Author Topic: Climate change?  (Read 6613 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Climate change?
« Reply #300 on: July 16, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »
Look out the window ...

... otherwise known as the window.

you guys apparently have remarkable scientific intuition. it seems a shame for mankind to let it go to waste, perhaps you'd like to look at some old toenail clippings and tell us the cure for cancer? :D
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #301 on: July 16, 2012, 02:32:58 PM »
it's water CAP

eeeexxxxaaaacccctttlllllly!

so now, the next question, is who controls the water more? us or mother nature? especially considering it's been shown to be 70% of the greenhouse effect.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 02:40:51 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #302 on: July 16, 2012, 02:40:05 PM »
(which is also included in all the climate models, obviously)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #303 on: July 16, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »
would those be the models that were all proven to be tampered last year?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #304 on: July 16, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »
some parts of some of them yup. irrelevant now of course, since it was unearthed and the effects reviewed and corrected :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #305 on: July 16, 2012, 02:46:13 PM »
some parts of some of them yup. irrelevant now of course, since it was unearthed and the effects reviewed and corrected :aok

but now here's the biggie. how do we know we can trust those corrections?

and who controls water vapor, which is the largest greenhouse gas? certainly it cannot be man.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #306 on: July 16, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »
eeeexxxxaaaacccctttlllllly!

so now, the next question, is who controls the water more? us or mother nature? especially considering it's been shown to be 70% of the greenhouse effect.

well I sure do process a lot out as a by product of beer drankin.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #307 on: July 16, 2012, 02:50:21 PM »
well I sure do process a lot out as a by product of beer drankin.

that would be methane.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #308 on: July 16, 2012, 02:58:22 PM »
that would be methane.  :devil

Speaking of lot of crop dustin being done in the office today  :devil
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline narsus

• Silver Member
      • http://www.blueknightsdvb.com
« Reply #309 on: July 16, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »
So, by that logic. If we have greater temperatures there will be higher levels evaporation or surface water.
This would lead to more trapped infrared radiation emitted by the Earth, thereby warming the climate further.

Or we can make it a bit more interesting.

higher Temp = more evaporation = more water vapor in the air = more clouds = higher Earth albedo = more UV reflected back into space = less IR from Earth = lower temps

We can look at this a couple of ways:

Cloud cover is going to stop rising temps and eventually cool the planet.
or
Cloud cover has slowed warming somewhat but not enough.
or
So much water vapor in the air will drive temperatures higher.

There is definitely debate on which one of the above is occuring, or if it even makes that large a difference.

I am not going to debate if CO2 is leading to global warming, what I do recommend individuals pursue is looking at the raw data.
Don't read left or right wing sites with there own agenda. The temperature data is easily found and construct your own graphs, make your own conclusions. Do not just regurgitate
others opinions, and follow them blindly. My views have changed on the subject matter after throwing out preconceptions, and doing primary instead on secondary research.
This is what I tell my meteorology and environmental students. The hardest thing to do is look at data objectively, many people hate to be wrong (this goes for everyone).

What I will say is this though, the thought that humans have little impact on this environment is incorrect. We can look at many different areas to see this:
species hunted to extinction
extinction or endangered due to loss of habitat
smog/ground level ozone
acid rain
subsidence
mining (why hybrids as a solution is stupid, batteries suck to make and dispose of)

I digress, enjoy your day.

P.S. Sometime all it takes is a little nudge in a particular direction and systems can fall apart.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:09:06 PM by narsus »

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #310 on: July 16, 2012, 03:06:47 PM »
but now here's the biggie. how do we know we can trust those corrections?

and who controls water vapor, which is the largest greenhouse gas? certainly it cannot be man.

the datasets are all available and the software you'll need to check them is all open source. if you dont want to, theres 1,000s of people constantly reviewing the models. given the size of the both pro- and anti-AGW lobby and the fallout from climategate, this must be the most rigorously scrutinised science ever done.

we can effect water vapour and clouds fairly directly through deforestation, irrigation projects etc. and (the evidence seems to suggest) indirectly by effecting the global temps with our CO2 production (the drivers of the climate system feedback to each other remember.)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #311 on: July 16, 2012, 03:08:31 PM »
I am not going to debate if CO2 is leading to global warming, what I do recommend individuals pursue is looking at the raw data.
Don't read left or right wing sites with there own agenda. The temperature data is easily found and construct your own graphs, make your own conclusions. Do not just regurgitate others opinions, and follow them blindly. My views have changed on the subject matter after throwing out preconceptions, and doing primary instead on secondary research.
This is what I tell my meteorology and environmental students. The hardest thing to do is look at data objectively, many people hate to be wrong (this goes for everyone).

:aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #312 on: July 16, 2012, 03:13:50 PM »

The Sun.

Regards,
Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #313 on: July 16, 2012, 03:14:44 PM »
So, by that logic. If we have greater temperatures there will be higher levels evaporation or surface water.
This would lead to more trapped infrared radiation emitted by the Earth, thereby warming the climate further.

Or we can make it a bit more interesting.

higher Temp = more evaporation = more water vapor in the air = more clouds = higher Earth albedo = more UV reflected back into space = less IR from Earth = lower temps

We can look at this a couple of ways:

Cloud cover is going to stop rising temps and eventually cool the planet.
or
Cloud cover has slowed warming somewhat but not enough.
or
So much water vapor in the air will drive temperatures higher.

There is definitely debate on which one of the above is occuring, or if it even makes that large a difference.

Don't read left or right wing sites with there own agenda. The temperature data is easily found and construct your own graphs, make your own conclusions. Do not just regurgitate
others opinions, and follow them blindly. My views have changed on the subject matter after throwing out preconceptions, and doing primary instead on secondary research.

What I will say is this though, the thought that humans have little impact on this environment is incorrect. We can look at many different areas to see this:
species hunted to extinction
extinction or endangered due to loss of habitat
smog/ground level ozone
acid rain
subsidence
mining (why hybrids as a solution is stupid, batteries suck to make and dispose of)

I digress, enjoy your day.

P.S. Sometime all it takes is a little nudge in a particular direction and systems can fall apart.

You're forgetting the Coriolis effect.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline narsus

• Silver Member
      • http://www.blueknightsdvb.com
« Reply #314 on: July 16, 2012, 03:22:56 PM »
You're forgetting the Coriolis effect.

Not especially relevant to the topic at this time, if you want to include how air masses move, winds belts are generated and pressure systems rotate we could include that as well.

Though, more than likely you are just joking.