Author Topic: How do you approach a Spit?  (Read 8149 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: How do you approach a Spit?
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2012, 11:28:43 PM »
stop "thinking" about it and just react.

what did Bruce say.....Practice Practice Practice...and you wont have to think about it, it will do it all on its own.

get out there and fight, avoid the HO attack at all costs,(except 262 they deserve to be HOed :D) never back down, never run.

merge with them so you get a shot but deny them one, if they are rolled to the right....roll to the left into them, and vice versa....

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2012, 12:20:16 AM »
  Okay folks...you are in a 47N @8K and see a spitwhatever co-alt at 3k away. Describe to me what I should do. I'm not backing down or running as i have been practicing for 6 years now just as Master Lee said. I nosed under on the merge to avoid the ho shot and the spitfire just did a imbelman as he crossed my 6/9 line. Now what? Do the same and watch as he turns inside of me? Yes, I'm a brave fighter sitting in the tower as the spitfire basks in the glory of his victory. :bhead

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:39:17 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2012, 12:39:11 AM »
Okay people...you are in a 47N @8K and see a spitwhatever co-alt at 3k away. Describe to me what I should do. I'm not backing down or running. The spitfire just did a imbelman as he crossed my 6/9 line. Now what?

if you are only seeing him at 3k need to practice SA....
where did he come from?
did he drop to that ALT, or climb up to it? same for you, how did you get to that ALT?

whats the E states?

how fast are you?
whats his guesstimated speed?
how is he merging with ya?
does he pull in tight to ya?
 or does he do a Lazy merge? 
how much fuel you got left?
any other cons around?

as you approach if he goes nose down he is most likely trying to grab speed...but not always I will De-throttle fully as I am merging with someone...I will try to get below his nose and then once there pull up into him or roll away so as we cross/merge I am already more then half way turned into his direction of flight....

if his merge is lazy and its in the MA take the shot that will be a close Ho but he still wont have guns...

if he is going hard nose down I may firewall the throttle and do a hard climb, which will scrub some speed but allow to pull inside the same way from below just going down instead of up.

there are so many variables.....that's what is great about dogfighting NO two fights are ever the same.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2012, 12:56:30 AM »
AH HA Grasshopper! So there is much more to a dogfight then just reacting.  :joystick:

you got time to practice in the next hr or so?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:58:13 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2012, 01:19:15 AM »
AH HA Grasshopper! So there is much more to a dogfight then just reacting.  :joystick:

you got time to practice in the next hr or so?

no, gonna go to bed with the wife in a bit...but I can make it any night if I know in advance.

and yes there is so much more to it...but the more you do it, the more it becomes "reaction"

you should sign up for the ladder, lots of great sticks that can not refuse to fight, unless they have a challenge all ready.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2012, 05:29:17 AM »
I've thought about that dueling league man, but I just ain't got the skill to be any good at it. I'd just be constantly clubbed all the time then get pissed off about the whole deal. I try to learn some stuff on my own in the DA but those guys want to fly F4U-4s and such and drop in with a 10k alt advantage then brag about how uber they are. So the DA thing is starting to get real old.  :frown:
I ran into pervert in the TA awhile ago and I was just embarrassing myself. He was flying circles around me as all the dueler guys do. He tried to show me a few things but he didn't have a mic, which made it even more frustrating for me. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it.
I've got the b&z thing down just fine, but when to comes down to getting down and dirty I feel like a 2 week noobie sometimes. I don't know man. I've been playing this game for 6 years now and I'm been wondering for the last couple, if I've ever get over this hump. I even attended the BFM clinic Rolex put on the other day, but it just pretty much covered stuff I already know. 
Lighten up Francis

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2012, 05:56:49 AM »
I've thought about that dueling league man, but I just ain't got the skill to be any good at it. I'd just be constantly clubbed all the time then get pissed off about the whole deal. I try to learn some stuff on my own in the DA but those guys want to fly F4U-4s and such and drop in with a 10k alt advantage then brag about how uber they are. So the DA thing is starting to get real old.  :frown:
I ran into pervert in the TA awhile ago and I was just embarrassing myself. He was flying circles around me as all the dueler guys do. He tried to show me a few things but he didn't have a mic, which made it even more frustrating for me. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it.
I've got the b&z thing down just fine, but when to comes down to getting down and dirty I feel like a 2 week noobie sometimes. I don't know man. I've been playing this game for 6 years now and I'm been wondering for the last couple, if I've ever get over this hump. I even attended the BFM clinic Rolex put on the other day, but it just pretty much covered stuff I already know. 

well the only way to get better is to play/fight against someone better, that goes with anything....

