Author Topic: A Cautionairy Tale: Video Drivers  (Read 1485 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
A Cautionairy Tale: Video Drivers
« on: June 20, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »
About 2 weeks ago I updated my video drivers to the latest and greatest.  I run a batch file before starting the game that reduces my Win7 processes to 32. I don't run a firewall and my AV automaticly shuts itself off when a game goes full screen.

The new drivers made a few things in the game look better and didn't seem to affect my frame rates. But, I started to experience constant rubber bullets and I had to unclock my video memory back to the factory default becasue I was getting (AcesHig.exe) CTD game errors to the desktop. It was funny becasue it was an old problem I had gotten finaly rid of last year with a new video card.

The CTD problem was based on 2 scenario:

1. Rapidly shooting a 5incher while looking into the sun with a giant furball and battle noises raging around the ship.
2. In the middle of a giant furball low over an airfeild with loud noises and constant VOX chattter.

Resource exhaustion.

My Varyence and Delay was flat except for a perodic sharp spike at an interval of half the distance of the Varyence and Delay  view screen. My Host Queue time was it's usual range from flat to strange spiking semi-square waves that often indicated 2 of the Texas routers between my house and the game server were dropping packets again.

Last night I finaly got tired of 2 weeks of the rubber bullets. I rebooted my router and checked my path with pingplotter. For once none of the Texas hops were showing errors or dropping packets. My Host Queue time reflected this but, that periodic spike in a flat Varyence and Delay line was still there. When I had the previous drivers installed that spike never showed up.

I closed the game and rolled my video drivers back to the previous version. Started the game back up and logged into the MA and my rubber bullets were gone. Cons were once again going boom while flying through my bullet streams rahter than me emptying my magazines into a con from 100 yards watching on full zoom and they fly away. This could be coincidence on a grand scale but, with that single sharp spike gone from my Varyence and Delay line I stopped having rubber bullets.

Be careful thinking newer drivers for your video card means better AH game performance. Most of the time nothing will happen and the game will run like you expect it to.

You might want to keep a few recent versions of your vdeo card's drivers handy. If you are comfortable with uninstalling and installing video drivers, it's one place to test changing if you are having strange rubber bullets, frame rate issues or CTD's. Admitedly sometimes newer drivers will be the solution to these issues.

Only after eliminating the possible source as errant firewalls, AV programs, too many processes running in the background and pingplotter showing you routers dropping your packets. Or even bad hardware in your machine. This is a cautionairy tale about one possible tool to help your game experience.

My video card is an ATI HD 6770 1G.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: A Cautionairy Tale: Video Drivers
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »
I'll have said this before, but the best video card driver is normally the last driver a company puts out before they change the GPU architecture for the next generation video card.  In terms of stability, those drivers are normally the best that will ever be for that generation of video card.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 05:30:22 PM »
what's the version you rolled back to?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 06:18:14 PM »
12-1_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe

12-4_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe screwed my pooch.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 07:41:51 PM »
Do you use CCC or have it loaded up when Windows starts?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 09:34:42 PM »
I know about the CCC problems. It loads at start on my PC. I don't have any of the reported problems CCC loading at startup. Is there a better ATI compatible program to custom control gamma and memory speed at startup not as offensive to the gameing community?

I'm using it to raise my gamma at the desktop coupled with the game gamma. Otherwise using the game gamma "only" dosen't brighten the overall AH world very well. The textures tend towards a lower luminesence quality especialy near the ground chasing cons and in the cockpit. If I had ever had any of the CCC problems I would have disabled it. I keep the AMD External Events service disabled.

I've also tested and calibrated the color and gamma on my LCD monitor. No I don't have the 50k altitiude dark cockpit issue. I just have a low texture luminesence issue corrected with a combination of increasing my desktop gamma to 2.20 and game gamma at 1.9. Otherwise many maps at 12:00 noon look more like they are 4:00 to 6:30 pm. I've often wondered if HTC's 15k-17k haze layer may be exaserbating that at 12:00 noon.

The 12.4 drivers introduce 2 new architecture leveraging features which are not in the architecture of the 6xxx family. They are supposed to not act upon older generation architecture if it's detected. Both ATI and NVIDIA have been very bad about things like this not working per their readme's explanations over the years and not telling the end user.

When I raised my vid memory speed to match my FSB I probably exaserbated one of the features trying to interact with my 6xxx generation card. Useing 12.1 I could run the overclocked memory and not CTD nor see the flat Varyence and Delay with the periodic sharp spike which always peaked at the first marker below "1", along with 2 weeks of rubber bullets.

Rolling back to 12.1 removed the CTD, spike and rubber bullets.

