Author Topic: Lack of Interest in Japanese avation  (Read 4732 times)

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
Re: Lack of Interest in Japanese avation
« Reply #75 on: February 29, 2012, 09:38:42 PM »

In the case of the Ki-43, a low number results. Model a whole new plane from the ground up, so effort is max. If a Corsair comes across a Zeke, and a fight ensues, would the resulting fight be different if the Zeke was an Oscar? The oscar is like a Zeke the turns better, but is slower and has less guns. The extra turn doesn't change the fight. The slower speed and the less guns, just makes the oscar even more vulnerable in that fight. When a plane runs away, the Zeke can't catch it but neither can the Oscar. So no one would take an Oscar, they'd take the Zeke.

In the case of the P-63, a medium number results. Model a whole new plane from the ground up, so effort is max. If a Corsair comes across an airacobra, and a fight ensues, would the fight be different if the airacobra was a Kingcobra? The cobras have the same quirky gun package but with 500 more HP and 50-60 mph more speed the KingKobra changes the E-game significantly compared to the Airacobra, but it's turn capability may be less. If someone runs the P-39 can't catch them, but the P-63 could run down most LW birds. It become a very different fight.
Since it gives a new and different fight, I'd vote for the P-63. Not because it's a super plane that gives me an advantage, but it creates a different set of competive trade offs that I have to master to be successful.

That's the fun.....for me.  :salute

I'm sorry but I can not agree with that reasoning. If its gotta be bigger, better, faster to be included then that leaves out way to many planes for me.

Funny how speed is the one paper stat that so many people focus on, yet for me "fights" never really happen at full speed  :headscratch:

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: February 29, 2012, 09:46:18 PM »
has anybody thought that the reason theres not much more for the japanese planeset is because the plane models may not exist enough in records or in replicas/WWII aircraft to actually duplicate in game? As is i know of very few A6Ms still in existance. id be astonished if you can find an Oscar anywhere on the globe
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: February 29, 2012, 11:59:17 PM »
Vinkman has a decent point. I don't mind adding neat early or mid-war birds though they end up with very little use. They are so overmatched by late war it's not a real competition...unless they slow to turnfight. In the end we see them rarely.

If we add great early/mid birds for scenarios three thumbs up!

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2012, 01:27:01 AM »
has anybody thought that the reason theres not much more for the japanese planeset is because the plane models may not exist enough in records or in replicas/WWII aircraft to actually duplicate in game? As is i know of very few A6Ms still in existance. id be astonished if you can find an Oscar anywhere on the globe
Actually a company not that far from HTC made some replica Ki-43s from some salvaged wrecks. I don't recall where they ended up but I did see one doing acrobatics over the lake near my house one day. Very cool to say the least.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2012, 03:29:30 AM »

There is one flying Ki-43 and several awaiting restoration. There is one Ki-84 existent non-flying although it was flying in the 1980s. There is one Ki-100 I-Otsu remaining (no other variants exist) also not flying, engine restored to running order in the 1980s. The spinner, propellor and oil cooler on this aircraft were replaced by non production parts during the war following a belly landing.

Edited for shocking grammar.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:26:23 AM by nrshida »
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2012, 09:59:32 AM »
vinkman,

Disregarding the false claim that the Ki-43 was slower than the A6M, you should consider things beyond what happens when you something in your F4U.  Compare what happens when an A6M meets a Ki-43, or a B239 or a Hurricane meets the Ki-43.  All of those are different fights than when they meet an A6M.  The Ki-43 is such a core aircraft from WWII that what is needed is not one Ki-43, but three of them, the 315mph Ki-43-I, 330mph Ki-43-II and 365mph Ki-43-III.

The P-63 is a footnote and should be a very long time in coming to AH.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline vafiii

• Copper Member
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2012, 12:16:35 PM »
I think the problem guys are having with the Japanese planes can be summed up in two words... Pearl Harbor! That GD sneak attack which took place over 70 years ago still doesn't sit well with a lot of people. And I happen to be one of them. Case in point, last night my wife dragged me to a Sushi  restaurant to celebrate her sister's 40th birthday. To avoid an argument I agreed to go, but not once during the evening did I stop looking over my shoulder to see if the chef was sneaking up behind me with a sushi knife nor did I stop eyeing the waiter as he came at us full bore with a dessert tray. Some people just can't let things go.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2012, 12:45:47 PM »
Actually a company not that far from HTC made some replica Ki-43s from some salvaged wrecks. I don't recall where they ended up but I did see one doing acrobatics over the lake near my house one day. Very cool to say the least.
There is one flying Ki-43 and several awaiting restoration. There is one Ki-84 existent non-flying although it was flying in the 1980s. There is one Ki-100 I-Otsu remaining (no other variants exist) also not flying, engine restored to running order in the 1980s. The spinner, propellor and oil cooler on this aircraft were replaced by non production parts during the war following a belly landing.

Edited for shocking grammar.

then i can understand the introduction of the KI43 into AH as the KI84 has enough information to be given the rights it has in here. what im sayin though is if there isnt enough information to model the aircraft correctly to what it was in real life then why have it here in the first place? granted id absolutely LOVE to see more japanese aviation in here but it doesnt seem possible to model them correctly...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2012, 01:51:28 PM »
Conjecturing that Aces High uses some version of Blade Element Theory at the core of its flight modelling and there are still types in existence, or even original blueprints or even faithful scale models (all of which would give you a fairly accurate physical shape), coupled with the manufacturer's specification and data and various flight reports I should say you have most of what you need to make a very faithful representation. Or am I missing something essential?

I hope not or bang goes my eternal dream that I'll one day see the Westland Whirlwind here too.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2012, 01:54:15 PM »
I think the problem guys are having with the Japanese planes can be summed up in two words... Pearl Harbor! That GD sneak attack which took place over 70 years ago still doesn't sit well with a lot of people. And I happen to be one of them. Case in point, last night my wife dragged me to a Sushi  restaurant to celebrate her sister's 40th birthday. To avoid an argument I agreed to go, but not once during the evening did I stop looking over my shoulder to see if the chef was sneaking up behind me with a sushi knife nor did I stop eyeing the waiter as he came at us full bore with a dessert tray. Some people just can't let things go.

You may need to see a psychiatrist.

Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2012, 02:33:21 PM »
There is not a big enough roll-eyes smiley icon to express my utter disdain for this line of "thought".  Yes, the Japanese empire did a sneak attack on us, then we kicked their tulips back to Japan and dropped two nukes on them.  Now they are one of our strongest allies.  I think we can let Pearl Harbor go now and count it even.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »
There is not a big enough roll-eyes smiley icon to express my utter disdain for this line of "thought".  Yes, the Japanese empire did a sneak attack on us, then we kicked their tulips back to Japan and dropped two nukes on them.  Now they are one of our strongest allies.  I think we can let Pearl Harbor go now and count it even.

No, every now and then I have screaming, cursing outbursts at my English squaddies over vox, since I'm still sore about them burning Washington during the War of 1812.  :furious :furious :furious
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »

Actually you don't even need to leave the US  :D

http://www.flyingheritage.com/TemplatePlane.aspx?contentId=14

80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2012, 05:29:53 PM »

Honestly, even if your the "payback type", I think we got our "payback" over that one and can now let it go. We did , after all, almost anihilate them as a people.

More Japanese planeset missions would energize the set. We used to have lots of IJN/IJA plane set missions and dont anymore. Kinda silly most of all since we now have the Betty bomber.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2012, 06:10:06 PM »
Ya cant really cause any damage by running them into ships so whats the point??