Author Topic: Two steps forward, one step back  (Read 1171 times)

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Two steps forward, one step back
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2001, 03:13:00 PM »
This was a MA map i was working on ( yes i've flown it it)

It's very hard to make a MA map that is well balanced for 3 teams in a square. Considering many variables, captured feilds,HQ,defensive, offensive, it is really hard. And after your done it resembles body parts Well here is one that i WAS working on and it resembles the New MA but has a twist. I have this set for 256x256 miles and have it in greyscale. Some coastal edges need to be widened for CV access ( was waiting for HTC to address Land/water properties)  Any mapmakers ( or HTC ) Want this greyscale, Email me and i'll send it.

NUTTZ

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2001, 03:22:00 PM »
Nice layout Nuttz, but such separation makes the arena almost totally dependant on CV's. It would be Fleet Flak gallore & Chog waves & n1k defense of fields all the time. In short, like the previous MA map. Also, I dont see ground war possibility there.

I love your other terrains! Use them in H2H a lot  

"If anybody is interested in ideas for main arena terrains, you don't need to make the terrain, just show us a map. Either find a real geographical location that would work or draw one up yourself. Mark how you think the countries and fields should be laid out. If it works, we'll make it."

Yes SIR PYRO! I will      

*gets out his crayons and gets to work*

Offline Graywolf

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flibble.org/~tim
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2001, 03:36:00 PM »

I'm actually getting to like the new map. As you move around a bit you find there is a lot more variety in it than at firat appears.

Also the fields are more spread and and it brings a the fight up to a more realistic altitude (OK, not much, but some). Bagged a couple of 190s above 20,000' in my Yak yesterday, much more interesting that playing 'dodge the looming ground' all the time =)

------------------
Graywolfe <tim@flibble.org>

Offline Brazos

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2001, 03:41:00 PM »
That's amazing,

It's been a decade since we saw a very simular map for AW. It was a good'n then, it will be just as popular with furballers now, imo. What blows me away is the good pilots asking for a pure furball arena. 30 kills per hour or bust, heheh. 8 player H2H would do a better job of insuring that kind'a fight. But I gotta admit, if your only into bombing out other player's bases, it ain't gonna make ya any friends.

I would love to see HTC take a campaign and offer two main arenas. One, a pure dogfight map with air-starts and no strat to get in the way. The second, a small, tight, strat arena for an air/ground battle. Vehicle bases along the front, and airfields farther back. This might focus the fight on the front, rather than hi-alt airbase ruining solo buff missions. Then we'd finally know which was more fun, strat ot dogfighting?

Braz

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2001, 03:45:00 PM »
I'll build one.  

------------------
***-*-

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2001, 03:49:00 PM »
Brazos, I don't see any reason to have terrain in HTH. Maybe, a field for people to rearm at, but even that is redundant to furballers. The host should have alt and spread controls, of course, but for terrain water is cool.  

------------------
***-*-

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2001, 03:53:00 PM »
Tac, I see your point. Thats why the P feilds are far from each other, You'll really need to plan ahead, it's a long trip to the enemy island, but not impossible ( thus, less relying on the CV's). The water ways in, have cliffs so the CV's can't pound a feild into submission with it's 8 inchers, Possible, but only with spotters. ( much easier to defend once enemy is on your homeland) I never was much of an ETO fan, my heart always was with PAC type terrains. My first PAC map had 3 different land masses. But theres always the problem child that will claim his/her land mass is weaker, kinda like the lower right land mass in the old MA, That always seamed to be the "losers" HQ.
NUTTZ

Originally posted by Tac:
Nice layout Nuttz, but such separation makes the arena almost totally dependant on CV's. It would be Fleet Flak gallore & Chog waves & n1k defense of fields all the time. In short, like the previous MA map. Also, I dont see ground war possibility there.

I love your other terrains! Use them in H2H a lot  

"If anybody is interested in ideas for main arena terrains, you don't need to make the terrain, just show us a map. Either find a real geographical location that would work or draw one up yourself. Mark how you think the countries and fields should be laid out. If it works, we'll make it."

Yes SIR PYRO! I will      

*gets out his crayons and gets to work*

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2001, 04:05:00 PM »
It's not that I can't find fights...  The new arena makes it easy to find fights.  There's just 2 things wrong:

1)  The fields are far enough apart that it takes a long time to get to the fight.  Easy to find, too far away.

2)  The arena setup makes it nearly impossible to find a 3-sided fight.  One side has to be nearly completely destroyed before you find a spot on the map with 3 sides all involved in one fight.  

This arena would be nearly perfect if I gave a hoot about field capture.  Since I don't, it represents a step backwards in enjoyment for me.  I'm not slamming Pyro and HTC since they obviously know something about game and player dynamics that I don't.  Otherwise they wouldn't consistently set up the arena to discourage shorter fight distances and multi-sided fights.  

I've got other things I can do, and they're still getting my money even when I don't fly much so it's not like HTC is losing anything with this terrain.  The training arena is still using the old terrain, so that's a better place to hang out and see if anyone wants any furball training.

------------------
eagl <squealing Pigs> BYA
Oink Oink To War!!!
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2001, 04:16:00 PM »
Looking at Nuttz' map has me wondering about more inshore waterways.  Too small for fleets but possible for PT boats.  Also close VHs but destroyable bridges to prevent them mounting offensives.

[This message has been edited by Fatty (edited 03-04-2001).]

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2001, 05:23:00 PM »
Sometimes I think PAINT is the only tool in windows that is actually worth having    

To see the map with a grid on it (10X10 grid with roughly the same dimensions as the current MA map.. I hope)
 www.crosswinds.net/~wraithfleethq/newmapwithgrid.jpg

Edited: Sorry about the crappy white static on the grid map, stupid paint program cant overlay stuff *grin*

Antyone offended by this artless finger painting has all the right to be. I cant draw a stick man, let alone a map  

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 03-04-2001).]

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2001, 06:40:00 PM »
Country 3 is isolated therefore at an advantage defensively

SKurj

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2001, 07:17:00 PM »
cc, perhaps add more mini-bases in little islands near country 3.  

TheWobble

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2001, 07:38:00 PM »

Country 3 is isolated therefore at an advantage defensively

Yes, but its also at an offensive disadvantage aswell so that makes up for its defensive advantage 1+ -1= 0  so it doesent have any REAL advantage.

Offline anRky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.domogarden.com
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2001, 09:32:00 PM »
Nope, I changed my mind.

I spent, I'd say, 95% of my time tonight flying to the fight, and maybe 2% chasing people who didn't want to fight.  

I ended up getting bored, and shooting every friendly Lanc I saw, just for what little fun I could find tonight.

A big thumbs down for the current map.

anRky
-Ih8ubb, but arena play sucks worse!

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2001, 12:34:00 AM »
btw, I hope that naval transports and landing craft be avaliable for this map.

The idea on that map is to have force concentrated on fronts (aka, North "no mans land" and the lower right and lower left sides) instead of base hopping and undercutting like in the old and current map. The 3 small islands surrounding furball island would serve as foward bases each team would literally NEED to take in order to hop to lower island (and top small island with LARGE base belonging to country 3  would allow country 3 to be a pain in the bellybutton for country 1 and 2).

Country 3 has 2 fleets vs the other nation's 1 fleet due to their isolation (and ports are way down there), while country 1 and 2 have more airfields to work with/more land to defend.

Thnx for feeback, I just wish I could do this in the terrain editor