Author Topic: DEVILS=v=BRIGADE  (Read 7698 times)

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: DEVILS=v=BRIGADE
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2012, 05:58:30 PM »
I have always believed that the base taking squads have an important place in the Aces High ecology.  The base rollers are the first place of refuge for a high percentage of the brand new players.  The base takers are the ones posting missions and welcoming all who wish to participate to join in on their fun...The missions give the new player a way to feel successful in this very steep learning curve game.  Also, the contact with other players (many of whom are at a similar noob skill level), gives the new guys a way to make contact with other players more on their level....Ideally, these new players will spend a period of time in the base rolling squad, learning the basic mechanics of the game.  Giving them just enough of a taste of success in the Aces High world that they eventually begin to seek out more.  Eventually, hopefully, they realize that if they are ever going to truly become skilled pilots they are going to have to branch out and seek out training that the base rolling squad cannot or will not provide.

What Dave has said here is quite accurate, and precisely my experience, as I used to be a vTard when I first joined AH.  I was looking to learn the mechanics of the game and they were the first guys to invite me aboard (vDogfite, right before vDallas took over) and teach me those basic things related to shutting down and capturing bases.

Beyond that, there was little more to learn from them, because of the narrow focus on base takes.  This is what is perceived by the community as a lack of interest in “getting better” as others have put it here.  In their own eyes, they are “good enough” if they close and capture bases.  Keep in mind that is all they care about.  They aren’t really looking for a fight – the easier the target, the better.  However, they do occasionally start protracted fights, but this is the result of a failed mission, not a success for them.  The desire to fight air-to-air, survive the mission and RTB is not stressed (by the officers I flew with, or especially vDallas), so it is not on the priorities list of things to learn.  Believe me, I had many conversations about just this subject with vDallas and other squaddies.  They briefly showed interest, allowed me to hold several training/practice sessions focused on wing tactics, attended by 3-5 guys for a short time, but the doctrines we practiced were never really used because they didn’t fit into "the mission profiles".  Personally, I became discouraged by seeing my squad-mates die so frequently and in so large numbers.  I was also disappointed by the lack of interest in improving this and focusing on surviving missions in addition to just flattening and capturing bases.  Eventually, I felt I was being asked to be a member of a suicide squad where individual player growth didn’t matter much.  So, I left.

I am sharing this not as an insult to the vSquad – but rather to make an important point: the vSquad is what it is, and it is not likely to change -- so stop complaining about them!  I couldn’t change the culture from within, and you will not change the culture from the outside, no matter how much you complain, berate and laugh at them.  They will only continue to interpret that as success.

To vTrooper: I know you draw some satisfaction by making your “enemies” complain about you.  That is why you started this thread.  You actually stated this as your goal in another thread about the Brigade.  Sadly, many people do judge their success in this community by how much they are disliked.  What I think you need to understand is that the vBrigade is not really as “hated” as you’d perhaps like it to be.  I’ve flown with and against you, for all three chess pieces, for 3 squads and seen many sides of the equation.  It is my conclusion that the vGuys are more "disrespected" (hence, mocked) than "hated".  This is because most players realize that horde base-takes are usually unstoppable with the current game mechanics, and they only require large numbers with very limited skill sets to be “successful”.  The fact that the Devil’s Brigade prides itself on reaching such a low rung of "success" in AH (while also dying in mass to do so) and that you also see this derision as a sign of success, is what really makes you a topic people like to poke at.  

I don’t think that hordes are really good for the game (and could be reduced with aircraft-per-base limitations), but I do agree that the AH ecology needs its prey and its predators alike.  In that sense, under the current game design, the vSquad serves a purpose: they’re the pack animals, a herd continuously roaming the AH landscape “feeding” on base after base -- largely unstoppable due to their numbers.  But, they in turn feed the predators, who get to cull the herd of their weak and their lame.   (Hmmm… I may have to save that line as a response to my next PM from “You shot down vDallas”.  :))

At any rate, I respectfully suggest we let the Brigade play the game how they wish.  Laugh at their methods if you must.  But, ultimately, you get to decide for yourself if you want to be a predator or if you want to be the prey.

