Author Topic: Gun control laws do they work ?  (Read 17400 times)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
Re: Gun control laws do they work ?
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »
I'm not in a belligerent mood so I'll back out if this gets heated...

'needing too' vs 'may needing too'

Fear is still motivating one to prepare for the occasion.

I am concerned for my safety so I put on a seat belt every time I drive. I don't need it 99% of the time but in that one accident I was glad to have it.

Being prepared is not fear for I do not fear as I am prepared. 
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2012, 05:03:20 PM »
 I am concerned for my safety so I put on a seat belt every time I drive. I don't need it 99% of the time but in that one accident I was glad to have it.

Being prepared is not fear for I do not fear as I am prepared.  
I understand your point, but its a poor comparison...
1) You have roughly a 30 percent chance of being in a serious car crash during your life time.
2) Thankfully the chances of you being involved in gun violence is significantly less, by a very large margin.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2012, 05:52:59 PM »
I understand your point, but its a poor comparison...
1) You have roughly a 30 percent chance of being in a serious car crash during your life time.
2) Thankfully the chances of you being involved in gun violence is significantly less, by a very large margin.

It is as normal to me as keeping an umbrella in the car in case it rains.  That doesn't mean that I fear getting wet, but I would prefer not to.

Especially since I'm beating the odds so far, on that whole car crash, thing...   :furious

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2012, 06:06:38 PM »
It is as normal to me as keeping an umbrella in the car in case it rains.  That doesn't mean that I fear getting wet, but I would prefer not to.

Especially since I'm beating the odds so far, on that whole car crash, thing...   :furious

(Image removed from quote.)

eek, that looks painful...glad your alive.
Well watch out, you have a higher chance at being struck by lightning and if the umbrellea and your had are conductive... eekk  :O
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2012, 06:14:57 PM »
Ardy how to you equate refusing to be victimized with me being fearful or paranoid ? I do not carry my weapons with me unless I am going to go shoot . The EK are doing about a dozen home invasions a month here . The  reason I feel I need home defense weapons is this  . One my 80 yo father keeps a substantial amount of cash on him far more than a low level drug dealer will probably have . No amount of reasoning will get him to stop this . I think it has something to do with the Great Depression and being old enough to remember it . I have also had a few run ins with the local meth crowd . They stole some of my RC planes and I recovered them ,forcefully . My ex got into it and had my baby exposed to it and I was not shy about telling anyone in authority everything I learned about them . In an effort to keep my child away from it . In a small town sooner or later they will probably find out there is cash here . They are already doing home invasion robberies of people other than meth dealers . Making people afraid to testify . I have two meth heads I pay for information at times . It started when my ex had my kid at meth houses . I have been thinking about letting them know in a subtle manner that I am now armed . Hoping for a deterrence effect . Still not sure if that is better than the surprise effect . No ardy I am not in fear . I am a veteran . I have used deadly force before . I know how I will react . The training will take over I will do what is needed . The fear comes in when they are in my home and the only ones armed are the criminals . I refuse to be a victim . I am not paranoid . I think the odds are not that great that I will need to defend myself . When it comes to my families safety I am only willing to bet on the sure thing .
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:25:11 PM by hlbly »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2012, 06:18:13 PM »
Why are drug adicts not put onto islands and given a bed and bible?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2012, 06:27:19 PM »
Ardy how to you equate refusing to be victimized with me being fearful or paranoid ? I do not carry my weapons with me unless I am going to go shoot . The EK are doing about a dozen home invasions a month here . The  reason I feel I need home defense weapons is this  . One my 80 yo father keeps a substantial amount of cash on him far more than a low level drug dealer will probably have . No amount of reasoning will get him to stop this . I think it has something to do with the Great Depression and being old enough to remember it . I have also had a few run ins with the local meth crowd . They stole some of my RC planes and I recovered them ,forcefully . My ex got into it and had my baby exposed to it and I was not shy about telling anyone in authority everything I learned about them . In an effort to keep my child away from it . In a small town sooner or later they will probably find out there is cash here . They are already doing home invasion robberies of people other than meth dealers . Making people afraid to testify . I have two meth heads I pay for information at times . It started when my ex had my kid at meth houses . I have been thinking about letting them know in a subtle manner that I am now armed . Hoping for a deterrence effect . Still not sure if that is better than the surprise effect .

Oh I think you are extending what I said beyond what I indented. Your second sentence verifies that. I was referring to citizens who generally are not in harms way who espouse that they carry weapons on them frequently under the rational that they may need to use them, which you said you are not.  As for letting people know you are armed, I'd be careful with that you may attract attention you don't want. Sounds like Linn/Benton counties needs significant improvements to its police departments. When I was there, their police chief (Corvallis) was more interested in dolling out MIPs and speeding tickets than combating trailer park meth labs and their associated problems...

