Author Topic: P-47d40 vs. P-47d25  (Read 16375 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
Re: P-47d40 vs. P-47d25
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2012, 07:06:43 AM »
in the jug vs zeek matches, you can just run and pick. Exactly what you did.

Which is basically how US planes fought Japanese by the end of the war.

I once asked a US WWII F6 pilot about how bad the visibility was on his 6 (rear of F6) and he said "if I missed the zero I was not about to turn around anyway so it did not matter".  :old:
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2012, 07:24:52 AM »
And what you would like to say with that?
"DFC - promoting air combat maneuvering in a horde monkey world"
Once again, im not expecting anyone turning a jug with a zeek, hurri, brew or spit. But the jug isnt half as bad, a good jug pilot can successfully scissor with many planes.
More than possible if someone is riding on his good K/D, he isnt a fighter type. And takes absolutely no skills to run from every situation when they have the slightest chance to get you. Thats my point.
AoM
City of ice

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2012, 07:31:03 AM »

can you beat Latalis in the JUG?( I highly doubt it)

Yes! well at least when I played.

I agree in comparison to a ki84 the JUG is ponderous at best but don't underestimate the mighty FAT ONE!

You just may run into one that might suprise you  :D  But then again, the thought of playing this game again gives me a headache :(

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2012, 08:23:06 AM »
Debrody I agree with you that it can be a blast to fully engage a turn-fighter-plane (Spit etc.) with a boom-and-zoomer (P47 etc.).  Of course hybrid birds too.  In either case to engage in close combat. 

Many try to do that because it is a blast.   I do...and die a lot but I don't care about my score.  That is why I ask so many questions I think.  To understand these birds at deeper levels where minor things can matter.  Especially in close combat.

Then again, sometimes I just boom-and-zoom when encountering a horde.  Stick and move.  No latching.  Latching = death.
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2012, 09:02:13 AM »

Yes! well at least when I played.

I agree in comparison to a ki84 the JUG is ponderous at best but don't underestimate the mighty FAT ONE!

You just may run into one that might suprise you  :D  But then again, the thought of playing this game again gives me a headache :(

JUGgler

latalis is the only one that surprised me flying the JUG, I would like to see you guys go at it, I think he would win.

I am talking at your best him his...then again I don't remember fighting you in it, if we did, I stand by what I say because I will always remember fighting Latalis he pulled moves in that thing that No one else has...

obviously no dis respect to ya, just saying what I feel is all...

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »
This is a great article:

CAPTAIN LEROY V. GROSSHUESCH

http://webpages.charter.net/jimdoss/12to1/GROSSHUESCH.htm

basically an excerpt from a book called "Fighter Combat Tactics in the Southwest Pacific Area" This book is a compilation of articles of the most successful USAAF P-47, P-38 and P-51 pilots. They all say the same thing, keep up your speed, boom and zoom, extend take head on, snap shots and extend. Do not turn past 90 degrees if you want to survive.

While not as exciting or fun as turning with a closely matched opponent, in an Axis v Allies, it's fun to recreate the tactics of our best pilots~ in historical match ups. Ki Tonys with their good speed, climb rate and firepower are a real handful.

Some good stories in that book, inexpensive paperback if you are interested in that arena.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2012, 12:47:30 PM »
So you still wanna prove how awesome it is to run and ho? My mind is blown.  :bhead :bhead
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:58:58 PM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »
This is a great article:

basically an excerpt from a book called "Fighter Combat Tactics in the Southwest Pacific Area" This book is a compilation of articles of the most successful USAAF P-47, P-38 and P-51 pilots. They all say the same thing, keep up your speed, boom and zoom, extend take head on, snap shots and extend. Do not turn past 90 degrees if you want to survive.

While not as exciting or fun as turning with a closely matched opponent, in an Axis v Allies, it's fun to recreate the tactics of our best pilots~ in historical match ups. Ki Tonys with their good speed, climb rate and firepower are a real handful.

Some good stories in that book, inexpensive paperback if you are interested in that arena.

You realize there was a war going on and when you died in that war...you died.

