Author Topic: P51D vs Yak9U  (Read 5065 times)

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
P51D vs Yak9U
« on: February 24, 2012, 04:56:40 PM »
Is it just my experience or do these two make for a real fight 1 on 1 when encountered equal? What would your strategy be in either/both?
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: P51D vs Yak9U
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 05:04:02 PM »
Yak strategy would be not to run out of gas/ammo chasing the Mustang after every "Hail Mary" pass.

P-51D strategy would be the same as any other time it encounters a single con by itself:  BnZ/extend until the Yak runs out of gas.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »
I can tell when I have a good 51 adversary when I cant get him greedy with near misses and entice him lower and slower. The two planes seem to contest against each other rather well.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 05:17:37 PM »
The mustang can go toe to toe with a yak in a stall fight no problem.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »
Most Yak drivers have little skill or understanding of their bird. Yaks are not commonly flown. As a PonyD driver I'm fine with them. They tend to be very aggressive, easy overshoots and burn E with unnecessary near blackout turns. Play E and overshoot until I can get them verticle, which is the game changer.

At least that's how most seem to go. Some actually know what they're doing.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 08:00:39 PM »
The mustang can go toe to toe with a yak in a stall fight no problem.

Ah, no. The Yak has a much tighter turn radius. I'd classify it mid way between a Spit 8 and the P-51D. the P-51D pilot has to conserve his E and avoid using excessive flaps or it becomes slow speed fight where the Yak is superior.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 08:19:51 PM »
The mustang has the advantage over 30k and will carve high speed turns up there better than the yak.

I feel fine taking one off with 75% fuel under incoming attackers and don't have a problem flying one to the enemy HQ, and fly back home.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 09:03:31 PM »
Ah, no. The Yak has a much tighter turn radius. I'd classify it mid way between a Spit 8 and the P-51D. the P-51D pilot has to conserve his E and avoid using excessive flaps or it becomes slow speed fight where the Yak is superior.

On paper, but not in the game, and it depends on who is flying.  I share the view of BigR, and have done it many times.  The 51 is very versatile and can stall fight a Yak quite well, even at slow speeds.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 10:50:33 PM »
I thoroughly enjoy flying the Yak. I am by far not the best pilot in it. Nevertheless, the one thing that draws me to it is the limited ammo in that it helps me practice making my shots count. I love the challenge of fighting in something less than superior versus a top-end adversary. ;)
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:58:14 PM »
On paper, but not in the game, and it depends on who is flying.  I share the view of BigR, and have done it many times.  The 51 is very versatile and can stall fight a Yak quite well, even at slow speeds.
I concur.
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 11:09:35 PM »

Okay, let's settle this... Cage match. Large field in TA. Can't fly beyond the outer road boundary of the field. Take off on opposite headings. Reverse at other end for merge. Guaranteed stall fight. You, or anyone else feeling froggy, takes a P-51D, I'll take a Yak-9U. 60 seconds after the merge, you'll be flying a sieve. Any takers?
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 12:51:02 AM »
I'm game.
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline BrockS

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 01:29:08 AM »
Love the pony, not the best in it but middle of the pack and getting better everyday..............I own Yaks............Tempests and F4U-4's also

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 01:33:23 AM »
Love the pony, not the best in it but middle of the pack and getting better everyday..............I own Yaks............Tempests and F4U-4's also

the f4u-4 is the best prop plane in the game bar-none, if your not owning in it, your doing something wrong.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 08:32:47 AM »
I'm game.

Any evening after 9 PM (U.S. Eastern) next week... I suggest you go offline and practice. Not flying the Mustang, but staying inside the boundaries of the field in it. That, in itself can be a challenge. You'll find this type of fight a great deal of fun.
My regards,

Widewing