EDIT: I think in one of my previous posts, I explained that I do understand keeping a weapon in your house etc...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:31:30 PM by Ardy123 »
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2012, 06:40:05 PM »
Why are drug adicts not put onto islands and given a bed and bible?

Politics, politics, politics     :rofl
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2012, 06:45:15 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Politics, politics, politics     :rofl
:rofl
Occupation: Stand up philosopher, I coalesce the vapor of human experience into a viable and logical comprehension.
Oh a b-sh1$ artist...
Did you B-sh1$ this week?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF2RYhNhBdwp
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2012, 07:19:20 PM »
1) Angry Adult holding a grudge over a commedic BBS post days later? <check>
2) Tribalism perspective?  ('my way and f'u if you don't agree) <check>
3) Paranoid, so fearful that you need to be armed <check>

^^^^ clearly not in a rational state  of mind.

And they let you have guns? I rest my case. :salute

Your pathetic attempts at trolling are just that.  I don't hold a grudge against you.  I simply think you're an ignorant young person who hasn't lived yet, as I said in PMs when you messaged me.

Want to see what I posted in response to your ignorance?  Here you go:

Nice that you imagine you live in a fantasy world.  The real world is far somewhere between orderly and disordler, but it's certainly not the Wild West.  It's not even close to that.  However, there are criminals everywhere, and they'd be much happier knowing that Ardy doesn't want the tool to defend himself.

So your judgment on all of us that own 'military' equipment is that we live in anarchy or fantasize about it?  Stereotype much?  I'd venture to say that 99.9% of us don't own ANY military equipment, but civilian versions of said equipment.  There's quite a difference. 

Do you even know what you're saying?  Show me where an 'automatic' weapon was used in any of the crimes.  Do you know what's required to get one, and how regulated they are?  'Automatic' weapons aren't a problem.

I wasn't going to reply at first, but when a post has 3 strikes: imagination, stereotyping, and ignorance of the topic, I thought I'd chime in.

You're simply clueless, but you're entitled to your opinion.  But try debating when you know what you're talking about.

Oh -- again, like I said...safely from your computer.  You're absolutely a keyboard hero!
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2012, 07:27:51 PM »
I read through the rest of these posts, and it's obvious that Ardy does not want to comprehend the idea of having a tool IF it is needed, not out of fear.

It's not like a seatbelt...a device to help in an emergeny.

Everybody who has one is somehow living in, or fantasizing about anarchy...

Assumptions about gun owners and stereotyping them...

Then ignorance on what can be purchased, what 'might' be used 'in your kid's school', and enjoying the pushing of people's buttons from the safety of a computer.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »
Its a problem if you feel the need to protect yourself with guns. Its called a break down of society, and guns arn't going to fix that.

I disagree. I have stopped two felonies using firearms, apprehending several sonsasqueakes (in 1980 and 1996) in the process. It didn't change the culture, but it resulted in 5 low-lifes getting time upstate in the bend-over Hilton... I can't cure the culture issues, but I can promise that those who would do harm to me and mine will regret their decision, at once and continuously thereafter.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2012, 07:50:18 PM »
Mir,

Its clear with your childish defensive response, condescending rhetoric and disrespectful attitude you want to take the conversation up a notch...

thats not going to happen.

btw nice straw man arguemnt around purchasing and use of automatic weapons... good it should be difficult to acquire them.

I'll leave with this parting comment

EDIT: I pressed ctrl-w by accident...

There are may dangers in most people's lives that have a much greater chance of occurring than gun violence which people do not prepare for. Yet given these statistics people continue to argue that they need to be prepared for it. This at best suggests a missed placed set of priorities and is clearly an irrational argument. One can only conclude that it is fear that is motivating this irrationality.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:20:55 PM by Ardy123 »
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2012, 07:55:12 PM »

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:56:20 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2012, 07:57:05 PM »
Mir,

Its clear with your condescending rhetoric and disrespectful attitude you want to take the conversation up a notch...

thats not going to happen.

btw nice straw man arguemnt around purchasing and use of automatic weapons... good it should be difficult to acquire them.

I'll leave with this parting comment

I think you should just be put in your place, as you speak out of pure ignorance.  IF you had a clue, you wouldn't need to be talked to like a know-it-all kid who doesn't know it at all.

Straw man argument?  What argument -- it's a fact.  And it was to point out your ignorance on the topic of which you were trying to speak.  Had you said 'semi-automatic', there wouldn't have been a reply.  But you didn't, because you obviously don't know what you're talking about when it comes to firearms, and what is easily purchased, nor what is used. 

Here's a tip:  arm yourself with facts, then debate.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"