Author Topic: Lack of Interest in Japanese avation  (Read 4728 times)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Re: Lack of Interest in Japanese avation
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2012, 02:58:10 AM »
I know my in game experience doesn't reflect this, because I've been killed by a lot of ki's.  But I'm of the biased opinion that the Japanese planes are all too flammable, and under-armed.  I feel this way because it is also my opinion that the Japanese airforce was absolutely decimated by hellcats, P-51s and corsairs.

I have a lot of time in the 84 and she can take a beating. The Ho-5 cannon is not as potent as the Hispano, but it does hit hard and has an awesome rate of fire. It's really one damn fine aircraft.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2012, 09:17:56 AM »
I know my in game experience doesn't reflect this, because I've been killed by a lot of ki's.  But I'm of the biased opinion that the Japanese planes are all too flammable, and underarmed.  I feel this way because it is also my opinion that the Japanese airforce was absolutely decimated by hellcats, P-51s and corsairs.

I would disagree that all the Japanese planed are flammable. The A6M, B5N, G4M and the D3A are very much prone to catching fire. The Ki84, Ki61, Ki67, and N1K2 however have pilot armor and self sealing fuel tanks and for me rarely catch fire.

And other than the Ki43 that we don't have (yet) I don't see that they are underarmed.

Missconceptions that all Japanese planes are as flammable as the Zeke is part of the problem.

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline MAINER

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2012, 09:44:22 AM »
I would disagree that all the Japanese planed are flammable. The A6M, B5N, G4M and the D3A are very much prone to catching fire. The Ki84, Ki61, Ki67, and N1K2 however have pilot armor and self sealing fuel tanks and for me rarely catch fire.

And other than the Ki43 that we don't have (yet) I don't see that they are underarmed.

Missconceptions that all Japanese planes are as flammable as the Zeke is part of the problem.

you hit the nail right on the head!
Are those our bombers?-famous last words

Member of the congregation of The church of David Wales

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »
I have a lot of time in the 84 and she can take a beating. The Ho-5 cannon is not as potent as the Hispano, but it does hit hard and has an awesome rate of fire. It's really one damn fine aircraft.

It can't catch much, but against anything that's interested in staying and fighting, it's a very competent aircraft.  Same with the 61, and the 61 can fly for an hour in the MA on internal fuel at full throttle.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2012, 11:10:55 AM »
It can't catch much, but against anything that's interested in staying and fighting, it's a very competent aircraft.  Same with the 61, and the 61 can fly for an hour in the MA on internal fuel at full throttle.

Wiley.
Ki-84 is faster than most of the fighters in AH, though obviously not the currently fashionable speed demons.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2012, 11:18:09 AM »
J2M5 Jack. I may be mistaken but this could be a superior BnZ plane. Designed for high alt interceptions.

I'd like this in game. My Japanese vote.

Boo

This or the KI-100 and only because of the B-29..... and after the Boomerang, D520 and the IAR 80/81.  :aok
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2012, 11:27:40 AM »
Ki-84 is faster than most of the fighters in AH, though obviously not the currently fashionable speed demons.

...yeah, I was thinking about that after I typed it.  I guess the speed demons are all I'm thinking of when I consider 'is a plane fast' for chasing down runners.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2012, 12:30:44 PM »
Bah ... don't worry about the runners .. they aren't worth the fight anyway...just fodder .... the ones that stick around is all that matters .... BnZer's are painful ... but they eventually leave cause they can't deal with the frustration of missing or slow down too much and die hahaha .....

on subject...I really know to little about all of these planes to have any kind of insight as to what is lacking ...

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2012, 12:41:09 PM »
Bah ... don't worry about the runners .. they aren't worth the fight anyway...just fodder .... the ones that stick around is all that matters .... BnZer's are painful ... but they eventually leave cause they can't deal with the frustration of missing or slow down too much and die hahaha .....

on subject...I really know to little about all of these planes to have any kind of insight as to what is lacking ...

Offline Crythos

• Zinc Member
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2012, 01:11:20 PM »
+1 more more Japanese planes preferably the D4 but until then will still fly the D3 often, I find it fun and challenging even though mist of the time its just a magnet for the score monkeys.

The overemphasis on American planes is getting silly slightly, understandandable with our playerbase but skewed nevertheless.

If I dug my garden up I might even find dornier or 111 bits very common sight over the south coast in the time Aces high is set but not IG why?

Why so many variants of US planes but no Wellington, Lysander, Beaufighter, or many other significant planes.

Japanese planes may be seen as hanger queens for many but look at the the voting for the B29 and how many do you see fly? I have bomber perks coming out my ears but just don't bother.

