marijuana, and someone a synthetic chemical is that much better.

Step back in line, I don't think you have the experience to be any kind of expert on the stuff.  I kind of hope ink rips you a new one.

The entire debate was about hallucinations and ended only a few hours before I logged in.  It's as best a slip as one can imagine.  Do you really want a list of all the products that partially burning complex organic compounds give off?  Ok, but man, it's gonna be a long, long list.

Read it and weep http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=636 according to this scholarly article, marijuana smoke contains "30 to 70 percent more carcinogens than tobacco smoke," which already sports quite an impressive number.  I'd say that's a start, in addition to the 300 other chemicals in marijuana smoke (see article).  Let Ink come- I'm ready to debate.

-Penguin