Author Topic: Convergence  (Read 1888 times)

Offline usb777

• Zinc Member
Convergence
« on: March 11, 2012, 05:19:27 PM »
Any pointers on range and settings would be helpful. When I do get a shot, not many, I really need to make it count. Thank you for getting me in though, this program is the greatest most real ever! Most  aircraft show three trajectories. Do they all need to be the same or different?

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: Convergence
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:45:56 PM »
With multiple cannons, you can spread them out a little bit because of the damage they deal out.  That gives a greater chance of hits.  With machine guns, it's usually better for all of them to converge at a single point to concentrate the damage.  Try for something in the 250-400 range - whichever is closer to the type of shooting opportunities you typically get.  If you are a BnZ type flyer, start at 400.  If you TnB more, go for a closer setting.  Nose mounted guns can be set out further than wing guns and still get good results.  Whatever the setting, take most of your shots close to the range you choose.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 05:58:54 PM »
You can read more here http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/convergence3/convergence3.htm

Basically guns are tied in pairs, one on the left with one on the right. When setting convergence each line you are dragging in and out is a pair of guns. The point is where the guns cross...or converge. You set them where you fire. It is better to fire closer 300-400 than farther out 600.

Offline usb777

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 09:32:49 PM »
As a Sgt long ago, Army Infantry, I gave the class on the M-16. You have given me the refresher course I needed. Again thank you and when you see bear777 in your gunsites, please think well of me.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 12:56:50 AM »
As a Sgt long ago, Army Infantry, I gave the class on the M-16. You have given me the refresher course I needed. Again thank you and when you see bear777 in your gunsites, please think well of me.
thank you for your service in the armed forces. Your one of many vets in this game that has my highest respect  :salute
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline usb777

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 06:08:41 PM »
One  or two more questions. Does it matter when staggering the distance of the guns which order say outer most gun at 300, middle at 275, inner at  250 or opposite outer at 250, middle at 275, inner at 300 considering all guns are of the same cal? Also, the line of vertical site I believe is preset in the program since we have no rear aperture or front site post to adjust and the plunging fire effect is based on Kentucky windage depending if one is within the range of say 225-325 yd. Am I correct? Other then that practice and experiment using the .target feature with the radio?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »
Personally I don't like to stagger my guns. I have all of mine set at 300. When the range maker for each plane drops from 400 to 200 you are at 300 out. (200=100-300, 400=300-500) At 300 with 50s I feel they have a good punch, some of which you lose at 400 and farther out. With my guns at the same convergence I hit with a bunch of rounds in a single small area. With the convergence staggered you creating a "shot gun" effect and spreading you rounds out. Thats ok if you can stay on a target for a good amount of time like a buff or something. With a fighter they WILL be jumping all over the place and that single burst  for a half second may be all the shot you get. There is also an amount of "drop" in the round due to gravity that you have to take into account for.

Try it both ways and see which way you like it, and yes practice practice, practice!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 06:59:21 PM »
Forward momentum requires drop compensation to place rounds in the path of the cons travel. Most of your combat shooting in this game is 200-400 dead 6 or Low-G-Angle OFF turns. Set your guns in wing mounted all to the same distance, even hood guns untill youhave gained experience. Begin with 300 to learn, read this linked AH post. Play with the linked gunsight offline with drones to understand drop compensation and lead. It won't hurt to download "Bag the Hun" that is linked to in the POST to understand Angle-Off.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,329131.0.html

Different rate of fire from different automatic whepons will require experimenting with your time of fire offline with the drones. One to two second bursts are the average. Nose mounted only guns are more like the combat pistol concept of Point and shoot. Your drop compensation is less in trailing 6 shots and you more often need to unload G to perform lead and snap shots. Either your ACM is good enough to force him into your shooting line or you are able to manuver to place your shots in his path as you choose.

In turns your wing mounted guns are shooting a bit up into the turn by how they are oriented in the wing. Nose mounted basicly are shooting behind you in a turn which causes many inexperienced players to miss in a turn fight becasue they underestemate how much lead is required. Enter the concept of unloading G with nose mounted. Placing your nose ahead of where the con will turn to and ease off on the turn while firing or even level your wings.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »
One  or two more questions. Does it matter when staggering the distance of the guns which order say outer most gun at 300, middle at 275, inner at  250 or opposite outer at 250, middle at 275, inner at 300 considering all guns are of the same cal? Also, the line of vertical site I believe is preset in the program since we have no rear aperture or front site post to adjust and the plunging fire effect is based on Kentucky windage depending if one is within the range of say 225-325 yd. Am I correct? Other then that practice and experiment using the .target feature with the radio?

There's been a debate on this forever now, ol squady flew his P47N with 4 guns at 350 and 4 at 375.

Personally I keep every gun under 350 range max, anything below 30caliber rounds I keep at 300. Frankly I don't fire beyond 300 yards either, I wait until the Target goes from D400 to D200 then rip a burst.

Reason being I believe in conserving ammo and scoring the max hits for my shots, I can say this has been extremely successful on my end, however most won't like the fact you can't shoot at D400/D600 range.
Its really a coin toss in the end how you want to set it up, some have guns setup for D650, etc.
JG 52

Offline usb777

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 08:04:52 PM »
You guy's are great! Thanks, you probably know I already need all the help I can get after my first real experience this past weekend. I think I need a good wing man to.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »
I fly on Saturdays from about 2 pm eastern until 11pm. Im rook most of the time, I'd be happy to fly with ya.

Offline usb777

• Zinc Member
Wing Man
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 09:02:12 PM »
I think I would like that. I am in Reno . I believe three hours behind you? I have been placed in the arena as a Knight last weekend. How would I change to a Rook? Oh, did I say I'm really good at following orders.

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 02:16:06 AM »
To change countries, there is an 'O'Club' option in the Clipboard menu (press Escape). Once you've clicked O'Club there should be an option to change country to Rooks

You can change every 12 hours so you won't be stuck there forever

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game so far :)
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 07:36:35 AM »
Depends on what type of guns too. Allied planes (.50 Cals, Hispanoes), are almost like lasers and have little drop in their trajectory.

MG151s, MK108s, and 13mms all have pretty bad ballistics and require more lead if you do not fire at the same range your convergence is at.

D300 is the optimum range almost every gun except maybe the P39s 37mm which unlike most cannons, have a very flat trajectory and can be set at D650.

My .50s are set at 350, my hispanos at 400, my MK108s at 200, and every other gun at 300.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 02:04:44 PM »
Depends on what type of guns too. Allied planes (.50 Cals, Hispanoes), are almost like lasers and have little drop in their trajectory.

MG151s, MK108s, and 13mms all have pretty bad ballistics and require more lead if you do not fire at the same range your convergence is at.

D300 is the optimum range almost every gun except maybe the P39s 37mm which unlike most cannons, have a very flat trajectory and can be set at D650.

My .50s are set at 350, my hispanos at 400, my MK108s at 200, and every other gun at 300.

Don't you mean the Yak-9T?  The 37mm on the P-39 drops like a meteor.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."