Author Topic: Gun control laws do they work ?  (Read 18349 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: Gun control laws do they work ?
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 02:41:48 PM »
Its a problem if you feel the need to protect yourself with guns. Its called a break down of society, and guns arn't going to fix that.  I'd like to imagine that I'm part of an orderly society and not a wild west shootout.

I know many have a preconceived notion of who I am, and that being said, I have shot many guns and have hunted animals, etc.. But never am I going to delude myself with the belief that I need military equipment to protect myself. Think about it, if you need military equipment, you either live in anarchy, or your fantasizing about living in an anarchic environment and guns are the least of your problems.

Crime is a serious issue, and to Hilblys experience, having lived very close to where Hilbly lives, its true that part of Oregon does suffer from a meth problem, but the problem is the meth, little opportunity, etc... and guns are not going to fix that. Furthermore, with over 100 million guns in circulation, I don't advocate for the elimination of the second amendment, nor do I think its reasonable, but taking the other extreme is equally unreasonable. With great power comes great responsibility, and frankly, I don't trust people with that responsibility. Enabling people to have tools to kill many people at once quickly is too risky for our society for us to take the attitude, "trust, until there is a breach of trust". How many people need to die, so some of us can have 'symbols' of freedom? What if it was your kid who got killed because some nutjob brought a automatic rifle to school?

EDIT: Scuzzy must be on vacation....

I would have the same sentiments if it was a deer rifle, a handgun or a shotgun.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 03:13:58 PM »
It is a break down of society.

So you have a gun.

I thank you.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:17:33 PM by zack1234 »
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 03:18:39 PM »
Edit:  Not worth it.  I'm done with Ardy and the ignorance.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:25:07 PM by katanaso »
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 03:33:15 PM »
It is a break down of society.

So you have a gun.

I thank you.

I'm sorry to have to go here, and I mean it in no personally or otherwise offensive way but more of a statement of fact:  The reality of "The sun never setting on the British Empire" is supposed to mean that there are places colonized by the British all over the world, correct?  I'm sure that this was not always an arraignment settled over a cup of tea or a tumbler of that filthy gin  :D  To have the notion that we are all savages is ridiculous and narrow-minded.  Besides, do you think a Cricket bat will be enough to protect your pies when the bogie man comes?

Bearing arms was how we won our independence.  Most countries realize this.  To allow ones citizens to be armed comes with the realization that the government will not be able to ever have complete and total control over the population.  

There is a breakdown of society in many places besides the US and it has nothing to do with with whether or not the people are armed or not.

If citizens want to revolt, they will find a way.  Stripping the Scottish of their right to bears arms didn't seem to deter them for fighting like badgers for their freedom.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »
Edit:  Not worth it.  I'm done with Ardy and the ignorance.

1) Angry Adult holding a grudge over a commedic BBS post days later? <check>
2) Tribalism perspective?  ('my way and f'u if you don't agree) <check>
3) Paranoid, so fearful that you need to be armed <check>

^^^^ clearly not in a rational state  of mind.

And they let you have guns? I rest my case. :salute

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:43:57 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 03:42:15 PM »
I'm sorry to have to go here, and I mean it in no personally or otherwise offensive way but more of a statement of fact:  The reality of "The sun never setting on the British Empire" is supposed to mean that there are places colonized by the British all over the world, correct?  I'm sure that this was not always an arraignment settled over a cup of tea or a tumbler of that filthy gin  :D  To have the notion that we are all savages is ridiculous and narrow-minded.  Besides, do you think a Cricket bat will be enough to protect your pies when the bogie man comes?

Bearing arms was how we won our independence.  Most countries realize this.  To allow ones citizens to be armed comes with the realization that the government will not be able to ever have complete and total control over the population.  

There is a breakdown of society in many places besides the US and it has nothing to do with with whether or not the people are armed or not.

If citizens want to revolt, they will find a way.  Stripping the Scottish of their right to bears arms didn't seem to deter them for fighting like badgers for their freedom.
I would like to add that the US is actually experiencing an all time low in violent crime nationally. And that's something to be proud about.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/06/11/12170947-fbi-violent-crime-rates-in-the-us-drop-approach-historic-lows?lite
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
1) Angry and holding a grudge over a sarcastic BBS post days later? <check>
2) Tribalism perspective?  ('my way and f'u if you don't agree) <check>
3) Paranoid, so fearful that you need to be armed <check>

^^^^ clearly not in a rational state  of mind.

And they let you have guns? I rest my case. :salute

Why do you keep saying that everyone that is armed is paranoid or fearful?  I am asking sincerely, not to create an argument out of it.  I have never in my life felt that possessing the tools with which to defend myself was the same thing as paranoia or fear. 