I'm happy. I make things go boom again and a lesson learned.

Whats the beef?

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 12:52:25 AM »
Ran a monitor on my video card tonight after rolling back to 12.1 while I played the game for 4 hours in large loud furballs.

I reclocked my memory up to 1330Mhz. Memory dynamic and dedicated never went above 448M combined. GPU Load only 91%. Memory speed never went above 1328.1 Mhz. I found last year changing the stock GPU speed causes problems so left it at 900Mhz which works fine for Aces High.  It's an April of 2011 generation ATI 6xxx family card.

The 12.4 drivers with new generation enhancemnts were a version too far for my card.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 02:54:18 PM »
I know about the CCC problems. It loads at start on my PC. I don't have any of the reported problems CCC loading at startup. Is there a better ATI compatible program to custom control gamma and memory speed at startup not as offensive to the gameing community?

ATI Tray Tools is far better than CCC and allows you all the options you have available through CCC and more.  It is also far less resource intensive than CCC as it isn't bloatware.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 02:37:35 PM »
Sorry Ack Ack,

I'm getting the expected startup errors with ATI Tray Tools not being able to hook a low level driver. It's failing to get an administrator level lock on key drivers during startup. Launching it by hand after startup the color profile fails to hold when I switch between different programs if the program has any kind of a color control becasue of the lack of exclusive lock. When that happens I have to pull up the ATI TT color control each time to return control to ATI TT.

Is there a fix for this under WIN7 64bit? I've checked the blogs and they seem a bit hit and miss trying to solve this issue at startup.

You can see the exclusive lock that CCC has by running the application Quick Gamma. When CCC is running it has the low level lock and QG cannot hook the drivers to show the current gamma level or control it. When ATI TT is running QG takes control and shows the current gamma level. Then I have to launch ATI TT's color control to get back the gamma I've set at the desktop.

ATI TT beleives AH's Ctrl-I FPS counter is running 2-3 FPS low. As for bloatware I have 8G RAM and reduce my running services\processes to 30-32 with a batch file before starting the game. The CH CMC and TrackIR5 aren't Twiggies themselves.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline LCAMerciful

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 09:23:24 PM »
Sorry Ack Ack,

I'm getting the expected startup errors with ATI Tray Tools not being able to hook a low level driver. It's failing to get an administrator level lock on key drivers during startup. Launching it by hand after startup the color profile fails to hold when I switch between different programs if the program has any kind of a color control becasue of the lack of exclusive lock. When that happens I have to pull up the ATI TT color control each time to return control to ATI TT.

Is there a fix for this under WIN7 64bit? I've checked the blogs and they seem a bit hit and miss trying to solve this issue at startup.

You can see the exclusive lock that CCC has by running the application Quick Gamma. When CCC is running it has the low level lock and QG cannot hook the drivers to show the current gamma level or control it. When ATI TT is running QG takes control and shows the current gamma level. Then I have to launch ATI TT's color control to get back the gamma I've set at the desktop.

ATI TT beleives AH's Ctrl-I FPS counter is running 2-3 FPS low. As for bloatware I have 8G RAM and reduce my running services\processes to 30-32 with a batch file before starting the game. The CH CMC and TrackIR5 aren't Twiggies themselves.

That's why I have drivers installed without CCC.  I run ATI Tray Tools with Win 7 64bit with no issues (v 1.7.9.1531).  If you dig around the website you can find the drivers that don't include CCC.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 09:37:08 AM »
I run an ATI Radeon HD 5770's, which do you recommend would be the most stable video card Drivers?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 02:55:26 PM »
That's why I have drivers installed without CCC.  I run ATI Tray Tools with Win 7 64bit with no issues (v 1.7.9.1531).  If you dig around the website you can find the drivers that don't include CCC.

How specificly do you get around the low level lock error at startup?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »
After googling a bit I went back to the 11.12 drivers. I'll post if I see any improvement.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 08:11:47 PM »
  If you dig around the website you can find the drivers that don't include CCC.

Actually you don't even have to do that if you don't want. When installing the standard driver pack select a custom install instead of express and simply uncheck CCC. Voila--it won't get installed.

Was pretty sure you could get a "just the driver" file on the AMD download site and I just gave it a look but if it's there it's not obvious. Just do a custom install and you're good.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 07:18:18 AM »
I run a batch file before starting the game that reduces my Win7 processes to 32. I don't run a firewall and my AV automaticly shuts itself off when a game goes full screen.

bustr,  what's the batch file that you run?      I also don't run a firewall and I use Kaspersky AV which shuts itself down when i go full screen game.

<S>
=Anglo-Saxon=

ingame ID: Petrol