Author Topic: Lost Planes of 1946 Freeman Field Open House  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Lost Planes of 1946 Freeman Field Open House
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 09:23:59 AM »
Great link Lyric!

When I was 5 years old (1958), my grandfather (aka Pop-pop) bought me a diecast Fw 190 (unpainted, raw metal). I thought it was one of the most beautiful planes I had ever seen. I still think so.....
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 09:54:18 AM »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »
That's the D-13 which is owned by Paul Allen.

Wmaker is correct.  FHC's 190D series is a D13, not a D9.

As for Jumos, there are several groups collecting parts for runners.  It is simply a matter of time before another one is running, most likely, on a flyer.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »
Right. I did a search a few months back and found excellent example in England. Unfortunately the man that has it wants a princely sum for it.

And to answer your questions concerning the D9 and Jumo 213 (FAF Kissimmee):

http://www.fw190d-9.com/
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 02:13:50 PM »
Right. I did a search a few months back and found excellent example in England. Unfortunately the man that has it wants a princely sum for it.

And to answer your questions concerning the D9 and Jumo 213 (FAF Kissimmee):

http://www.fw190d-9.com/

I'm aware of that restoration. You said D-9s in running condition. Their Jumo isn't burning any fuel yet. Only Dora I know that has its engine in running condition is that Paul Allen's D-13.

Hopefully there will be a Jumo powered D-9 flying sometime in the future.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 05:18:13 PM »
Sorry. Im not going to reveal that source until the recording has been made in person.  :devil
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 06:35:25 PM »
Sorry. Im not going to reveal that source until the recording has been made in person.  :devil

Right. But of course. :rolleyes:
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 06:45:43 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y5LBUVS1T8

That's clearly a D-13....

That's the D-13 which is owned by Paul Allen.

Beaten to it.

That's a Jumo 213E at idle in that video.  Paul Allen purchased and restored it after that video was taken, he also splooged a little extra and it now has a proper throttle control, but since receiving it and undertaking that resoration by PA it has not been run.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 01:52:01 AM »
No thats an extremely poor running Jumo in that video with a lot of crowd noise. Regardless of which anal retentive final designation 190D it is not going to be run again and we have to wait on the D9s being restored to actually hear the sound of a Jumo engine again. Likely the first to be running will not be a Jumo 213A-1 not that your ears could tell the difference.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 07:15:08 AM »
Speaking of digging up planes, the great lakes are packed full with early model corsairs and other navy aircraft.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline AHTbolt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 07:38:37 AM »
The lake planes are great finds but you cant touch them without Navy approval.
AWWWWW CRAP YOU SHOT WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the desert somewhere west of Kuwait 1991.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 09:32:28 AM »
The lake planes are great finds but you cant touch them without Navy approval.
How do you obtain something like that?

I'm very interested on how, because I'd consider trying.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline AHTbolt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 10:01:27 AM »
They will let you recover it after approving your method they look at your restoration plan, Then tell you where to send it when your finished. Unlike the air force that strikes crashed planes from there books the navy never has so they still own crashed planes. I can post the reg when I get off work.
AWWWWW CRAP YOU SHOT WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the desert somewhere west of Kuwait 1991.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 11:16:34 AM »
Regardless of which anal retentive final designation 190D...

Nothing anal rentitive about it. The 213F which powers the D-13 AFAIK is very different from the 213A of a D-9. What I find amusing at times is your total inability to admit that you are wrong. I'm quite sure you initially meant Allen's D-13 aswell but accidentally said "D-9". Simple "oh I meant the D-13" would have sufficed. No need to make up stories about some super secret D-9 which is already has a Jumo in running condition which you don't want us to find out about. If you don't want us to know about you wouldn't have said anything in the first place.

To others,

According to Sandy Air Corp. there are only four original wartime D-9s in existence. Of course mounting a running Jumo into post production example like the ones Flug Werke are doing would be the same thing as far as sights and sounds are concerned especially considering that very very little of the original material could be saved anyway especially for a flying example.

Mikael Olrog's excellent site keeps tabs on surviving axis aircraft: http://www.preservedaxisaircraft.com/. It also lists only four surviving D-9s. The D-9 now in USAAF museum is the best surviving example. The rest are/were in very poor condition and lot of new fabrication is needed to make them look like a complete aircraft.

Sandy Air Corp's website is interesting aswell: http://www.sandyair.com/
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »
They will let you recover it after approving your method they look at your restoration plan, Then tell you where to send it when your finished. Unlike the air force that strikes crashed planes from there books the navy never has so they still own crashed planes. I can post the reg when I get off work.
Damn you navy!
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3