Author Topic: Any of you guys good at recognizing statues  (Read 10963 times)

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
Re: Any of you guys good at recognizing statues
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 10:36:07 AM »
Try google i mages search brozre Lion statue rider.
I wonder how many different peopel with different lions Masherbrum is going say have the right lion. Guess he has to be rigth eventually. :banana:
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »
Gotta love the personal attacks.  :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 12:30:03 PM »
Romanian / "lor lume" means "Their world"
Italian - means "their light"

I believe the reference "lor lumme" is possibly from a Guy Gilpatric book.

this just in...

It is indeed a euphemistic or 'minced oath' version of "God love me" - with the verb, here, in the optative mood ("may God love me" or "as I hope God loves me") to invoke the Deity as guarantor of the speaker's sincerity. An analogue is "corblimey" < "God blame me", that is, May God impute sin to me (if I'm not speaking the truth).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:53:15 PM by ToeTag »
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 12:57:50 PM »
Gotta love the personal attacks.  :aok

Yeah been savin gtheat  as a response to a post in another thread, the other thread was nice n purse fighty already  so  I decided to sit on that one. Maybe of someone would send me some famous homebrew id mello.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 08:24:29 PM »
He said twin lions :)

Teatro Massimo has two statues.  They are not identical but they both have a female rider  :aok

Yup, I knew that already.  I'd looked at both before I posted. 

I could easily be incorrect, but I don't believe either one is the statue we're looking for.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2012, 11:47:18 PM »
Had some fun googling for lion statues. I doubt it's the UK. That is somewhere hot by the look of it and he's not dressed like any GI on a visit to London would be. He's wearing fatigues.

The lions at the Teatro Massimo in Palermo are very similar but the background is wrong. So it could be Italy. But where? I wonder did he make it to Rome?

He was in every major battle that G Co. 180th Infantry regiment was in. I'd like to say it's after Anzio because in another picture we have, he talks about how skinny he got from getting sick in the opening part of the battle on the back. And he doesn't look much bigger in this picture. I'll try and scan it on here.

All in all, I'd still like to thank everybody who is helping me with this. Y'all deserve a big  :salute
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 12:31:21 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This is a picture of my grandfather at some point during the second world war. He was in the 45th Infantry Division from the beginning of the war to the end (G Co. 180th Infantry regiment)

My dad and I are finally starting to put together some of his old war letters and photos and we can't seem to find out where this picture was taken. I googled around but I haven't seen anything familiar and I was wondering if anybody may be familiar with where this statue is located so we can have a good idea of when this picture was taken.

Edit: There appears to be some kind of writing on the statue (Le Lura, or something like that) that I thought I should point out. I searched the phrase but still couldn't find anything.

Great picture and quest to find the location.  My moms oldest brother was in the Thunderbirds.  They sailed straight to North Africa from the US.  They arrived in 43, and my uncle said his duty was palace guard until they went to Sicily. Looks like he has a nice tan, maybe some place in Morocco?
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 01:32:11 AM »
I looked all over for lions around Morocco. 

Times do change.  My dads family lived along the Texas coast in the late 30's and early 40's.  Dad took me to Galveston, TX in the late 60's as a 6 year old.  Galveston had some abandoned ww11 shore batteries and pill boxes.  Then in the mid 90'.  To my surprise, they built a holiday inn on top of one of the artillery battery's.  Hope you find that lion!
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 02:50:52 AM »
i'm curious now, mind if i share it on a bigger sight?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 03:40:04 AM »
I dont have a picture but I think you are looking at (ironically) the statue of Lyric Opera (woman on a lion) standing before the Teatro Massimo opera house. There are two lion statues there both of which are different from one another. The other lion (not the one here) is usually the one photographed and I dont know why. That would be Palermo, Italy.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2012, 03:59:23 AM »
I dont have a picture but I think you are looking at (ironically) the statue of Lyric Opera (woman on a lion) standing before the Teatro Massimo opera house. There are two lion statues there both of which are different from one another. The other lion (not the one here) is usually the one photographed and I dont know why. That would be Palermo, Italy.
nope it is nether of those.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2012, 04:52:49 AM »
Yes. It is.

http://www.bigstockphoto.com/image-32937338/stock-photo-statue-of-lyric-opera-before-teatro-massimo,-palermo,-italy

nope :aok

look at the base, there is a much larger over hang on those and they are way above the stairs, whereas what he posted is right at the top of the stairs.....
 ....beside the whole body has a different stance then the one he posted....yes they are similar, but not the one he is looking for.

the one he posted, has more of a crouched down stance.....its head is lower...hell man the whole base is different :aok

not the same ones....unless they were completely changed  :neener:

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2012, 05:21:33 AM »
Yes. At the Opera they will tell you that during the war the less impressive statues were in place in order to save the originals. Paris did the same with a lot of their pieces in order to protect them from theft and/or damage. There are other possibilities but I think is the most likely.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2012, 05:30:29 AM »
Yes. At the Opera they will tell you that during the war the less impressive statues were in place in order to save the originals. Paris did the same with a lot of their pieces in order to protect them from theft and/or damage. There are other possibilities but I think is the most likely.

hmmmmm.....I highly doubt that, I guess it could be true......but sounds like you are reaching a bit.....or just trying to stuff 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb bag  :P