Would like to see the perk system heavily re-visited so it would'nt be so easy to constantly up late model racehorse's and get more variety back in the game.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:19:24 PM by Crythos »
"Tojo"

Offline Peyton

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2012, 10:21:48 PM »
My "Japanese wishlist":

B6N2 - carrier torpedo bomber/level bomber, replacement for the B5N2
B7A2 - carrier torpedo bomber/level bomber, replacement for the B6N2, all carriers lost before it entered service
D4Y1 - carrier dive bomber, replacement for the D3A, fastest dive bomber of WWII
H8K2 - well protected high performance flying boat, patrol aircraft/bomber/torpedo bomber
J2M3 and J2M5 - interceptor with good climb and decent speed
Ki-43-I, Ki-43-II and Ki-43-III - most common IJA fighter, lightly armed and built but extremely maneuverable
Ki-44-II - Moderately armed interceptor with good climb and decent speed
Ki-45 - twin engined fighter of modest capability
Ki-61-I-Ko - early version of the Ki-61 with four 12.7mm guns and better turning ability
Ki-61-II - late version of the Ki-61, faster, more ammo, cut down rear fuselage
Ki-84-I-Otsu - Ki-84 with four 20mm cannons and perhaps a slightly more powerful engine, might be a light perk plane
Ki-100 - Ki-61-II airframe with a radial engine, slower, better climb
Ki-102 - twin engined attack aircraft with decent performance and some larger guns
N1K1 - float plane fighter
N1K1-J - land based interceptor based on the float plane fighter, a bit lower performance and much less ammo than the N1K2-J
P1Y1 - bomber/torpedo bomber with good performance and the ability to carry two 500kg bombs which would make it very useful for a Japanese bomber

+1  Great List

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2012, 12:13:49 AM »
I wouldn't be caught dead in a german ride.

Almost this, unless its a scenario or squad thing.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »
    I have often wondered why there is such a lack of interest from this comunity in Japanese aircraft.  I remember a poll from awhile back and the Japanese plane had 13% support.

I can't speak for the rest of the folks who play this game, but I love ALL airplanes and I am excited by the opportunity to fly anything that fought in WW II.  Yet most people who play here are only interested USA/British/German planes.  It seems odd to me that if you have in interest aviation that you would not enjoy the chance to fly everything. 

When a new Japanese plane is suggested legions of people line up to say:  "what a waste of time it would be" ...or "it would be a hanger queen" or the one that irks me most ..."it would not revolutionize the MA" 
    At this point, with all the planes we have available, there are not many planes left the would "set the MA on it's ear" so asking for a revolution seems a bit much.
    Hanger queens?  the only thing that makes a plane a hanger queen is the pilots fear to fly it.  I can assure you the "hanger queen"is eager to fly....ready to fly ...and she would love to get in the action.  It's the pilots who are afraid, not the airframe, she has more then enough courage.

I guess it just seems odd to me that there is no interest in Japanese planes.  Even more puzzling is how strongly players oppose HTC making more Japanese planes.  All I can hope for is:  when we have 20 versions of the spit ...20 versions of the p51 and 20 versions of the 109 ...maybe ...just maybe ...we could get a ki-43? ...or a ki-44? .....or a Nell ? I'll take anything. I'll continue to hold out hope!

Helm ...out

As both a history buff, and a LW MA junky, I wm exactly the the person who doesn't vote for some of the historical planes.  The reason is simple, I am most interested in planes that affect game play; that change it in by adding depth via a new dimension.

The way you do that is adding planes that excede at something, and kind of stink at something else. This forces players to leard to play to it's strengths and have to avoid it's weaknesses.

Ask this Question "Does this new plane change the fight compared to something we already have. Does it change it enough that it's worth the time and resources to add it?"

To add the Ki-43, it would need to be different enough from say it's nearest similar plane...the Zeke.
To add the P-63, it would need to be different enough from say it's nearest similar plane...the P-39.

Then you figure how much work the new plane or varient takes to bring to the game, and you divide the difference by the effort. Low numbers mean you don't do it.

In the case of the Ki-43, a low number results. Model a whole new plane from the ground up, so effort is max. If a Corsair comes across a Zeke, and a fight ensues, would the resulting fight be different if the Zeke was an Oscar? The oscar is like a Zeke the turns better, but is slower and has less guns. The extra turn doesn't change the fight. The slower speed and the less guns, just makes the oscar even more vulnerable in that fight. When a plane runs away, the Zeke can't catch it but neither can the Oscar. So no one would take an Oscar, they'd take the Zeke.

In the case of the P-63, a medium number results. Model a whole new plane from the ground up, so effort is max. If a Corsair comes across an airacobra, and a fight ensues, would the fight be different if the airacobra was a Kingcobra? The cobras have the same quirky gun package but with 500 more HP and 50-60 mph more speed the KingKobra changes the E-game significantly compared to the Airacobra, but it's turn capability may be less. If someone runs the P-39 can't catch them, but the P-63 could run down most LW birds. It become a very different fight.
Since it gives a new and different fight, I'd vote for the P-63. Not because it's a super plane that gives me an advantage, but it creates a different set of competive trade offs that I have to master to be successful.

That's the fun.....for me.  :salute

Who is John Galt?

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2012, 01:00:15 PM »
We do seem to have a bit of relative over-representation of American planes.  Then again, America also seemed to produce the most planes since the Axis had a difficult time bombing American industry.

I'm all for more planes, I don't care where the new ones come from.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2012, 02:28:07 PM »
Then again, America also seemed to produce the most planes since the Axis had a difficult time bombing American industry.
In numeric quantity as a whole, yes, as a number of types, not so much of a dominance.  The US flew so many types because the USAAF and USN had almost completely separate type inventories.  The RAF and RN had more overlap and also relied on American designed and built types.  The VVS, Luftwaffe and Regia Aeronautica did not have naval counterparts.  The Japanese, on the other hand, flew almost as many types as we did, though in much smaller numbers, because they also had a army and navy that had almost completely separate type inventories.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-