<S> Brigade

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:30:16 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Mojava

• Nickel Member
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2012, 05:59:35 PM »
 I flew with VDallas and the Devils several years ago, it was a lot of fun. They are very mission oriented, stick together and have a good time.  I got no problems with them. :aok

Offline Mojava

• Nickel Member
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2012, 06:01:20 PM »
 I flew with VDallas and the Devils several years ago, it was a lot of fun. They are very mission oriented, stick together and have a good time.  I got no problems with them. :aok

Offline Mojava

• Nickel Member
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »
 Yaahh  Double post !!  :old:

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2012, 06:43:05 PM »
OK, I'll admit I jumped the gun and placed my anger towards the vDudes when my real problem is with the folks on my side that won't up to meet the challenge. I too was once a vDallas groupie. Except everyone called us OREOS  :o  I got tired of getting my butt kicked by the likes of BluKitty, SkyRock, Shawk, BearKats, Lynx and all the rest. Decided to learn how to dogfight and beat these guys by myself. Still working on that part, but here I am 3 or 4 years later having forgot what it's like to be a noob around here.

So having said that, I will respect the vDudes right to play the game anyway they see fit, from here on out.  :salute

It always helps to read all the different opinions being posted in order to get a clear perspective on things. :)

Lighten up Francis

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2012, 06:49:34 PM »

stuff...

Like i have told others, the Brigade has changed a lot since a lot of yall were members. It has some in the past 2-3 months and it still is changing. The squad in a whole is moving to a more rounded style of play. We do a lot more than take bases nowadays.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2012, 07:20:12 PM »
Like i have told others, the Brigade has changed a lot since a lot of yall were members. It has some in the past 2-3 months and it still is changing. The squad in a whole is moving to a more rounded style of play. We do a lot more than take bases nowadays.

Personally, I haven't seen anything to support your claims of "change".  In fact, in a recent PM exchange with vDallas (after shooting him down, in a 30+ plane horde, of course) he essentially told me: "We got the base.  That's all we focus on.  Losses don't matter to us."  I'm pretty sure I was in flight at the time of our PM exchange.  Would you like the film? You and he may want to get on the same page before making claims for your squad on the forum.

I'm still left wondering, though, if you actually read what I posted.  I more-or-less defended (or at least explained) what you guys do.  Did you notice Uptown's change of tone at all?

It may be that you're still trolling for the derision on this forum that you said in your other thread (and on your own forum) you base some measure of "success" on.

Either way, good luck to you and the squad with that.

<S>
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:33:03 PM by Kingpin »
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »

Personally, I haven't seen anything to support your claims of "change".  In fact, in a recent PM exchange with vDallas (after shooting him down, in a 30+ plane horde, of course) he essentially told me: "We got the base.  That's all we focus on.  Losses don't matter to us."  I'm pretty sure I was in flight at the time of our PM exchange.  Would you like the film? You and he may want to get on the same page before making claims for your squad on the forum.

I'm still left wondering, though, if you actually read what I posted.  I more-or-less defended (or at least explained) what you guys do.  Did you notice Uptown's change of tone at all?

It may be that you're still trolling for the derision on this forum that you said in your other thread (and on your own forum) you base some measure of "success" on.

Either way, good luck to you and the squad with that.

<S>

Once again you are judging the squad off of one member. You only see what you want to see. You don't see what really goes on with the squad.

Yes i do find it funny that some many people hate us. I think is very funny that someone can get so frustrated about something that goes on in a game.

Lets stop beating the ol same dead horse here.

Why do i need film? would it make you feel better if i watched it and saw that you judged an entire squad off of one person?

I don't need to be on the same page as him. All of our members bring something different to the table. Dallas enjoys taking bases. So we take bases from time to time.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2012, 08:02:55 PM »
I think the real question is WHY would anyone have a problem with the vTards?  They die just like everyone else, they just do it together.  I will always be perplexed as to why they are all so willing to die while their fearless leader lands his perch kills while directing traffic.  Seems to me leadership has a two word definition:  FOLLOW ME...I don't see that happening much there but I'm not in that squad so I get to continue to be perplexed and slightly amused at the sheep led to slaughter.

