Author Topic: Two steps forward, one step back  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Two steps forward, one step back
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2001, 05:09:00 AM »

Originally posted by sky_bax:
The players get tools, contribute using those tools, and the Uterus gets put into action.

o.....k

Duma......what Sky_bax said.

Explain to me why HTC would bring out a map that people are just gonna take the p*ss out of.  I mean they aint stupid, they surely can SEE the map looks like a uterus.  . I mean why man, why?  Oh the humanity.  Wont somebody PLEASE think of the children.

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2001, 06:31:00 AM »
MA map designing and building is *not* an easy task and it takes nowhere close to 5 or 10 minutes.  Try it yourself and then come back talking smack against any map we have ever seen.

As soon as one of the talented player builders can come up with a map that will work in the MA then we'll probably see that map.  I didn't say that, it's a paraphase from HTC itself.  Yea, the player-built maps are cool.  Obviously they are not MA maps.

Fury

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2001, 07:55:00 AM »
 They already said, NO ONE made and submitted a MA type of map.

They were all huge: Med, Luzom, etc. or great looking but simple H2H furball pits.

And to why Nuttz left is best for Nuttz or Natedog to discuss or say. There's two sided to every story.  Speculation from the peanut gallery only muddles that picture.

Don't forget folks, quick and successive versions of AH made what terrains they made incompable with the MA before they could be used too.

And, once again. They said NO ONE submitted a balanced MA terrain to them. Keep in mind what you might think is furballing fun might be a sTRAGEDY guys nightmare and a sTRAGEDY guys fun could be a furballers horror.

This map? ugly? Who cares. Historical? Who cares. It's the MA and it's well balanced.

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 03-04-2001).]

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2001, 08:24:00 AM »
I like this map better than the last

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2001, 08:32:00 AM »
I have no problem with the new map. Or any map really.

What I have a problem with ARE THE SAME SKINS MAP AFTER MAP!

And that's honestly something that wouldn't take half as much time as actually creating the map (well implementation of player skins)

I'm tired of looking at the same old grass, tree and farm tiles.

Maps be damned, there's been alot of work on skins...to the point where you could have a skin rotation every reset with a little work.

A little variety would go a LONG way, don't ya think?

- Bess

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2001, 08:59:00 AM »
Oh well.  We get cloud banks in 1.06 anyway, that'll make it allllllll better.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2001, 10:23:00 AM »
There's a lot of difference between a terrain and a terrain for the main.  A small terrain with a dozen fields isn't what we're looking for.  They may be great for H2H or great for events but this is a different animal.  10bears and other have some really cool scenario terrains that will be coming online shortly, but that's what they are- scenario terrains.

I even contacted Verm asking if we could scale down his Med and rework the field layouts for a main and he said go for it.  We scaled it down to 250 miles across but couldn't come up with a field layout that would work for this.

I said this earlier but I think it got lost when the board crashed.  If anybody is interested in ideas for main arena terrains, you don't need to make the terrain, just show us a map.  Either find a real geographical location that would work or draw one up yourself.  Mark how you think the countries and fields should be laid out.  If it works, we'll make it.  

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

lazs

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2001, 10:34:00 AM »
eagl... i agree wholeheatedly.  It is not a map for fighters or for Navy planes.   If you like bombers or p51's you will probly be a cheerleader but most of us like fighters.

It would not be such a bad map tho if the field closure/ fighter hanger closure was not so easy and unrealistic.   A map like this really points out the flaws and sillines of the (choke) "strat" we have.  

eagl... I log on and if there is no action or fields close to the action... I just log back off.   A good fight in this terrain lasts about 5-10 minutes till the attention starved notice it, kill a building and stop it.  Really dumb strat.... really dumb bombing accuracy.... really dumb gameplay.
lazs

lazs

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2001, 12:03:00 PM »
voss said..... "I haven't had a problem finding furballs to feed off of"

Nooooo.... but, I guess it a matter of personal taste.   If "feeding" means 6 kills in seven and a half HOURS on line then.... I would say that your idea of "feeding" is slightly different than most folks.

some of us like just a tad more action.
lazs

Offline anRky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.domogarden.com
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2001, 12:40:00 PM »
I like the new map.  The gameplay sorta reminds me of Mage's second Big Pac map, only land based and not ridiculously huge.

I only wish there was a furball island stuck right in the middle of it.  

anRky
-Ih8ubb

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2001, 01:03:00 PM »
never mind-

[This message has been edited by mrfish (edited 03-04-2001).]

Offline Specterx

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2001, 01:18:00 PM »
I think that the new map and the old one are about equal. The new map might even be better, since it heavily restricts the offshore CV camping and doesn't have critical strategic targets spread out in the open.

If anything, the furballing is more intense than in previous maps - you don't have to fly 50 miles overwater, and there aren't as many different ways to reach the enemy territory, meaning that most of the aircraft are funneled through the choke points.

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2001, 02:02:00 PM »
I like the new map. I agree looked at complete it ain't pretty but I like the fact that when the war begins there are some form of boundaries(Mountains) between the sides. I think the way the ground battles have re appeared is great to. It does unfortunately seem to dumb down the fleets effectivness. If I could make a change it would be to make the map bigger (By about 25 miles per side and place water between the countries with the exception of a small strip joining them at the maps edge This would bring the fleet back into play and still allow a way through for the ground vehicles right from "The off". The ports should be located next to the joining strip so fleets would start only 25 miles apart (So people could still have their fleet battles)

Just my 2c worth

TTFN
sanfu

Offline Thog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2001, 02:59:00 PM »
No, me Thog. You not Thog. Thog not bird-who-eats-rats, Thog be Thog. You not be Thog.

Take Thog name in vain... what would rock think?

Thog

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2001, 03:01:00 PM »
I really don't understand how you guys are not finding fights here.  I log on, look for biggest red bar, take off that base, fight constantly until my hand hurts and log off.

Seems like I've already had more dogfights on this map than last tour, plus I get to divebomb vehicles again.