I have a mic...if you want later today or tonight we can go to TA....and go through some paces, the TA is definitely a better place to get some good fights without having to worry about rerolling each time.

you say you have the BnZ part down, this may be the issue, you have gotten so used to that style that the TnB is so foreign....

which planes do you enjoy?

guessing..47...51...190...all great planes, and do what they are supposed to do exceptionally well, but trying to use a hammer to screw in a screw....dont get ya far...so first thing you gotta do is choose a plane that fits the role of TnB better...obviously I would suggest the KI-84...but I am a bit biased to that bird....

then we will hit the TA roll from same field and turn back in before the runway ends and keep the fighting above the field.....

my memory is bad someone suggested that and it actually works great to get used to flying on the edge of a stall, and pushing it so you can control that stall....

as far as the dueling league goes, really man its not about chest thumping and ego's...just good fights and learning as much as possible.

you say you get angry, that could be an issue also...anger gets in the way of a free thinking mind, and wont allow you to react naturally....

something to work on...

ya gotta say screw it I am gonna die and just don't give a crap.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2012, 06:19:18 AM »
Tnx for the quick reply Ink. I've been playing around with the 109F and G6 in the attempt to adjust my style and get better. The KI84 is definitely a plane I have trouble with in the MA and really should get in one, if for no other reason then see what it can and can't do from the drivers POV. I haven't flown one in a few years. I ended up parking it because the damned elevators would blow clean off everytime I tried to dive like I would in a 51 or 47  :lol.  I'll try to give you a holla today or this evening to see if ya have some time. And thanks for the willingness to help me out. I appreciate it.  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Myg

• aka Torquila (PNG)
  • Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2012, 09:42:59 AM »
Whats with all this talk and details and etc etc? Your all just repeating the same stuff but in the inverse of eachother.

Look, you want to approach a spit? You First *HO* it; wether or not your planning to fire doesn't matter, but *always* go for the HO to see what kind of a pilot they are.

Someone flying a spitfire is like the someone in your school who grew up with a huge trust fund behind his/her name. They have the ability to always do much more then you without having to do as much work.

Now, someone in that position can usually only fall to one thing: Arrogance. The fact that life seems so easy to them, and quite frankly, it is; means that sometimes they expect their position as flying a spit to account for their mistakes. That is when you strike, fighting a spit is mainly a mental battle and if you can trick him into falling into his own weaknesses, you have him.

But if your really unlucky: They understand how much of an envelope over you they have and aptly apply it, thus; either you die within a very short period of time or you somehow run away (while taking a load of damage).

This is assuming co-alt of course, and even-steven energy states.

The spit is just *that* good, and has always been, because it really is that good of a design.

Peace out.
 :airplane:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:44:40 AM by Myg »

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2012, 10:39:15 AM »
Whats with all this talk and details and etc etc? Your all just repeating the same stuff but in the inverse of eachother.

Look, you want to approach a spit? You First *HO* it; wether or not your planning to fire doesn't matter, but *always* go for the HO to see what kind of a pilot they are.

Someone flying a spitfire is like the someone in your school who grew up with a huge trust fund behind his/her name. They have the ability to always do much more then you without having to do as much work.

Now, someone in that position can usually only fall to one thing: Arrogance. The fact that life seems so easy to them, and quite frankly, it is; means that sometimes they expect their position as flying a spit to account for their mistakes. That is when you strike, fighting a spit is mainly a mental battle and if you can trick him into falling into his own weaknesses, you have him.

But if your really unlucky: They understand how much of an envelope over you they have and aptly apply it, thus; either you die within a very short period of time or you somehow run away (while taking a load of damage).

This is assuming co-alt of course, and even-steven energy states.

The spit is just *that* good, and has always been, because it really is that good of a design.

Peace out.
 :airplane:

:huh You're the reason we have dweebs HOing all over the place. Stop HOing and learn ACM and guess what....*gasp* you can actually beat the Spit! Like...zOMG! I have to use rudder and throttle? zOMG!

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2012, 01:19:56 PM »

then I would collide into you :devil have to agree with titanic :salute oh and btw I enjoy the spit9

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2012, 02:56:08 PM »
uptown,

Set some time up with me.  My best times are around 9 central time evenings.  I still have Tuesdays open.  There's a lot into merging that can't all be discussed in posting, it takes repetition and training.   When I normally start with a student I work through some basic merges, getting the fundementals down first.  Then start working on the what if's.  Work with me long enough and I've pretty much thrown everything at you that you will see here and how to counter it.   I also like to point out the why nots to bad merges.  Warning: I do give homework :devil

PM me if interested
 :salute
BigRat   
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2012, 03:07:13 PM »
uptown,

Set some time up with me.  My best times are around 9 central time evenings.  I still have Tuesdays open.  There's a lot into merging that can't all be discussed in posting, it takes repetition and training.   When I normally start with a student I work through some basic merges, getting the fundementals down first.  Then start working on the what if's.  Work with me long enough and I've pretty much thrown everything at you that you will see here and how to counter it.   I also like to point out the why nots to bad merges.  Warning: I do give homework :devil

PM me if interested
 :salute
BigRat    
Awesome! Pencil me in for Tuesdays @ 9cst then.  And I welcome the homework  :D  :salute

@ Ink: I'm going to log in at 7pm cst tonight. Will that time work for you?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:11:10 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »
Awesome! Pencil me in for Tuesdays @ 9cst then.  And I welcome the homework  :D  :salute

Awesome! Pencil me in for Tuesdays @ 9cst then.  And I welcome the homework  :D  :salute

8 for me, sounds good see ya in TA :salute

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2012, 03:48:07 PM »
Right on!  :aok
Lighten up Francis