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »
Braveheart was nonsense the Scots betrayed each other for Land and title in England, and fought for the British Empire time and time again.

I agree with you von about the right to bear arms, if the scum are not being sorted by the state you can look out for your own.

Western Society is ineffectual in dealing with crime in general due to Liberal elites in its midst, who are not generally affect by said acts of crime.

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »
Why do you keep saying that everyone that is armed is paranoid or fearful?  I am asking sincerely, not to create an argument out of it.  I have never in my life felt that possessing the tools with which to defend myself was the same thing as paranoia or fear.  
The argument that keeps getting expressed is that they need to be armed to protect themselves at all times. I can understand having a gun at your house for rare occasions and while agree that police can't be there at times, this notion that our existence is so risky that we need that level security seems to suggest that fear may have gotten the better of us. Short of going to a range or the likes, I have thankfully never felt I need to carry one and I live in a large city that has fairly high crime. It saddens me that people are so afraid of their neighbors.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:13:48 PM by Ardy123 »
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2012, 03:59:04 PM »
Well, gun sales have been holding near the 2.5 million per month..
At the new year they spiked up to 5 million..
Manufacturers are back ordered so far, they have quit taking orders..
Every time someone talks about Firearms legislation, more people go
out and buy more guns.. With all that is happening right now???

This is like the writing on the wall, or the line in the sand..
It clearly shows the peoples mind on this issue!

DON'T FORGET!
2 x ESAPI Rifle plates, Gamma III+, Multi hit rated,
Tested vs 30/06 lake city AP.. Size Large..
260.00$ SecretCitySupply on Ebay..

Would ya rather have a 1000$ rifle???
Or a 700$ rifle and 300$ worth of Body Armor???
Think about it!

(edit) Night Vision devices and Gas Mask too..
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:18:18 PM by RngFndr »

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2012, 04:03:02 PM »
  Government is the problem not the solution. Like Zack said the Elites don't live in the same world we do. Many wish to take our Guns but would never disarm thier security detail.

Look at the "War on Drugs". Billions of dollars have been poured into the effort with the wrong goals. Drugs still can be had anywhere.

We take a young man on meth and put him in Jail where he learns to become a better criminal. He comes out with new connections and so on and so on.

Trying to force a society in a direction never works. We need better leaders not more lawyers that have been taught to lie and distort the truth.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2012, 04:10:02 PM »
Chicago has a no guns law and that city has a HORRIBLE murder rate.

In my town a man was recently beaten to death with a baseball bat. 

When baseball bats are outlawed, only outlaws will have baseball bats.

Don't get me started about a man who was murdered with a croquette mallett.

I prefer my .45 with ACP, personally.  My people have had guns since setting foot on this continent in the 1670's in the area of Richmond, VA.  Learning from elders about gun safety, proper firing, target practice, moving target practice has been a rite of passage for over 300 years.  I REFUSE to be a SUBJECT.  I will be a citizen, thanks.
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2012, 04:13:05 PM »
The argument that keeps getting expressed is that they need to be armed to protect themselves at all times. I can understand having a gun at your house for rare occasions and while agree that police can't be there at times, this notion that our existence is so risky that we need that level security seems to suggest that fear may have gotten the better of us. Short of going to a range or the likes, I have thankfully never felt I need to carried one and I live in a large city that has fairly high crime. It saddens me that people are so afraid of their neighbors.

I can understand people not wanting to carry a gun, but you seriously misunderstand the mentality of many who carry.  I don't carry because "I feel I need to," but rather because I recognize that at some point, I may need to defend myself and want to have the tool to do that.  That doesn't mean I'm fearful of others.  I'm a friendly, non-confrontational person.  Most people are quite surprised I am even a gun owner (gun owner stereotypes).
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2012, 04:21:08 PM »
I can understand people not wanting to carry a gun, but you seriously misunderstand the mentality of many who carry.  I don't carry because "I feel I need to," but rather because I recognize that at some point, I may need to defend myself and want to have the tool to do that.  That doesn't mean I'm fearful of others.  I'm a friendly, non-confrontational person.  Most people are quite surprised I am even a gun owner (gun owner stereotypes).

The sweet little old lady next door has a wiener-dog, an over landscaped house, is in her 80's, gets up at 5 AM and is lights out by 8:30 PM, loves home made chili, and HAS AN ARSENAL!  I always call and then call out verbally if I hear her intruder alarm go off and go to check on her.  Then again, I meet her coming out and she's got a .38 in each hand and I wave and show my .45.     

I was shocked she had an arsenal.  She was shocked I owned a hand cannon.
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 04:25:29 PM »

I'm not in a belligerent mood so I'll back out if this gets heated...

'needing too' vs 'may needing too'

Fear is still motivating one to prepare for the occasion.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:48:49 PM by Ardy123 »
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)