So, vGuys, do your thing...and remember, its ok to complain UP the chain...you just can't complain down, lol.  (credit:  Saving Private Ryan and words to live by in both the military and the biz world)
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2012, 08:13:54 PM »
Once again you are judging the squad off of one member. You only see what you want to see. You don't see what really goes on with the squad.

Yes i do find it funny that some many people hate us. I think is very funny that someone can get so frustrated about something that goes on in a game.

Lets stop beating the ol same dead horse here.

Why do i need film? would it make you feel better if i watched it and saw that you judged an entire squad off of one person?

I don't need to be on the same page as him. All of our members bring something different to the table. Dallas enjoys taking bases. So we take bases from time to time.

I offered the film for YOUR benefit, not mine.  It seems you don't care that what vDallas says about your squad contradicts what you say.  So, I'll leave it at that.  

I also said I don't think your squad is hated (try reading above).  I said you are not respected, because horde base takes are considered easy by many in the community.  Unfortunately, this is all based on what you are SEEN doing (taking bases in large hordes), not what you claim to be doing that nobody else can see.

Lastly, I am not judging you.  I am stating my perspective on how you are viewed by the community.  Remember, YOU started this post with "Tell us what you really think of the DEVILS=v=BRIGADE."

You dragged the dead horse into the yard and handed out the bats, sir.

<S>

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2012, 08:21:02 PM »
I understand this because its how I look at it but when I know the odds are not in my favor anymore its time to BnZ those 5 cons trying to gang you.

You have to look at it how those that are of low skill level they dont know how to get a kill, sometimes ppl feel this is the only way of making said kills.

It will never change.

Adapt and Own.  :salute

Doc, understand some of us have been doing this a heckuva lot longer then you and we are further down the road.  Our expectations have changed.  Yours will too if you stick around long enough.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »
<S> Devils Brigade.
I'll second that.

:salute Devils Brigade.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2012, 10:18:14 PM »
I offered the film for YOUR benefit, not mine.  It seems you don't care that what vDallas says about your squad contradicts what you say.  So, I'll leave it at that.  

I also said I don't think your squad is hated (try reading above).  I said you are not respected, because horde base takes are considered easy by many in the community.  Unfortunately, this is all based on what you are SEEN doing (taking bases in large hordes), not what you claim to be doing that nobody else can see.

Lastly, I am not judging you.  I am stating my perspective on how you are viewed by the community.  Remember, YOU started this post with "Tell us what you really think of the DEVILS=v=BRIGADE."

You dragged the dead horse into the yard and handed out the bats, sir.

<S>

The thing is no matter what we do is bad sportsman ship or its looked bad upon. We stole a base with 2 people as 1 wirb tried to defend it and that was look as taking a undefended base. Everything we do it is frowned upon. Im just asking why? Its cause of the reputation that the squad used to have and the leader that we have. Things are changing within the squad whether anyone wants to accept it or not.

<S> Sir.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »
I think most of the bad rep that you guys get is because of "you know who". There's been a few occasions when I've seen him bomb and bail just to avoid a death or 3. That kind of thing and the rude PMs that have been sent over the years just leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth. IMO a squad is made or broken by it's leadership.....

You seem to want to change your squad's image and I respect that. Lord knows it could use some good press for a change. But as long as vDallas continues to be involved I really doubt anything can change. He's just too well known for what he does.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2012, 10:41:14 PM »
I think most of the bad rep that you guys get is because of "you know who". There's been a few occasions when I've seen him bomb and bail just to avoid a death or 3. That kind of thing and the rude PMs that have been sent over the years just leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth. IMO a squad is made or broken by it's leadership.....

You seem to want to change your squad's image and I respect that. Lord knows it could use some good press for a change. But as long as vDallas continues to be involved I really doubt anything can change. He's just too well known for what he does.

And, he isn't going to change.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba