Author Topic: Airsoft  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Airsoft
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 05:29:22 PM »
I heard someone say that the .20g bbs will reduce the fps by a decent amount, can anyone confirm?
You're trying to drive a something with more mass with the same amount of energy. Logically it will have a slower muzzle velocity.
FPS doesn't really mean much, however, and heavier bbs will always have a longer effective range as long as you can get them going 300FPS ish at the muzzle... below that things get a bit slow.
Really .20g bbs are the absolute lightest you should ever use. .12g bbs, as well as being way too light, are never well made. Casting nipples and deformities are terrible for accuracy, bbs should be as slow and regularly shaped and weighted as possible. When I was more into the sport Airsoft Elite bbs were the best bang for your buck, however other companies may have started putting out better stuff now.

But just as an example of bb weights, Tokyo Marui guns with fixed hopups are set for .25g bbs. These are Japanese guns with fairly low FPS (Japanese limit is 1J muzzle energy, Maruis usually shoot around 300FPS with a .2g). .2g bbs ARE light. Don't go lighter.

Also the advertized FPS, especially on a Chinese gun, will generally reflect the velocity you'll get with a brand new gun without a broken in spring with a .12g bb and a 30mph tailwind.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:30:59 PM by Motherland »

Offline AceHavok

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 11:41:48 PM »
Thanks Motherland,

I have decided to go with the Thompson.  I was looking at a lot of reviews and some people actually said for how short the barrel is, It's extremely accurate.  (Also, I think it looks pretty sexy)  :)
Currently inactive.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 11:55:02 PM »
I'm considering building an air soft tank with a friend this fall, Tiger tank with a breach load that uses the 40 mm grenade launcher shells, however I have no idea how an engine would couple to a hydraulic unit to power it, I have know how on how :( that stuff works, engine basics I have, hydraulics however not at all in a sense to use with a drive system
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2012, 12:06:14 AM »
It doesn't necessarily need to have a hydraulic turret. If you take something like a John Deere Gators, up-armor it, and stick a long-barreled potato cannon on top, you get the same effect.

If you really want to go authentic, most MILSIM events will allow you to bring your own vehicle, and make a technical out of it. one guy actually mounted an airsoft .50 cal Browning to the bed of his truck. Was really sweet.
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2012, 12:25:43 AM »
It doesn't necessarily need to have a hydraulic turret. If you take something like a John Deere Gators, up-armor it, and stick a long-barreled potato cannon on top, you get the same effect.

If you really want to go authentic, most MILSIM events will allow you to bring your own vehicle, and make a technical out of it. one guy actually mounted an airsoft .50 cal Browning to the bed of his truck. Was really sweet.
Really don't want to have to get the dents out of my truck, I mean a piston pump drive to actually move the vehicle. I Want to make what these guys did but with air soft instead of paintball, design isn't a problem, friend already scaled it down to the exact proportions we need for a 3 man crew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2-JE_Skdf0

Once I get past the engine, hydraulics and treads problem I might have a chance  :rolleyes:

These guys have a company and will actually make those tanks for you if you have enough money, I figure building my own may save money if I can try to understand, I have basic tools, drills and nail gun, I'm planning on getting a welder, I asked a while back on here about them.

Here's the website of the people who made the tiger tank http://www.tankco.biz/
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:00:52 AM by F22RaptorDude »

Offline AceHavok

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2012, 05:00:33 PM »
The field I'm going to has about 3 or 4 tanks that they use occasionally.  I think they only use it when there is like 400+ players.
Currently inactive.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2012, 06:23:43 PM »
The field I'm going to has about 3 or 4 tanks that they use occasionally.  I think they only use it when there is like 400+ players.
Are they home made? i've seen some that are real tanks but toned down for airsoft and paintball duty

Offline AceHavok

• Nickel Member
Currently inactive.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2012, 09:46:42 PM »
There's a company in Massachusetts that will actually build authentic, to-scale working replicas of German panther and tiger tanks. I always wanted to get one made, and modify the gun to fire an extremely long-barreled potato cannon.

Costs over 600k though. Just a wish I guess
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »
Tanks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USJSYm2iJOo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuYy9QowXuM&feature=related

Link 2:  Tank @ 1:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps5iQ72341U&feature=related
There's a company in Massachusetts that will actually build authentic, to-scale working replicas of German panther and tiger tanks. I always wanted to get one made, and modify the gun to fire an extremely long-barreled potato cannon.

Costs over 600k though. Just a wish I guess
Building your own saves money, however I do want something more sophisticated than a go kart with a  box on it :/

Offline AceHavok

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2012, 09:50:12 PM »
Guess you gotta get lucky with the lotto. :P
Currently inactive.

Offline AceHavok

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »
Still amazing, $600,000 for a replica tank?  I'm guess it doesn't have the 2 inches of sloped steel armor.  :D
Currently inactive.

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2012, 09:58:21 PM »
Nah, me and my friend can build one for less than 10K with a full set of Hydroluic track drive, but what we are thinking right now is getting a design together, emailing that company I linked you and see how much they would require for a ply wood frame and turret with the engine, meand my friend could make the barrel, ammo rack and I have a few idea's for myself since i'd be driving, also I have a wicked cool paint job in mind :D

Offline AceHavok

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2012, 10:00:15 PM »
Is it an American Tank?
Currently inactive.

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2012, 10:05:35 PM »
Is it an American Tank?
Not sure, its going to be something completely custom, so since we designed it, and its being made by some Americans, so I assume it would be :P

I'll post the sketches when they are made, i'm thinking technical stuff, like a camera set up to allow me to see outside, some fans to keep it not so hot inside, and other idea's