This is a game, you die and you can re-up. Am I guilt free of whining when I die a stupid death in AH? No, but I move on.
I play this WW2 *combat* flight simulator for the fight. If you want to play a *combat* flight sim to fly in a circles and straight lines, then do it offline with the drones.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »
You realize there was a war going on and when you died in that war...you died.

This is a game, you die and you can re-up. Am I guilt free of whining when I die a stupid death in AH? No, but I move on.
I play this WW2 *combat* flight simulator for the fight. If you want to play a *combat* flight sim to fly in a circles and straight lines, then do it offline with the drones.

Who do you think you are to tell someone how to fly in a game, even if that remotely described me? I mix it up and get killed all the time flying dozens of different aircraft and gvs. I don't fly like my parents are going to get a letter and my effects in a box if I die  :rofl.

I prefer not to fight like an idiot and do more killing than dying~ BnZ is *combat* and I like to kill dummies like you so you can have the opportunity to reup and die again, glad you are ok with that :aok

More than that, the best part of the game is the teamwork and relationships with the people I play with and against~ great community.

~ Flame on!

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2012, 02:01:48 PM »
Who do you think you are to tell someone how to fly in a game, even if that remotely described me? I mix it up and get killed all the time flying dozens of different aircraft and gvs. I don't fly like my parents are going to get a letter and my effects in a box if I die  :rofl.

I prefer not to fight like an idiot and do more killing than dying~ BnZ is *combat* and I like to kill dummies like you so you can have the opportunity to reup and die again, glad you are ok with that :aok

More than that, the best part of the game is the teamwork and relationships with the people I play with and against~ great community.

~ Flame on!

I'd like to see you try.  :)

Try not to auger into the ground.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2012, 02:50:34 PM »
I'm a pretty dern good jug pilot and I tend to agree with Jetsom. At MA altitudes with equal pilots a KI-84 is more than a match for a Jug. The key to fighting a superior climbing/turning aircraft is maintaining speeds above 250 which is why I say the jug has a chance till it runs out of altitude at which time it will be tough to maintain those speeds while the KI sets up the perch. Sure a jug could extend and come back with a full head of steam but that would be a totally new fight IMO.

I dont pretend to be the best jug lilot in game but I think I might last longer than 3 turns though.

"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2012, 03:16:37 PM »
This is a great article:

I like this article and squad  :devil
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2012, 03:55:34 PM »
I'm a pretty dern good jug pilot and I tend to agree with Jetsom. At MA altitudes with equal pilots a KI-84 is more than a match for a Jug. The key to fighting a superior climbing/turning aircraft is maintaining speeds above 250 which is why I say the jug has a chance till it runs out of altitude at which time it will be tough to maintain those speeds while the KI sets up the perch. Sure a jug could extend and come back with a full head of steam but that would be a totally new fight IMO.

I dont pretend to be the best jug lilot in game but I think I might last longer than 3 turns though.

Definitely need to get your licks in, in the vertical when you can work the flaps without killing all your e. Ki and D11 are the same speed up to 7k WEPed out and the Ki has better climb rate below 20k. I'm sure on the deck merges with Jetsom are going to make for some tough fights.

What Jug do you favor?

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2012, 04:29:36 PM »
Definitely need to get your licks in, in the vertical when you can work the flaps without killing all your e. Ki and D11 are the same speed up to 7k WEPed out and the Ki has better climb rate below 20k. I'm sure on the deck merges with Jetsom are going to make for some tough fights.

What Jug do you favor?

tough fights? you will see :D

but I am willing to give you some kind of chance...we should do 5 on the deck 5 at 5K, 5 at 10K, 5 at 15K, 5 at 20K, 5at25K, ECT ECT   we will keep going up till you win 5 in a row....

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2012, 04:46:42 PM »
tough fights? you will see :D

but I am willing to give you some kind of chance...we should do 5 on the deck 5 at 5K, 5 at 10K, 5 at 15K, 5 at 20K, 5at25K, ECT ECT   we will keep going up till you win 5 in a row....

You are very kind~

Lets start at 25k and we could put this to bed quickly.  :devil

Lets just shoot for best of 10 and have some fun, don't need to make a career out of this match up. Should be pretty clear who is more capable in their ride after 5 fights.